Daytime TV vs. sunshine & sea view

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Apologies - this is such a trivial matter compared to what many of you are facing but I don't know where else to find some advice on whether I am over reacting.

My Mum (mixed AD/VD) has been receiving nursing care in a home which has a mix of residents, some with dementia and some just with physical ailments.

When first being shown round, although we walked through a large TV lounge which I found rather gloomy and which had armchairs arranged around the walls occupied by seemingly apathetic or depressed residents, I was cheered by the friendly and chatty atmosphere in the sun lounge, which has lovely views. At first I used to find Mum in this sunny lounge - she loves company although her significant memory loss means she can't always join in conversations.

During the last 3 weeks I have only found Mum in the sunny room once - and she was happy and smiling, even before she caught sight of me. I visit daily, and on all other recent visits have found her in the "gloomy room". I spoke to a couple of carers after a week or so of this as I was upset to see her there all the time and they did say that residents are allowed to sit where they want - but I am fairly certain that Mum is just being put in the TV lounge and not actually being given a clear choice of where to go, and unfortunately she seems to have the impression that she is not allowed to move. I keep telling her that she is allowed to sit in the sunny room but unless I am there to help her to stand and to explain to her that there is a sunny room then I don't believe she would have the capacity to insist on being helped to move to the sunny room. A couple of times she has asked me to "get her out" of the TV lounge and generally looks slightly anxious until she sees me. I then often get "thank goodness you're here". She generally has no idea what is playing on the large screen TV which dominates the room.

At home, she would "follow the sun" moving from the front to back lounge as the sunshine moved, and loved to look out of the window at the trees, birds, sky. Wonder if my belief that the sunny lounge would be better for her is based on my wish to see her spending time with chatty ladies and looking at pleasant views - perhaps her needs have changed??? But I fear that, by placing her in a chair in the "gloomy room" each day, the carers think she is becoming used to sitting there and that she will just accept that is her place in the world. She will start to just fit in with the other room occupants and I will see the same apathetic stare.

I don't sleep very well and get really wound up about my lovely Mum's decline so can't judge whether I should escalate my concerns about where Mum is now being put each day or whether I should just try to accept it and keep taking her out of the care home for trips into the daylight as often as possible. At present I just feel that all my efforts to cheer and motivate her are being undermined by her being "dumped" in the TV lounge. I am so wound up by seeing her look unhappy that I fear losing my temper if I do try to raise it again!

Well done to anyone who has read this far. Any factual knowledge of the effect of sitting in a bright sunny room with lovely views vs a tv lounge would be interesting. I feel that the sunny room must be better for my Mum (who is on anti-depressants) but don't have clinical research to back up my gut feeling.

carer21

Jan 17, 2014
Hello gigglemore. Understand your concerns. Mum lives with us but does do similar here. Always an "outside" lady loving birds garden seasons etc also has opportunity to follow her past interests but often remains sat in her rooms on the "dark side" of the house and despite all encouragement to come out to garden or conservatory with me says no. Then says to others that she's not allowed to do anything or will be in trouble if she moves. In her world it seems that's what she's genuinely thinking. Some days are just like that but others make up for it. Possibly your mum has been asked/encouraged but declined at the time too? And then forgotten so it seems to her like she's stuck? Maybe try each time you go asking how often they encourage her out even if she declined half hour ago? Maybe try saying (even again) how you chose the home for its sunny aspect for mum and that you feel she may need a bit more encouraging to the sunny room if they possibly could and you know how busy they are etc but you think it would really be good for mums well being etc. Sure others will have other ideas. X

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My mum used to only retain the last word or two, so it maybe worth asking the carers to phase the Q the other way round- at least you might be able to establish if she is answering honestly or simply saying the bit she recalls

''Would you like to sit in the conservatory or the lounge?'' My mum would have answered lounge everytime as it was the last word she heard.

Phrased the other way, ''Would you like to sit in the lounge or the conservatory ?'' she'd have said conservatory.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
We have the same situation. Give MIL the choice of watching TV or sitting in the garden when its lovely out she would always say 'I want to watch TV'. She once sat out in the garden but as there is no conversation she gets board with it

When she goes into respite I always find her in the big TV room sleeping!

Sorry I can not be of any help

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Thanks 1954 - when I bring Mum home for a meal she still always chooses to sit in the sun and look out of the window, and may pick up a newspaper to browse if I leave one handy. I used to offer to put the TV on for her but she declines, although I did manage to persuade her to let me turn the chair round to watch Songs of Praise last Sunday as I know she likes to sing. As far as I can see, the TV lounge at the home only has "conversation" when the staff are doing something for a resident,when there is a visitor, or when a distressed resident is calling out. It's the sun lounge where there is a bit of conversation. Mum does watch in her bedroom DVDs I bought of familiar characters and looks happy and interested, although I'm sure that she can't follow the plots. I thought it was lovely one day when she told me a famous TV detective had visited her!

