My Demons of the night

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Sumi has just been telling me that last night was another very bad night as apparently I had only just dropped off to sleep when she said that my body, arms and legs where thrashing about on the bed and then I started shouting out loud although Sumi could not make out what I was saying, she woke me up and made me sit on the edge of the bed to drink some water and asked me what had I been dreaming about, but I had no recollection of the actual nightmare apart from being able to say that it was horrific and awfully graphic, she settled be back down and I must have drifted back off to sleep but it couldn't have been for more than a few minutes when she was having to wake me up again having yet another nightmare which now seem to be getting worse and occurring every night and I can tell that my sleep disturbance is making Sumi very tired from lack of her own good night’s sleep yet she never complains.

Theses nightmares or what I call the demons of the night utterly drain me out and quiet often I wake up feeling totally exhausted yet I can never remember “why or what” I was hallucinating about it’s as though such moments in time never existed yet my daily exhaustion tells a different tale and if it wasn’t but for Sumi I would not have even remembered any of the nightly events.

I know that there’s not much we can do about the nightmares although there are some medications to help lessen the problem although like most Dementia medications they done work for everyone which I can attest to so I just have to accept that they can be part and parcel of my Alzheimer’s and Dementia, yet I still think that I am better off than many others with this terrible illness so I just put my Alzheimer’s and Dementia down to being a mere dropped thread in the tapestry of my life...

“Please note” that the timing of this my post “My Demons of the night” and Norrms post is purely coincidental, yet it just goes to show how the nightmares and hallucinations can affect those of us with this terrible

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Barry

Have you ever tried listening to a relaxation CD, in bed as you are preparing for sleep. Just a thought.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Gosh I was going to say the same as Grannie G. I also wonder if quiet music or a relaxation tape would help.

It must be very distressing for you Barry and I suppose anything that might help is worth a go.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Have you ever tried listening to a relaxation CD, in bed as you are preparing for sleep. Just a thought.

Good idea Sylvia

I do that myself.

Barry and Sumi so sorry that you are both so exhausted. I hope you can both have a doze today.

Barry-so full of admiration for you -how you manage to post so eloquently and continue to educate us is heart stopping.

Take care both of you

Lyn T XX

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi my friends and many thanks for the comments in-fact I have tried listening to quiet relaxing Music "BUT" I find it very disorienting and causes me to be even more unsettled, normally Sumi will gently massage my arms and neck which is great but it doesn't stop the terrors of the night:eek:

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Barry l was thinking of you a few days ago, sorry you are having nightmares, l had a friend who had nightmares it was cured by hypnoisis, she didn't have AD but suffered a lot of stress, which this horrible AD causes, just a thought it maybe just another phase, hope it soon goes away ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Barry, the night terrors must be so tiring for you both and upsetting for Sumi to witness you being so frightened.
My only suggestion is perhaps some essential oils for which Sumi could use when she massages your arms and neck.. Some are credited with being very effective for relaxation and calming.
Of course, it is quite possible that Sumi already uses these.

I do hope these pass soon. x

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you for your kind replies and thoughts my friends.

In-fact (pamann) I have often wondered about hypnoses and if it could be of help people with dementia, I will have to ask my doctor what her views are on the subject:D

And yes (Saffie) Sumi does massage my body with some aromatherapy oil which makes it very soothing but unfortunately it wears off.;)
Best wishes to you both
Barry

GirlWonder

Jul 12, 2014
Hi.. I take care of my mother and she began to have these same issues about a month ago. I discovered it was one of her nighttime medications that was causing hers. I'm not sure what kind of medication you are on, but before you go into something costly I would look at your medication and their side effects. I would also loom at your activities before going to bed and again restless leg syndrome can also have the "thrashing". Just some suggestions..

