Travel Advice needed please

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
We have had a few long haul flights which were a disaster. My husband starts pushing the seat in front and shouting if the seat is reclined.i spent 20hrs on red alert incase he kicked off again . My son is in Australia but we will just have to wait for him to visit. It is very sad but I think we will have to call it a day .I think short trips near home are safer, at least you can get back home if needed

Charliepappa

Jul 17, 2013
I am a carer to my husband. 2 years ago I left him behind to go to my only granddaughters wedding. Now she is graduating and he insist he wants to go with to see his son. I got our visas which he went with to hand in the application. When the visas arrived he wanted to know where we are going. We leave 7th July, I am wondering is he going to cope? Should I not change the ticket for my son to come here? I have a housekeeper who would be able to cope while I am away. I don't consider that he is so bad. He is controllable but what if?

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
[/font]
my sister is getting married in october. Mum is fixated on going, travelling accross the world (australia to uk - 20 hour flight).

I believe she is in no fit state to do the trip. She has alzheimer's and parkinsons.

I would like any stories or advice any of you wise people can offer.

Last time she flew that flight to the uk, she had full blown panic attacks, crying, screaming "get me off, get me off" etc. This was 4 years ago when she was a normal functioning working independent adult. Tubes were causing panic attacks, cars were causing panic attacks etc. Two years after that she was diagnosed with alzheimers, then a year later parkinsons.

She can't even go into a cinema without having a panic attack. She gets agitated and confused easily, she gets quite aggressive towards dad (her carer). She is only 60, and she does deserve to go to her daughters wedding, but i can't see it working. She doesn't adjust well to anything that isn't her usual environment.

I can't see it being anything but a train wreck. A very very expensive train wreck at that.

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
Long haul travel

I have just brought my husband UK to Singapore 13 hours to see a new granddaughter. Dr gave me a tablet for him so that he would sleep on the overnight flight which worked. He slept a lot for first couple of days but he's coping really well. We booked assistance so that we got through security etc quickly, also he has a pacemaker and can't walk well either. At heathrow there is a special waiting area as alz sufferers get anxious in crowds so that was good too. Door to door assistance! If this trip continues well we will go to Australia in November to see another son. My husband is into the sixth year of diagnosis now so this may well be the last opportunity we have. Wish you well and good luck. Drs advice should be sought also we had to have a letter from the GP saying that he considered my husband fit to travel. Singapore airlines insisted on this. Also full insurance too. As I say get all professional advice you can as this may help you to make your mother understand the problems too.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
I truly sympathise with you. I was devastated that I couldn't get hubby to my sister's wedding and that was only in Manchester. Trouble was he was disabled and there were at least a dozen steep steps up to the church and no other access.

Airlines and GPs aside, I wonder in fact if you would actually get insurance for her. Might be worth checking - if she can't then that could be a way out.

Hope something gets sorted and the wedding can be enjoyed somehow.

Best wishes Benjie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey