1st Anniversary - A Tribute to my mum

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Today is the 1st anniversary of my dear mum’s death. To say it has been a difficult year would be a gross understatement. I have missed her every minute of every single day, and no, the missing doesn’t get any easier.

What I have realised is that most people who came to know mum over the last years of her life simply think of her as ‘Betty with Alzheimer’s’, this wasn’t my mum at all, those years were just a heart breaking time that little by little took my mum away from me. I feel the 1st anniversary of her death a fitting time to pay tribute to my lovely mum and to tell a little of her story, of the woman my mum really was.

Mum was born in Trehafod South Wales on the 25 May 1918. The middle daughter of three to Annie, whose family originated from Ireland, and Thomas whose family originated from Brecon. The family moved from Trehafod when mum was a toddler to Cardiff. She was brought up in a Catholic household, and never missed Church on Sunday, and was a member of the Legion of Mary, and she constantly did voluntary work through the church.

On leaving school mum trained as tailor in Cardiff, she became an accomplished seamstress. A work colleague introduced her to my father.

Mum and dad married on the 15 May 1936 when mum was 18 years old. Dad was a Warrant Officer Navigator in the Royal Air force. Following their marriage they moved to Bicester where dad was stationed.

In June 1939 their first child was born, a son. Following the outbreak of WW11 mum and my brother, then just a small baby, returned to Cardiff on the advice of the RAF to live with my grandparents, as did mum’s sister, who had married a sailor in the Royal Navy, they had a daughter, who my brother was brought up with over the next 4 years. They were all very close as a family, trying to make the best of the most dreadful times, the sisters took it in turns to queue for ‘anything that was going’ during rationing. I remember my mum telling me, ‘if you saw a queue you joined it and found out what was going later’.

During an air raid over Germany dad’s plane was shot down, he was missing presumed killed and mum was in receipt of a War Widows Pension for about a year, mum told me she never believed that dad had been killed, she knew he was alive somewhere, eventually the Red Cross traced my dad, he was a PoW for 4 years.

In July 1940 mum’s youngest sister died of renal failure, my grandmother never really recovered from this. My grandmother to quote mum just about functioned on a daily basis, mum took over the running of the home, and basically kept the family together.

2 January 1941 during the bombings on Cardiff mum’s family home in Cardiff was bombed, although the house was totally destroyed, the family were unhurt. They all went to live with a cousin on a remote farm. Mum and her sister then worked at an armaments factory, this was something she kept from my father in her letters to him, she didn’t want him to worry about her. Along with her sister they had to walk 4 miles over fields to get to the road to catch the bus to the factory, if it was raining, they hid their wellies in a hedge ready for the walk home.

When dad was repatriated they once again returned to Cardiff, however due to dad’s poor health following his treatment in the PoW camps he had to retire from the RAF. He retrained as a commercial refrigeration engineer.

In August 1953 I was born. Mum an accomplished seamstress, and she also enjoyed knitting, made most of my clothes, and all the soft furnishings for the home, she was a really ‘fussy’ housewife, and everything was kept immaculate. She had her ‘work’ clothes, and her ‘going out’ clothes. Everything had to washed and ironed ‘just so’. Her favourite pastime was moving around the furniture, and shortening the legs on all the furniture in the house. My dad maintained good humouredly low furniture made my 4.8” mum feel taller!

Mum returned to work in approx. 1967, this was a clerical job, which was a tremendous credit to her as she had not worked since marrying dad in 1938. Mum continued to work full time until the age of 63.

Dad died very suddenly of a heart attack in 1982. My mum’s world fell apart. After dad’s death, mum visited me every single day, we were best friends, we did everything together. She went with us on holiday to America, Spain and Cyprus, holidays she loved every second of. She was such an important part of everyday family life. Mum also visited my brother when he lived in Indonesia and Nigeria for months at a time, when she went away I was lost without her.

My only child was born in December 1983; mum always said ‘God had sent him to ease the sadness of losing my soul mate’. My son became the centre of her world; they had an amazingly close relationship. She loved nothing more than to walk to the village hall to collect him from nursery, they played a game, he would hide under the table, and she would pretend she didn’t know where he was, until the little giggles came from under the table. She treasured all the little paintings he had done for her; these always took pride of place on a wall in her home.

When he went to school, his Nan would stand in the porch looking out for the school bus, but as he got older, this became a bit of an embarrassment to the young adolescent, he would say ‘aw Nan do you have to wait in the porch, my friends can see you from the bus’!!! Nan would give a little laugh, and be in the porch just the same the following day!

Mum’s life totally revolved around her husband, children and grandchildren. She never looked to the wider world for companionship, always content to be with just her family. She was always proud of her family, for instance, when her granddaughter, my brother’s daughter qualified as a Nurse, and when Grandson became a Police Officer, she used to say, “I am so proud, I could stop strangers in the street to tell them how well they have done”.