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
How are things with you Barry and Summi.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Pookie
Thanks for asking ‘yes’ not to bad just have to keep fighting on ;)
Hope you are also well :D

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Relaxation CD to sleep

I appreciate the kindness of your thought, but you need to know that our dementias change our brain function and what works for "normies" is irrelevant to those of us with the disease. Unless he is hurting himself, I suggest letting his sleep through the nightmares since he IS asleep in spite of the agitated quality of it. I do hope he has a protective bed bar as I do, because I have been known to fall out of bed. I have very vivid dreams, but always did anyway, and I have a dream blog. Right now he is being deeply affected in that part of the brain but it can get better with time. Keep him safe but don't wake him. They are, after all, just dreams which he often can't remember later anyway. I wonder if there is a stage of over-caring that debilitates the carer without helping people like us -- no attack intended. That is my two cents worth.

QUOTE=Grannie G;962379]Have you ever tried listening to a relaxation CD, in bed as you are preparing for sleep. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Pixie...

Mar 15, 2014
West Midlands
Reading you post Barry, and I realise I haven't had any of my demonic dreams full of supernatural powers and somebody shouting in my ear with such force that the physical power of the noise seems to slam me into waking up for about 4 months now, the same time that I started the phase 3 clinical trial drug. Maybe, just maybe it's working! And you know what, if I think about it, I can recall the day and date, I haven't been able to do that for a long time.
24/8 I've got a full day of repeat tests and I think I'm going to do better than I have done for a few years, let's see and I'll report back.
The trial drug I'm taking, methylene blue, is something I used to get from my vets 40 years ago to treat fungus on koi carp. If my results are good at the end of August I'd seriously consider doing some research and seeing if you can get hold of any anywhere.(and I'm not joking!) take care Barry, your a wonderful man and an inspiration to us all. X

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi my friends and a word of thanks for your replies and “YES” JTSA after living with my illness for over nine and a half years I do know that it changes our brain function, and I appreciate that all my various medication for my mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s LBD and Parkinson’s disease, Diabetes, and for my heart condition don’t help the sleeping and nightmare situation.

But it’s just a fact that with Alzheimer’s and LBD people can have awfully bad nightmares and sleeping problems which I do myself, in-fact last night was another prime example of which I can still recall I little of being (beaten, tortured and dreadfully harassed just because I have dementia, and then I was wondering around utterly lost until Sumi woke me up and then I was convinced that I was in FRANCE and she said that I even spoke ‘thank you’ to here in French) unfortunately such dreams and nightmares are just (Part and Parcel) of the illness.

Yes my nights can be very fraught and restless and at times when I awake in the morning the bed clothes are all tangled up making it look like I’ve been fighting all night, and NO I don’t have any bed rails as out here you can’t buy them there only available to the hospitals and there’s no such thing as (Social services) whereby you can borrow such items…

I have tried listening to music but I find it non-harmonies and grating to my brain, as I also have a big problem with too much noise causing me great stress so I prefer utter silence and Sumi relaxes me with so gentle massage and aromatherapy oil (Such can be our illness)

I’m pleased you got my two recipe book OK Pixy…

Kate Grillet

May 30, 2011
Kate G

My husband lived with Alzheimer's for 18 years, so we experienced a lot of different phases and challenges. After 4 years taking Aricept and his restless nights, hallucinations, and nausea (flaxseed oil helps this), I decided that maybe we could try letting nature take it's course. I read the research about coconut oil and with a few spoonfuls (organic, cold pressed) in his morning porridge every day, he became much calmer. I also managed to get a night sitter 3 times a week, so that I could sleep in another room and restore myself. Daily yoga, lots of singing and regular massage kept me strong. He also loved music and massage. If we are going to be carers for our loved ones, we have to look after ourselves first - I only learned this gradually after years of exhaustion. My man died in 2012 and I still miss him every day.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you for your comments 'Kate G' actually I do use flaxseed oil in the bread that I make and also take coconut oil.

Sorry to hear about your husband as this is a very cruel illness

itsmeagain

Oct 20, 2010
Barry I hope you have a good night of sleep tonight. And your posts are tremendous you know.
Thanks.