Carer21 & Jessbow - Many thanks for your comments about how the question is phrased. Truth is I don't really believe Mum is being given the choice, from the careful phrasing of the way answers were given to my previous concerns - the carers did not actually say "She was asked and said she would prefer the TV lounge", just that residents "can sit where they want". So I'm off to visit now, ready to stay calm with a smile on my face as I suggest that her choice of where to sit be phrased in a different way, and ask them to explain how it has previously been worded.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Still fuming - just want to moan

Found Mum in the "gloomy room" yet again, looking depressed and staring at the wall (not even the wall with the TV, which I think Mum just finds an irritating background noise). There happened to be 2 nurses in there at the time so I explained my distress at seeing Mum sitting in a place yet again where she clearly looked so unhappy. They told me Mum was allowed in the sun lounge when I was visiting but because there was not constant staff supervision in there, she was in the TV lounge. I was furious firstly because there has frequently been no staff in the gloomy TV lounge anyway and secondly because this is a significant change in Mum's care which should have been discussed with me - as I certainly don't know why they would have reassessed her to need constant supervision. I visit every day, sometimes just for 2 or 3 hours in the evening to put her to bed but often take Mum out in the day when the weather is fine and am her one to one carer for up to 6 or 7 hours on those days.

In my opinion, this change to having her sit in the TV lounge is having a very negative effect on her mood, which of course impacts on everything else and is distressing to see. So made appointment to see nurse in charge on Monday morning. She assured me that they do encourage Mum to sit in the sun lounge, and would get the carers to take note of my request that one of Mum's books or mags be brought from her room for her to browse.

Every afternoon since then I am again finding Mum in the gloomy room and no sign of a book or mag. Asked a nurse for an explanation today and her response was "well maybe they thought she would like the television" Aargh! Don't these people communicate - why on earth did the nurse in charge assure me Mum sits in the sun lounge when the evidence of my own eyes now makes it a month (apart from one day) that she has been in the TV lounge unless I rescue her??? Mum has retained her sweet nature which makes me feel fiercely protective when I feel such a vulnerable lady is not being treated with the consideration she deserves. How can they bear to walk past her and see her look so unhappy?

I feel so disappointed with the nursing staff - I do so much personal care for Mum it must make their lives easier so I do expect a bit of honesty and respect in return. Rant over. I was going to meet a friend tomorrow for a long stress-busting walk but now I feel I have to go to the nursing home instead to check on Mum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gigglemore

Go for the stress busting walk with your friend tomorrow, you need it.

Then make a appointment for a formal chat with the manager when you can address your concerns. Sometimes no action is taken when you have informal chats with carers, but putting your concerns on record might improve the situation for your mum.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Keep fighting this one. This is a battle worth winning. It's just finding the way to win.
The 2 carers saying it was because she needed supervision... Well that was an excuse, not a reason. You have spoken to a nurse and still no further forward???
Maybe mum gets tired and can't walk as far as the sunny room in one go? (Obviously I have no idea of the geography of the place). Maybe mum is simply used to walking to the TV room and simply walks in there.
My gut feeling is that it must be "easier" for the carers. If someone is plonked in front of the TV then they don't need to do much else. What people don't often realise is that plonking in a light and airy room with windows where you can bird or people watch can be far more uplifting and entertaining.
Good luck and do let us know how it goes with the manager. If no improvement the a complaint letter voicing your concerns and detailing how you have been forced to escalate this and had rubbish excuses as to why this hasn't been done. If you can show all the contradictions then you can show you are not being unreasonable and you are fully aware that so far you have been fobbed off.... And for what real reason???? My guess is lack of communication and they simply can't be bothered. (I'm angry on your behalf!)
X

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Many thanks for your support. Manager (who I rate very highly) is away at present so I won't be able to see her for over a week but I am keeping a note of what happens each day. Mum just wanted to sleep all day today so was in her bedroom - which is sunny and has a lovely view. She livened up just a little this evening and I persuaded her to read part of a bedtime story to me and the cuddly toys ("The Princess and the Pea" - they all live happily ever after at the end, which is just what we long to hear). It was lovely hearing her read with expression - felt my frustration and despair at the disease slipping away for a little while as I listened.

Compared to many TPers I'm so lucky to be still able to enjoy nice times with my Mum - her happiness is worth fighting for. Thanks again.