Advice on concerns

Rachael29

Apr 10, 2024
Hello! I am trying to find advice on behalf of my family, my grandma has dementia, i have no control over her care this is handled by other family members who are doing all they can working with social services to resolve the situation, my grandma has been in a care home on a temporary basis while we found a more suitable permanent care home for her, we've had so many issues since she was moved into this place including her getting a fungal infection because they were failing to wash and change her, a report of safeguarding concern has been raised however the date of the transition to entering into a full contract with this care home is looming and were worried her application to a more suitable care home wont be approved in time , i wondered if anyone knew of any way to delay a contract starting with this unsuitable care home to give us more time to get her out of there? It breaks my heart to see my grandma being mistreated and concerns are growing as theres reviews on this care homes website that date back a good while ago that express raising concerns has resulted in difficulties for families and residents in question and I'm concerned thats what were beginning to be met with, more concerning the newer reviews that are positive seem to be posted by staff not residents and families.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Thank you!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Rachael29 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your grandma and your concerns about the care that she is receiving. This is not something I have tackled myself. How much freedom you have to choose and move homes rather depends on funding arrangements. If your grandma has sufficient assets to be classed as a self-funder this may make it easier. If she is reliant on council funding this means that social services will determine which homes can be used.

In terms of a 'permanent' contract with the home there's usually a notice period which would allow cancellation.