Tablets.

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
My wife fell from bed the other night and fractured her clavicle. It is obviously causing her pain but since the incident her behavior has changed and is far worse than before the accident. She is taking paracetamol for the pain and her usual three times a day batch of tablets which she has just started for the first time to refuse. She just purses her lips and refuses to even acknowledge that they are there for taking. I coaxed her to put open her mouth so as to place one of the tablets on her tongue and she took the opportunity to bite my thumb very hard. After almost 30 minutes I managed to persuade her to take them but am concerned and convinced that this is part of her new behavioral pattern. Any suggestions please would be appreciated.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband fell and broke his leg, his behaviour was so bad he was shouting and nasty he wouldn't stop in bed and kept falling as he forgot he had a broken leg, I had no sleep for 2 nights and had to sit by the bed to stop him getting up or falling out all the time, he had to go to a CH until his leg was better as I couldn't cope with him, but when he came home again he was about the same as he was before he broke his leg, it must have been the pain that was having the affect on him, I just wanted to reassure you that the behaviour will probably get better as her bones mend,
Could you get liquid painkillers instead for your wife do you think she would take that more easily,

Best wishes Jeany x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Ouch that sounds very painful

Can the GP prescribe pain killing patches or advise you how to 'hide' the tablets in food.

Take care

Lyn T

Orientate

Apr 20, 2011
farnborough
Soluble tablets

Hi TedW. My wife has a similar problem, indeed has always had difficult taking tablets. I managed to get soluble aspirin and any other medication in liquid form. You usually have to press the doctors for them. I usually give then to my wife in fruit juice. Good luck, hope the thumb is better:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope your wife's break mends soon. Any physical setback can wreak havoc with the dementia, I have found.

My husband has always refused to take any and all medication - with the exception of his risperidone, once they had changed it from a regular tablet to one that dissolves instantly on the tongue, and seems to be mint flavoured (at least there is a smell of mint when he takes it). He is also on trazadone twice a day and Ebixa solution - and at the moment, has six steroids to take in the morning too for his asthma. All of those have to be hidden in things. He's in the late stages now - and I have to say, this battle of getting his meds in is one of the things that has worn me out. Surprising, how stressful it is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5