16margaret

16 margaret

Sep 28, 2018
Mum is 92 and is getting very confused. The drs want her to have bloods taken and a memory test but she is refusing to go . How do i approach the subject of alzimers with her. She is asking us to go to the police station to report my father missing,. She cannt understsnd why he hasn,t come home ,he passed away 26 years ago. She also cannt understand why her own mother has stopped visiting! We ate having a lot of other problems with her memory wise. Where do i start.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

try again

Jun 21, 2018
write to her doctor and explain the problem then ask if he can call in her for a medicine review or something.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi @16margaret and welcome to TP.
I never used the words dementia or Alzheimer's with my mum. I always said she had an appointment for a check up, or they wanted to check her medication....whatever worked at the time. Once she saw the consultant, she liked him, and then I was able to say that "that nice doctor wants to see you again, that's nice of him, isn't it? Now he's given you an appointment wouldn't it be rude not to go? We could see him before we go shopping..." And so on. It wasn't easy and I found it hard to fudge the truth, but it was the only way to get her seen.
The phase didn't actually last long because once she had the diagnosis, they didn't offer follow up visits.....but that's another story!!
Keep trying and good luck.
Lindy xx