Sleeping her life away

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
I'm lucky if I get open eyes, mum sleeps her ife away - I should be grateful she isnt falling all the time, she isn't screaming out of the window she wants to go home, but I miss that at least there was some of my mum left.

At the moment it feels like there is nothing much left at all - I guess we are moving nearer last stage than later now - I htink I'm just writing this to make sense and try and accep it myself - this is impossibly hard isnt it :(

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Your not alone

I'm lucky if I get open eyes, mum sleeps her ife away - I should be grateful she isnt falling all the time, she isn't screaming out of the window she wants to go home, but I miss that at least there was some of my mum left.

At the moment it feels like there is nothing much left at all - I guess we are moving nearer last stage than later now - I htink I'm just writing this to make sense and try and accep it myself - this is impossibly hard isnt it :(

This is such a terrible disease and its hard to be positive. Your Mum is calm now and if you hold her hand and talk to her she will feel you there. Keep talking here and make a deal with yourself to keep going for today. Don't worry about tomorrow as you cant change that. You are strong to have endured so far and be so far and be such a loving daughter.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's the way it goes, I'm afraid.
My husband seemed to be always asleep during his last months.
Sometimes I thought he was just closing his eyes, as I could get a little response if I put a spoonful of yoghurt to his lips and he would open his mouth but at others he just couldn't be woken.

I felt that at least if he was asleep he wasn't having to face the daily challenges of pain and the disease. He was in his own world and I hoped it was a happier one than the real one.

I do think boredom plays its part too. As I remarked to a carer, why would he bother to stay awake!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother sleeps practically all the time too. She has been doing this for the past year. It doesn't help that she is bedbound so that probably encourages her to sleep more and she is taking a lot of sedating medication. She is slightly more alert in the mornings. It is hard to find the opportunity to get her to eat and drink and even when she does, she has her eyes closed. She will speak and respond when she is awake which I'm thankful for. I just think, at least she is peaceful when she's sleeping and not in pain which she often is when awake.

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just a thought, and a chord that hit home with me whilst looking after my MIL with cancer, she slept and had little enthusiasm for anything else. I tried to keep her involved and interested in other things. It was terminal cancer with denial on her part, who can blame her? One day she said " I like to sleep, as in my dreams I can run and walk and drive my car.

My Dad seems to close his eyes a lot now and I believe he is just living in his past, in the pub, playing the piano and singing!

Turmoil

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
Same for my mum

My mum is like that too now. She has recently become more sleepy and is eating less. She had been more or less the same for about a year and nine months and is now moving on down the inevitable decline that is this terrible disease. She seems to hold her head to the side too. My mum hadn't seen her friend of nearly 50 years for a while and when her friend came, she gave her a lovely smile.
:(:( :(:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5