A&E admissions during lockdown

Violin1963

May 9, 2018
Mum is in a residential care home with middle/late stage Alzheimer’s and we’ve just had a phone call to say she has had a fall and needs to go to hospital overnight for observations. No-one from the home is allowed to go with her and none of the family are allowed either. I’m worried that she’ll be anxious without a familiar face, won’t be able to communicate and make herself understood and also worried about the risks of COVID going into hospital. Has anyone else been in this situation?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
A & E is keeping all covid cases seperate from non covid. But also has walls rather than curtains between bays. All staff are in full ppe with glove etc changes between patients to minimise any risk of transmission.

I realise that this might be a bit scary but care home staff are wearing masks at the moment as well.

My friend works on A & E and she was certainly experienced in dementia when I saw her in action when my mum was there in Jan. I'm sure the staff are doing their best to overcome the issues.

Violin1963

May 9, 2018
A & E is keeping all covid cases seperate from non covid. But also has walls rather than curtains between bays. All staff are in full ppe with glove etc changes between patients to minimise any risk of transmission.

I realise that this might be a bit scary but care home staff are wearing masks at the moment as well.

My friend works on A & E and she was certainly experienced in dementia when I saw her in action when my mum was there in Jan. I'm sure the staff are doing their best to overcome the issues.
Thank you for your reassurances.
We have been with mum on a few occasions to A&E prior to this national emergency and the staff do work well and I’m sure that will not falter but in my past experience little things like, not understanding what someone is doing, needing a drink or the toilet get overlooked when a patient can’t communicate. I know these little things aren’t important in the big scheme of things but this oversight of dignity is a major disadvantage for Alzheimer’s patients going into hospitals alone.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
My wife was rushed to A&E the other week, unlike normal times there was no waiting for hours in the corridor before even being seen. She had CT scan plus blood tests and was out within a few hours.

Violin1963

May 9, 2018
My wife was rushed to A&E last week, unlike normal times there was no waiting for hours in the corridor before even being seen. She had CT scan plus blood tests and was out within a few hours.
That is reassuring, thank you Alex. We’re you able to go with her?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
We’re you able to go with her?
No, and more distressing I was not able to get through to the hospital using the telephone, thankfully our social worker was able to get an update on her condition to me.
One thing I did do was to order an ID bracelet with our telephone and email details on, so next time the hospital will be able to keep in contact.

Violin1963

May 9, 2018
No, and more distressing I was not able to get through to the hospital using the telephone, thankfully our social worker was able to get an update on her condition to me.
One thing I did do was to order an ID bracelet with our telephone and email details on, so next time the hospital will be able to keep in contact.
That is a very good idea Alex.
How worrying and stressful for you, I hope you and your wife are reunited.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mamma1936