Advice on a day out tomorrow

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Any ideas on whether a day out with tropical birds is a good idea for dad. Do birds have any problems when it comes to the world of DLB.

I have a parrot at home and dad took a real interest in her last night whilst she was out flying desperately trying to get her attention so she would land on him. So I'm guessing he has no fear involved but thats with just one bird.

There is a tropical bird world near us and dad used to take us in the summer as a child so its not a new place for him. My middle two children have gone away for a day or two with there father so I just have my youngest and my 17yr old with us so I'm thinking a day out may just work.

Please though if someone knows anything negative about birds and dementia please tell me before I possibly torture my dad unwittingly.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
It 's hard to tell until you get there, and as long as you can make a quick getaway if need be.
My Mum hated cats, despite us having them growing up.
She wouldn't touch a cat with a barge pole, and now she will call both our cats and pat them, and takes great delight when she calls them by name and they come over to her :)

Hope you do have a great day otherwise.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I would try and see how it goes. At the first sign of any agitation or discomfort bring him away. If you just took him for coffee and cake whilst the children continued enjoying the birds everyone would enjoy the visit. With dementia feelings, likes and dislikes change daily, the visit might be a great success, I hope so and you all have a great day.

Jay

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Just out of interest, at the aviary do they allow you in with the birds or is it behind wire netting? Or does a keeper come out and allow you to interact with one bird? If they are not likely to be flying overhead I don't think there will be a problem as your father has already expressed an interest in your parrot. I recently had an experience with a friend's love bird - it went to fly towards me and I'm afraid the flapping wings sent me into a bit of a panic and I ducked and frightened the bird!

Let us know how the day out went.

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Dad is having a lovely day.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Attachments

• 1407940706179.jpg
    1407940706179.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 377

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
The parrot ate dads coat quite happily.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Attachments

• 1407940856628.jpg
    1407940856628.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 339

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Well done, it seems a good time was had by all. Goes to prove that we should take a chance and see how it goes, again well done

Jay

Ps great photos

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Lovely to see your Dad having a nice time - and so at ease with the birds around him, it must have allayed all your fears. You'll have to take him again!

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Fab day had by all however it didn't pass by without incident.

I briefly left my dad in his chair at the place you can see in the second picture to take a picture of my little girl 10 paces away.

By the time I had got to my daughter dad was on his back in the wheel chair upended. Now look at the picture how the hell did he manage it. :confused:
Anyway about five people rushed to his aid before I could move and he was soon upright again. My heart seriously I don't know how it stands it sometimes. LOL

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Great photos! Wish I had somewhere like that near me. I must be more creative thinking of things to do with MIL.

I take dad all kind of places. Concerts ( our council does a 2 for 1 carer pass for all council run theatres I take dad to lunch showings of things while the kids are at school), museums, city farms, swimming (but thats had to stop until I find a new pool that can provide a hoist to get him in and out the pool now) seaside for the day, we have a hot air balloon ride paid for but not taken yet as every time we get new flight dates for the month dad is ill. So that is yet to happen but we can't wait.

I do worry I push him a bit far sometimes but if I didn't he would just sleep the rest of his life away when its obvious thats not how it needs to be.

His mobility was becoming an issue with getting out but we got wheels now:D and dads quite happy to be pushed around saves him getting tired and gives him more energy to enjoy what we are actually doing.

So until he shows disapproval of his days out then I'll drag him everywhere I can think off :D

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Great pics alexandra and I'm glad the day went so well :D

Now I see the photo, I remember you posted one some time ago of you and your dad at a concert. Brilliant that you can get out and about together....and your dad looks a lovely man :) xx