Lack of inhibition

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Lack if inhibition especially in these current times with so much bad press but I understand this is 'normal' for some dementia patients. I want to know how anyone else has dealt with the situation.

The carers accept very graciously the advances of my dad because it is dementia but I want to know if anyone has had prescribed MDA or might be referred to as MPA. All I get from the professionals is its normal as dementia progresses and all they can do is sedate, I don't agree hence my request on this forum. Will help when I next speak to them.

He can't help it and has no recollection after but my concern is for the carers they should not have to just laugh it off, not these days.

Thank you

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
I can't help with the specific medication question but I really don't think you should be worrying about your dad's behaviour unless it becomes a problem physically or otherwise much worse. I don't believe that dementia sufferers are subject to the same high standards of non-discrimination on grounds of gender or anything else! There is an old chap in the NH where my mum is who often says inappropriate things. It genuinely doesn't bother the young female carers who are usually the target. We all have a giggle together and they have the training to recognise it for what it is - a consequence of the dementia. And it doesn't bother me if he says anything to me (I'm almost flattered given my age!). I was slightly embarrassed when he said something to my 15-year old niece, but it's not such a bad thing for youngsters to have an understanding of this kind of thing and it's easily enough laughed off.

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Loss of inhibition is quite common in Dementia I have experienced it in different forms with my dad the hardest one to deal with was this one.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...s-tried-to-kiss-his-carer&p=930449#post930449

Dad also used to have no issues with getting his winky out for a pee whenever or wherever took his fancy.

This only lasted for a short time probably the first 6 months of this year but since his hospital stay and rapid decline he isn't capable of any of these issues anymore.

I know it wasn't my dad behaving like this it was dementia. The carer involved in the issue I posted a link to never did return to care for my dad as it happens, she decided that she couldn't cope with it and left the profession.
I know nobody in this day and age should have to deal with inappropriate behaviour in there work place but if they undergo training in Dementia care then they will be aware of the possibility of this happening and are trained to deal with it.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Thank you for your replies, sadly it is not just verbal and more advanced than a kiss, he shows his excitement and asks to be satisfied, I am putting it in a polite way. I hope that along with all the other stages such as wanting to go home to his parents even seeing children play these only lasted a few months that this will only last a few months before the next stage somehow I don't think it will hence asking for him to be medicated. There is a tablet which only has to be given in the short term. The dr's don't live with someone that they deny medication for if they did perhaps it would be different. I won't give up.

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
So sorry to hear that Cloverland. But at the end of the day it's just another effect of the disease and is just as entitled to receive proper medical attention as any other.

My mum is nearing the end of the difficult road but if there's one thing I've learned along the way it's that you have to be really stubborn and persistent. Get yourself as well-informed as possible from TP and elsewhere on the internet before you talk to the Dr, and refuse to take no for an answer if you think you're getting fobbed off. I long ago learned that being nice gets you nowhere with a lot of healthcare professionals and becoming assertive and "difficult" is often the only way our relatives get the treatment or care they need. If there is genuinely nothing they can do without having unacceptable down sides, then the very least you deserve is a proper explanation. A thick skin is an essential asset when caring for someone with this horrible disease!

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Annie and everyone thank you for your replies. Oh I know only too well that these professionals will fob us lay people off after all what do we know we only live with it. Anyhow, I have a telephone appointment with gp tomorrow I have the name of the medication and the link to it which is via Alzheimer's own web site.

I had to fight really hard to get haloperidol prescribed and an increase of the rivastigmine since creating merry hell then they have left us alone not even doing the follow up but I'm guessing it because they know we will call the second there's a medical problem other than that we are on our own and that's bad, luckily I have my son and his girlfriend who deserve a gold medal for what they do.

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
FIL had vascular dementia at the same time as his wife had alzheimers - double nightnmare! FIL was obsessed with wanting sex (at 78) and also wanting to marry his carers , and MIL got muddled up with her husband and sons name and told everyone including an ambulance driver who was called after she had a fall that her son wanted to have sex with her all the time ! :-( We managed to talk him out of having to put in an official report.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
FIL had vascular dementia at the same time as his wife had alzheimers - double nightnmare! FIL was obsessed with wanting sex (at 78) and also wanting to marry his carers , and MIL got muddled up with her husband and sons name and told everyone including an ambulance driver who was called after she had a fall that her son wanted to have sex with her all the time ! :-( We managed to talk him out of having to put in an official report.

Oh dear, my dad hasn't yet made accusations but surely the medic would have realised it wasn't true.

On a plus, I have managed to get the MHT to prescribe the medication required to stop my dad from having these uncontrollable urges. My message to everyone is NEVER just accept it when these professionals say no and all they want to do is sedate, there was and is another alternative, all we have to do now is monitor and make any adjustments as and when required.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband (Alz & Vas Dem) has times when his 'needs' need to be satisfied. Fortunately it is only at my expense but he becomes a real pest.
In the initial stages, he was prescribed Benperidol but this eventually resulted in very bad tremors & he was hospitalized and taken off it.
Now the 'needs' are fortunately few & far between and I was advised to give him a kiss & cuddle, although a male counsellor told me that this was giving him the wrong signals :eek::eek:
So I am no further forward with the answer.
Sorry I cant help but it seems to be quite a common issue