1st timer

Ali’s dad

Aug 11, 2019
Hello, I have joined today as I wanted to share my story, hope that’s ok...my dad who is 88 has vascular dementia. He still lives at home with mum (87) near my brother and his family. Dad is getting progressively worse and the only calming influence is mum who he follows around the house all day. He is becoming increasingly belligerent and can be rude and argumentative. My brother has managed to arrange respite in a day centre which unfortunately my dad is very resistant to and has been exceptionally rude to the staff and I fear this could worsen as he pushed one lady the last time he was there. My mum is very depressed but won’t make the decision to have him put into care. Should he be in care at this point? Thanks x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Ali’s dad and welcome to DTP

Could any of the family get your Dad to see his GP? there is medication that can help calm things before they escalate into a major situation.
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post this is a supportive and friendly forum

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If your Mum can't cope anymore, then yes, care should definitely be considered. Don't let it get to a crisis! Are social services involved at all?