“Frequently Jumpy at the slightest noise”

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi my friends and many thanks for the support and understanding…

(sharonbrown) I can concur with what you said about your mum and the (Teaspoon being dropped onto a stainless steel draining board) I know these sort of things will happen and that it just an accident in fact the same sort of thing happens to me here or maybe our granddaughter drops one of her toys on the floor but that sudden shock of the sound can resound right through the body…

(justjimjams ) I know this feeling as well as quiet often Sumi will ‘with all good intentions’ walk up behind me very quietly so as not to make me jump and then just give me a gentle loving kiss on the back of my neck, ‘but’ the problem is that I almost jump through the ceiling.

Something that I have always advised people is that when approaching anyone who has any type of dementia always approach them from the ‘Front’ and not from behind or from the side, try to get into their line of vision first! I know it can sometimes be very difficult yet it can prevent a lot of nervousness

Best wishes ;)
Barry

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Well written

I have CADASIL, early stage vascular dementia. As a result, I have hyperaccusis and auditory processing disorder. I have read too often of the false need for hearing aids. A good book is, "When The Brain Can't Hear".

All written here is a better explanation, very detailed, than I would have taken time to write.

Kudos to you!

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
Thank you Barry - I care for my mum, she does not seem to have a problem with noise. However, I have just become a Dementia Friend and this insight, is very useful information, should I come across someone who appears very frightened for no reason.

Niet53

Oct 16, 2012
Tasmania
testing to send

Testing to send Thursday 2nd October

Hello there Barry,
I have just taken delivery of 10Kg of Taurine for own use and further research.
It appears that individuals with 'Anxiety' - and many other conditions - lack their own 'Endogenous' Taurine which pharmaceutical drugs, and 'stress', step by step destroy.

[Endogenous substances are those that originate from within an organism, tissue, or cell.]

I have always been susceptible to laud noise having only one hearing ear and I think the phenomenon is called 'Startle Complex’ and taking supplemented Taurine should help.
I will be very interested for your thoughts . . .

Will write more fully soon.

Attached PDF gives a little history before my brain damage in 2005.

I have mentioned about this in some of my other articles about how sudden noises or motion can affect us making us suddenly Jump out of our skin, so I now want to elaborate on this topic which some non sufferers seem to find extremely amusing when they see it happen to us…

If only all the shocks of this terrible illness could be eradicated with just cuddles and kisses… as I’d be first in the cue…

Barry

Attachments

• 2 AUT research 20-2-12 ed1.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 502
  • role of amygdala glutamate receptors in fear learning Davis05 ed [1page].pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
Thank you Barry. My husband is often startled by my noise in the kitchen or going in or out of the side door.

I have started telling him, I'm just doing ...whatever, or it's just me. Now I know more I can hopefully make things more comfortable for him.

Kisses and cuddles to you.:)

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you al for your support, understanding and the information which I will check out;)
Best wishes
Barry