Advice on package of care and equipment needed

jilljay

May 22, 2005
Birmingham
My husband is in an enabling centre at the moment.He has vascular dementia and fell down a flight of stairs a fortnight ago.Broken a toe and a small bone at the bottom of his back and covered in bruises. The accident seems to have accelerated his dementia.I also have a daughter with learning disabilities who also has early age dementia.He is very confused and thinks our son is his brother on occasions. I had a stroke after a big heart op two years ago,so problems all around.I want them to put in a good package of care so that he can come home and we all can stay together.If they did that then they would save a large amount of money,but the first thing that was said was we cant have a stairlift for him.Would be very dangerous without one. I think that is just the tip of the iceberg re charges!!So it seems to be 'use all our savings' which are relatively small in this day and age. I have been a 24/7 carer for nearly 47 years so must have saved this country a large amount of money. It seems so unfair to take the little we have off us.They have also suggested we sell up and move to a maisonette or flat! I am very pessimistic about the outcome.
Anyone else had multiple problems and can offer advice?
Jeanette. :confused:

jilljay

May 22, 2005
Birmingham
thanks Peggy

Thanks for your concern Peggy.My husband seems to be mentally deteriorating daily and am so worried.I do want him home, but must have a very good package of care for him too.He was always the dominant person in this relationship and did the finances and practical things like the boiler etc and now I have to do it and havnt a clue. Fancy having to learn all that well as being an OAP/carer of two and disabled myself!!!!! The transport is a big problem too as I need another pair of hands to take them both out!! Will update you on what happens but at this time other than the fact they refuse to pay for a stairlift ...Nothing. Am supposed to be seeing someone on Thursday. It is good and helps me a lot to be able to 'talk' to someone who understands the situation (sort of). the loneliness is terrible.

Jeanette