accusations of stealing

Bobs1

Jan 20, 2024
my wife is accusing my daughter of stealing things. it started with one cardigan and now have multiplied to 6 cardigans! we all know that this isnt true, but she wont listen to us. i am left not wanting to agree with her but if i dont then she says she want to divorce me and i think she is lying. i dont though want to be seen agreeing with something that isnt true and my daughter is very upset. we are trying to deal with it by saying we do believe her but then she says i need to confront my daughter. to the extent she wants her and my daughter to take a lie test. everything we have read including my two daughters say not to contradict my wife but we all are finding that very hard. and if we dont contradict it then we are basically agrreing my daughter is a thief which she isnt. any advice would be great as we are all struggling

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
She would say the lie test is faulty if it proved you dau innocent.

Just agree, set up a senario, chastise you dau by prior agreement and hope it ends it
it will be something ele tommorow.
Everyone else needs to agree that its mums truth and just go along with it, maybe dau would go as far as ''giving them back ''with a humble apology.

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello@Bobs1,
Everyone on this forum has had similar experiences I’m sorry to say. It is distressing and so hard to deal with.
All I can suggest is try ‘ love lies ‘ , your daughter is sewing a button back on, washing them, the moths have damaged them, make a noncommittal remark.
For the past week my husband is accusing our financial advisor of 15 years of stealing his pension pot, he talks of nothing else from the time he wakes up to when he goes to bed. However, for the passed 48 hrs, he has not mentioned it so hopefully he has forgotten, if it’s any consolation these sort of thoughts do pass…….only to be replaced by something else!
wishing you and your daughter strength and patience.

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
Dad's latest 'theft' is a lad my brother went to school with ( who was always a wrong un) has stolen his pension lump sum. Last time dad actually saw this person is around 40 years ago when my brother left school and long before he retired. He wants me to phone the police to get it sorted out. I've told him the lad left the country so Interpol are looking into it

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Dad's latest 'theft' is a lad my brother went to school with ( who was always a wrong un) has stolen his pension lump sum. Last time dad actually saw this person is around 40 years ago when my brother left school and long before he retired. He wants me to phone the police to get it sorted out. I've told him the lad left the country so Interpol are looking into it
Good thinking @wurrienot . 👍

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Yes it is terrible what Dementia does to someone we used to respect or look up to, now that is all taken away💔💔💔 from them. We now have to deal with every day things that just come out of no where and for no reason. Those accusations are so hurting for us day in and out. I know it is very hard to deal with. Just try and be strong and remember it is not the same person inside anymore. Do take care.