A good news day today

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
We went along for our second visit to the local drop in cafe run by the Alzheimer's Society today.

My husband was whisked off to play cards and other activities with a nice group of people (he really enjoyed himself) and I was made to feel very much at home by the various group leaders and supporters there.

I ended up chatting with a lovely lady and her daughter, who were visiting the cafe for the first time. They were understandably somewhat bewildered by the recent diagnosis of the husband/dad with Alzheimers Disease. I know I have very little experience of things myself in comparison to so many on here, but I was surprised to hear myself repeating the handy tips and ideas I have learnt on the Talking Point forum as they raised some questions - and it was lovely to see that the advice from Talking Point was able to give them some pointers.

They were interested to learn about Talking Point and felt it might be something to look into themselves.

The other positive thing that came out of today was that my husband has now been given a place in the branch's small group for people with early onset dementia. This is just what we'd been hoping for - it will do my husband a lot of good to be with people around his own age.

Don't get me wrong, my husband mixes well with folk of all ages and always has done so. However, I think it will help him a lot to be with people who have been diagnosed with dementia at an early age just like him.

The great thing is that he will be picked up by minibus and delivered home again afterwards, so he doesn't need to worry about buses or taking the wrong turning etc.

That's a huge relief to me. My husband does currently know the route but gets thrown easily if things don't go smoothly. For example our bus broke down on the way home today after the meeting and we had to collect tickets from the driver to travel on the bus following up behind us. I could tell by my husband's face that he didn't have the foggiest idea what was happening and would have been quite at a loss as to what to do if I had not been there - and would probably have ended up paying his fare twice for the same journey.

The other nice thing is that my husband will also be given lunch with the group - he is always happy when food is involved :)

It sounds like the members of the group have a great laugh and enjoy lots of different activities. The organisers seem to be a lovely bunch too.

There are places for just nine people in the group, so we feel very lucky that an opening has been found for my husband after a quite a short wait. I have to say my husband has been beaming from ear to ear since being told he has a place and we feel blessed to have this kind of group close to us :)

Kobiandmillie

Jan 4, 2014
Advice

Hi Lynn I'm going to be looking into something like this for my mum could you give me an dea on prices pls x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Lynn I'm going to be looking into something like this for my mum could you give me an dea on prices pls x

Hi there,

I'll update you as soon as I have the first invoice (which is monthly). I think it is around £2 for the lunch but I haven't been given any indication about the cost of transport. It was a complete surprise when we were told yesterday that arrangements had been made for my husband to go on the minibus. Until that point, we had assumed he'd be making his own way there and back.

All we were told yesterday was that the funding was available for my husband to go on the bus. I have no idea if that means the full cost is taken care of or if we need to pay something.

Sorry to sound so vague but I'll let you know as soon as it becomes clearer!

PS - if you were referring to the general drop-in cafe, at the one I have started attending with my husband there isn't a charge. There was a donation box on the counter where they served tea, coffee and biscuits - so it is really up to the individual re. what they contribute :)

Last edited:

gardengirl

Mar 26, 2011
Glad you found the cafe! In our area we started attending a walking group for younger people with dementia (a few years back now) - and found this to be great for mixing with others in the same situation. This led to tea dance, then on to meeting at day centre, so as the illness progressed, the friends,Carers, others in same situation expanded - so many tales, experiences shared, solved - we've been fortunate with various things set up with the help of Alzheimer's society, if you are both able, try to attend as much as you can in your area, life suddenly doesn't seem so bad!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Glad you found the cafe! In our area we started attending a walking group for younger people with dementia (a few years back now) - and found this to be great for mixing with others in the same situation. This led to tea dance, then on to meeting at day centre, so as the illness progressed, the friends,Carers, others in same situation expanded - so many tales, experiences shared, solved - we've been fortunate with various things set up with the help of Alzheimer's society, if you are both able, try to attend as much as you can in your area, life suddenly doesn't seem so bad!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I agree 100% - it's so important to get out and about as much as possible and make use of the events and facilities available to us. As well as the enjoyment factor, it is, as you say, a fantastic way to build a network of understanding friends along the way. Walking is a great idea and my husband does love to walk - though generally he does so alone. There are free guided walking groups in the area - open to everyone and he has expressed an interest in these too.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

Hi there,

I'll update you as soon as I have the first invoice (which is monthly). I think it is around £2 for the lunch but I haven't been given any indication about the cost of transport. It was a complete surprise when we were told yesterday that arrangements had been made for my husband to go on the minibus. Until that point, we had assumed he'd be making his own way there and back.

All we were told yesterday was that the funding was available for my husband to go on the bus. I have no idea if that means the full cost is taken care of or if we need to pay something.

Sorry to sound so vague but I'll let you know as soon as it becomes clearer!

PS - if you were referring to the general drop-in cafe, at the one I have started attending with my husband there isn't a charge. There was a donation box on the counter where they served tea, coffee and biscuits - so it is really up to the individual re. what they contribute :)

I received the first invoice today. The meal works out at £3.50 and the transport is also £3.50 per session - very reasonable, especially considering the enjoyment it brings.

Next month's bill will be less because, unfortunately, they have lost their driver and there is no telling how long it will be before they get another. Luckily my husband gets free travel on the bus - but it would certainly be worth the £3.50 to remove the hassle he faces getting to the centre and back.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B