He grunts all the time

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
MOH has taken to constant grunting, we have checked with our GP, and there is no medical cause. When I ask why he does it, he just says that's how he is, whatever that means.

Sometimes I could scream at him to stop, but I understand that he thinks he can't. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there an answer ?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When we are swimming John makes ridiculous grunts even though he is not noticeably tired. I put it down to him having poor hearing and awareness. I just tell him to stop which works for a while.

Sounds crazy though!

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
I feel for you, it would really annoy me too. Mum had a couple of phases (2-3 days at a time) of this. Fortunately when it started she was in CH. It was more of squeak in her case. There was no rhyme or reason. It started spontaneously and stopped the same.
I hope for your sake this is just another of the phases our loved ones go through.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has been grinding her teeth for months now and it drives me mad. She is in the later stages of Alzheimer's and has no idea what she's doing. I don't think she understands what I say either. The only time she's not doing it is when she's eating or sleeping.

I live in fear of her breaking a tooth.

jellyfish

Apr 30, 2014
West Midlands
Hi, my husband became noisy with repetitive sounds which used to wear me down. His consultant told me it was disruptive vocalisation and can happen with this illness. I wear headphones when it gets too much or sit in another room for a short time which helps. It's incredibly wearing on the nerves though and I'm sorry you are having similar problems. Hopefully it's a phase that will pass for you. Kindest wishes x

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband grunts whenever he is moving, so all through washing and dressing, going up and down stairs, just moving from room to room, eating. He is in pain with his back he had a compression fracture in his spine a while back that causes him a lot of discomfort and I put it down to that. I think he knows he's doing it but seems unable to stop. It drives me up the wall!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's the same it drives the kids mad when they come to stay but I've just learned to filter it out like the clock ticking too loudly and next doors TV.
K

yecats

Dec 19, 2011
Tring
Hi Bree

My husbands main recreation indoors is watching the T.V. All the time he is watching he makes little giggling noises or comment about the programme but it never makes sense. He does this even when the family are there, it gets very wearing. Another noise he makes when anyone is here is meowing (we have not got a cat). He does it when the nurse comes each week to do his obs. He has C.O.P.D. as well as Alzheimer's he starts meowing as she checks his chest. The nurse is used to it but other people say 'have you got a cat'.

yecats

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks all for your replies, not much I can do about it but it's good to know I'm not alone.

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
Bree, I'm really glad that you started this thread. My Mum does the same quite a lot of the time and it drives my OH to distraction, especially when he is at the computer and wants peace & quiet. I can sometimes block it out, or I put the radio or tv on but it is rather wearing as others have said. If she is asked to try and stop it, it sometimes works for a short while, but then starts up again. Hope it helps knowing that you are not alone. :)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH grunts a lot while he is eating. He has also taken to whistling tunelessly when he is sitting on the sofa (probably bored) and the worst is the very loud banging on the table he does frequently. It doesn't seem to bother them at the Day Centre but it bothers me very much when for example I stand at the hot food counter in ASDA ordering food for both of us and he has already sat down and starts banging on the table. It's incredibly loud and disruptive. I know it's not his fault but by God it's annoying! You can't even tell him to stop because he won't remember after a minute and start up again! He also often reads things aloud, whether it's a poster on the tube, something on TV or a subtitle in the cinema. He used to behave impeccably in the cinema but now I sometimes have to quietly hold a hand in front of his mouth to stop him reading the subtitles aloud! Oh yes, and he sneezes frequently and very violently then exclaims very loudly: "F**king hell, what caused that?" I mean what do you say to that?

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Now he's counting all the time, doesn't matter where we are, he counts, I find it's not so annoying as the grunting however. What we have to put up with, lets hope we have a breakthrough soon.:(

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
For nearly 50 years my husband has said the same thing, if someone says "what"? He replies "say what to me - next thing you'll be saying is balls to the colonel". I believe this was an army saying.

Over the years, this changed to "next thing you'll be saying is calls to the bollychops" which he always thought was hilarious. Since Alzheimer's reared its ugly head, he can't remember what to say, so mumbles "say something about something about something" and then gives a chuckle.

If I don't laugh, he repeats it until I do. Like others, I have found ways to block this out, otherwise I'd go mad. But I sympathise so much with those who are driven round the bend and up the pole, by these repetitive sayings. God, it's a hard old road!

Sringtime

Jan 9, 2014
Cheshire
Hi Bree, I know only to well the feeling of repetative noises, my OH constantly clacks and smacks his lips, it really does get on my nerves. I have videoed him on my phone, and shown this to the GP and Doctor at the memory clinic and although quite surprised, they have no idea what it can be. I am feeling so desperate, he is doing it now and I am absolutley fed up with having to walk in to the other room. I know its not his fault, but it doesnt make it any easier to put up with. You have my sympathy and hugs to you. xx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi Bree, I know only to well the feeling of repetative noises, my OH constantly clacks and smacks his lips, it really does get on my nerves. I have videoed him on my phone, and shown this to the GP and Doctor at the memory clinic and although quite surprised, they have no idea what it can be. I am feeling so desperate, he is doing it now and I am absolutley fed up with having to walk in to the other room. I know its not his fault, but it doesnt make it any easier to put up with. You have my sympathy and hugs to you. xx

Knowing that it's not their fault, that it's the disease, doesn't help me one iota. You brought a smile to my face, regarding your OH's lip smacking. My Mum used to consider tinned peaches, with tinned cream, the height of luxury.

She used an old tin opener, and always managed to gets bits of paper into the cream. She would top this repast with a glace cherry, and then slurp and smack her lips, and I wanted to scream.

It's nearly 20 years since she died, and I'd give anything to share a bowl with her. :(

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Sringtime, thank you for your comments, thank goodness we can vent our feelings on this wonderful site.

HenryLee

Dec 6, 2016
My dad cannot help it

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this. My 82 year old dad started making these grunting noises when he sits down. It is not constant, but he seems to make it often enough to cause concern to those around him, especially in church. No point telling him as it seems he is not aware of it and also he is hard of hearing. We are used to it now after a year.

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
Hi All
Its great that this thread has started because out of all the terrible things that occur because of AZ I struggle mostly with the silliest things like the constant whistling, tapping anything in front of him, very loud sighing, slurping and very loud chewing, and the extremely loud criticisms of anyone who ( in his mind) isnt dressed right, or maybe on the large side, or too much makeup etc etc etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get so angry sometimes with all of the above I could literally scream, and yet none of it is life threatening !!! to me or him, so why does it drive me CRAZY lol.

like all of us I have so many things/problems/difficulties to deal with daily but get on with them ( altho usually end up venting my anger at some random caller who has called to enquire ' about my recent car accident' )

Aww well thank goodness for TP
Keep well all
Suz xx

senojyddet

Jul 13, 2016
senojyddet

MOH has taken to constant grunting, we have checked with our GP, and there is no medical cause. When I ask why he does it, he just says that's how he is, whatever that means.

Sometimes I could scream at him to stop, but I understand that he thinks he can't. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there an answer ?

My wife Jean used to do this. I have since learnt that this happened when she was stressed or out of control of a situation. I used it as a signal that I had got something wrong. Oddly, by ignoring it, it rarely happens now.