Falling and leaning to one side

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
Another fall while he was getting undressed, can't undress without falling over but gets furious if I try to help him. Then he walks or I should say shuffles with his body leaning to one side. Has anyone else come across this ?
He gets up at least 3 times a night so I have to get up and see him back to bed safely, does it never end. Who is he ? Not the man I have been married to for over 64 years.
Ignore me I am just having a rant to try to calm down before going to bed. Night All.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
It sounds as though he may have had a small TIA (Mini stroke) it cannot be reveresed, sorry for what you are going through.
John.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
Then he walks or I should say shuffles with his body leaning to one side. Has anyone else come across this ?
Has he been diagnosed with Parkinson's as this is a symptom of Parkinson's. Normally, as in my mum's case Parkinson's first then gone on to develop Parkinson's dementia. The leaning to one side & shuffling is classic symptom.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
If you go to youtube and type in Gait you will get a number of videos that come up by a doctor explaining why people are walking in a certain way. What you are describing if I remember sounds like Ataxic Gait?

If it is this it could be due to the dementia progressing, but there are people on here who have found out that it has been caused by medication. It might be worth checking online if he is on medication to see what the side effects may be and then speak to his consultant or GP about what is happening.

Fiona

OK, I went and looked for the video - this is what I was thinking of - but the Dr has other videos that might be more appropriate if this is not what is happening. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpiEprzObIU

Last edited:

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Raffles, hi
In my experience constipation is the first thing that comes to mind if someone is leaning over, either when walking or sitting, it can also cause restlessness and anger. Once a good movement happens then better movement happens!

I hope you get to the bottom of this and things improve for you.
With best wishes from Jo

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
Raffles, hi
In my experience constipation is the first thing that comes to mind if someone is leaning over, either when walking or sitting, it can also cause restlessness and anger. Once a good movement happens then better movement happens!

I hope you get to the bottom of this and things improve for you.
With best wishes from Jo

Many thanks for all your suggestions I will certainly look into them.