Mum then became ill with Alzheimer’s. Before this disease took over, she was a quiet, softly spoken lady, to who good manners was everything. She was positively fastidious about her appearance and her home, My brother and me know all too well that she did the laundry every single day, we were divested of our school uniforms as soon as we came home from school so she could ‘get the washing on’. This was who mum really was. It was heartbreaking to see such a radical change in mum because of Alzheimer’s. Words will never describe how devastating these years were.

My mum was a ‘lady’ in the true sense of the word, who was a homemaker, the centre of her family, and who loved all of her family greatly. This was who my mum really was, and not ‘Betty with Alzheimer’s’.

Good night, God bless mum, always in my thoughts, forever in my heart.

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Cate

What a wonderfull tribute to your MUM. And may I say you told us so much about her:)
Not betty with alzheimers, BUT your mum,a lady, thank you.
Barb X & Ron X

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Cate,

Thank you for sharing a beautiful memory of your Mother.

It is a very difficult time but you have in your heart memories of one lovely, loving Mum,

God Bless

Love from
Christine xx

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Dear Cate
How lovely your memorial words for your Mum are, its so sad to see our loved ones change so drastically and become someone completely different, just keep remembering the good memories. Thoughts are with you.
Starshine x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Cate,
What a beautiful memorial to your mum. Have you found that all your memories of what your mother was like before Alzheimer's have come back more and more? The disease is just all-consuming when we are caught up in its coils.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Thank you all for your kind words.

Joanne, I fight to keep the bad memories at bay every single day, they are upper most in my mind, I have dreadful nightmares of sitting with my mum during her final week, and her last breath will stay with me forever. What does help me remember mum pre AD are all the lovely photographs I have of her, they keep my 'real' mum alive in my memory, and were my inspiration in writing her final tribute.

What has hurt is how 'friends' have quickly forgotten my mum's passing, I had a lovely PM from someone here who I had never met, and just one other friend remembered mum's anniversary and sent me a card, I guess folk just get on with their own lives.

Love to all
Cate xxx

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Cate

That is a beautiful story of your dear mum,my hubby wants to know why i am crying,my thoughts are with you take care Marian x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
CAte

That is a lovely story. I found writing about my Mum's life helped me to remember her as she was, not how she became....and that first anniversary hurts so much, doesn't it.

(((hugs)))

Love

Mameeskye

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Cate

Thanks for sharing the memories of your special mum, just wanted to send you love and best wishes.

Love Alex x

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Your account of your Mothers life touched me deeply Cate.

It made me feel a little angry that when I look round homes for Jean, I see a lot of "Betty's with Alzheimers" who are just left aside with no visitors, no family and only faces they recognise through daily contact.

Underneath each of these people is someone that once was somebody. They once had a place in society and made their own mark in the world.

By sharing your Mothers story with us you have identified to everyone who she was.

I just wish that all accounts that are possible to be shared can be told like you told it.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Cate,

What a lovely tribute to your mum. Dementia has such a stigma attached to it .... that's my experience anyway. Last March was the first anniversary of my dad's death he was remembered with fondness, he never had dementia. Then my poor old mum who had dementia and died eight weeks after dad and not one of her or dad's family cared to remember her passing.

I'm happy for you that you can see beyond those dementia years and proudly share your mum's life allowing others to know who 'Betty' truly was before dementia robbed her of her very being.

Cate, I know the struggles you face dealing with your loss and I hope peace will find you.

Take Care,
Love Taffy.

suze

Oct 12, 2006
Sussex
It surely must get easier?

Hi Cate
I know what you mean about all bad memories...but it surely must be the the good memories overtake you eventually? My Mum died of this cruel disease almost 6 months ago. I am only now beginning to forget the hoists/battles with eating and drinking and medication and the thin little lady who died. Now I think about the woman who owned the ring I wear on my finger every day - a bright, caring, kind mother who loved her kids/husband and her home....
In some ways I still have very sad days because it is hard to accept losing 'that' Mum.....but I think it helps to heal.
I hope your journey is not too hard and that you can realise that your Mum is with the always, in you.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Joanne, I fight to keep the bad memories at bay every single day, they are upper most in my mind, I have dreadful nightmares of sitting with my mum during her final week, and her last breath will stay with me forever. What does help me remember mum pre AD are all the lovely photographs I have of her, they keep my 'real' mum alive in my memory, and were my inspiration in writing her final tribute.

What has hurt is how 'friends' have quickly forgotten my mum's passing, I had a lovely PM from someone here who I had never met, and just one other friend remembered mum's anniversary and sent me a card, I guess folk just get on with their own lives.

Love to all
Cate xxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Cate, I share your sorrow for your dear mum. God bless you both.
Love and hugs from Deborah xx

Last edited: