Hygene in carehome environment

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Hi guys

I do realise with dementia the ability to dress declines as does showering. My mum wne tinto a carehome post a fall and has been there just over 6 months.

I go into visit her and she is smelly (urine) and is wearing dirty clothes even when they know we are coming. I'm deeply worried but when I mentioned it the carestaff didn't take it very seriously, they said they give her her independence.

Thing is shes constantly getting UTIs and is looking more tramp than mum, I am not happy about this lowering of her hygene standards but trust you guys will tell me straight.

Am I expecting too much or is this lack of care as I feel it is?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi guys

I do realise with dementia the ability to dress declines as does showering. My mum wne tinto a carehome post

Thing is shes constantly getting UTIs and is looking more tramp than mum, I am not happy about this lowering of her hygene standards but trust you guys will tell me straight.

you are right to be worried, I would be too
To me this IS neglect.

Like Izzy's Mum , my Mum could be challenging esp when personal care was being given, much screeching , yelling and a slap or two :)
it was because Mum was frightened and thought it was rude.

I would have a serious talk with the manager and have it written into the care plan about being kept clean.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
showering.
Mom use a shower wheel chair, and staff help her ( independence with staff helping)

smelly (urine)
I wouldnt allow my mom on a CH wich ONE smelly resident. It "helps" UTI and worsen pressure wounds

wearing dirty clothes
It depends, if mom has chocolate dirty does it mean she ate chocolate. If mom has soup and chocolate dirty it mean staff not working

carestaff didn't take it very seriously
Manager, sw,

constantly getting UTIs
looking more tramp

I dont like this too, I would talk to manager, or sw, then look for another CH were dementia residents seem clean. Be aware that some staff can bully eldery to clean/change clothes.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Thank you, the home made me feel very awkward when I brought it up, it's not ropped chocolate or tea, well it is, but its the fact the clothes smell, it's not fresh droppage. I took her out the other day and I changed her before we went out she was too dirty to take out.

I was made to feel I was expecting too much, I iwll talk ot the manager tomorros shes not in till monday thanks guys....... I didn't feel I was expecting too much, but then you need to check sometimes as this process is complex and I didnt want to barge in to be told this is what we expect to happen :(

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
You are not expecting too much. Seems you expect care. For me dirty mean mistreat/ negligency. There are boundaries on independence, let people dirty is far away from this.

Editing: clothes with smell can mean something wrong on cleaning process (clothes not dry before stored smell fungus).

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
This is a difficult one. No one in a care home can be forced to do anything. Forcing is abuse. So if the staff have someone who will not let them near them for either clothes changing or personal care then there is little they can do.

Having said that there is something they can try and that is persuasion, gentle coaxing and calm talking. Unfortunately lots of homes fall down because their staff are not trained and many are understaffed. It is very easy for them to accept a NO and then move onto their next resident.

I hope you can get someone to listen and act because it is not acceptable.

Jay

Last edited:

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I would be moving my mum to a different home. Have you looked for reviews on the home your mum's in now ? It might be that this is a second rate place, certainly sounds like it. I don't think that complaining will do much good, if that's their level of care, you won't change it.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I had the same situation with my father’s NH. Dad started to look very unkempt and smelly. I arrived one morning to visit and dad’s shirt had dried stains all down the front and his long nails had fecal matter under them. I was horrified and spoke to the manager. I realised that day, they were putting him to bed in his clothes and were struggling to manage his personal care due to his aggression. They failed to admit this, instead, making excuses. Over a period of several weeks I spoke to the manager and the nurses and stated that if they were unable to manage his personal care, due to his aggression, I would have to find somewhere that could. I reported to SS, who arranged a meeting with a SW, the manager, duty nurse and me. The nurse admitted they were struggling, but said he would usually cooperate with her. I had noticed that Dad’s cleanliness was much improved when she was on duty, but slipped completely when she wasn’t on shift. The upshot of the meeting was that Dad’s care improved greatly and has remained so.
I felt I should have been listened to the first time though and not have to go to the lengths I did.

Herbaltea

Jul 23, 2012
Hi guys

I do realise with dementia the ability to dress declines as does showering. My mum wne tinto a carehome post a fall and has been there just over 6 months.

I go into visit her and she is smelly (urine) and is wearing dirty clothes even when they know we are coming. I'm deeply worried but when I mentioned it the carestaff didn't take it very seriously, they said they give her her independence.

I would be taking this further. Even if your Mother does't want to change, the staff should be trained to pursuade and ensure all residents are clean and tidy, wear matching clothes, smell nice etc. I spoke to the manager of my Mothers home as I was unhappy and she was certainly unhappy too and I was told what I wanted to hear but nothing changed, therefore I had to take action. I have recently moved my Mother, it was not easy, but it is certainly the best thing I have done, she is happy, eating and well cared for. However,if I come across any problems again which remain unanswered or unsolved, I wouldn't hesitate to move her again. I really feel for you and your Mother to be in this position, I wish you well and hope you get the right answers and your Mother sorted out. It is such a worry but we are their spokes person.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
THANKS GUYS

You are only saying what I feel xx

I feel strongly before she was ill my mum took great care, I know she is difficult BUT thats why she is in an EMI nursing home for professional help.

I'm going to expect her levels of cleanliness to improve - I feel it's a basic human right and that they should know how to deal with it. It's really upsetting, the don't seem to notice :(

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I too replied to your previous post regarding not being able to have sight of the care plans. If mum's appearance is worrying you and the staff are brushing your worries off with the 'independence' ticket, I too would want to take this further.

Get in touch with the Care Quality Commission. They have a good website where you can get in touch with them. They are the 'police force' and have to ensure that basic standards are being met. They may not respond immediately to you but they will keep your complaint and possibly make an unexpected visit to the home, especially if they are getting adverse comments from others. The CQC will always keep complaints anonymous when undertaking investigations.

It is immensely difficult to find anyone who will actually complain. There are a variety of reasons for this Some relatives are too old and ill themselves to complain, some relatives are afraid to 'rock the boat' and feel that they/their relative will be discriminated against, and some relatives are just so relieved that others have taken the burden of care away that they are reluctant to assume responsibility. Other relatives have over the years developed a friendship with some of the staff and feel they would be disloyal to staff. Some relatives are possibly brainwashed by staff to feel that it is the fault of their relative who is being cared for and not the fault of the staff.

The bottom line is that if a relative has complained about hygiene matters and been ignored, then it is time to take the matter further. People in care only have us to do this for them. They are the vulnerable and voiceless.

I have seen staff kicked and abused when dealing with cleanliness issues so I do realise it isn't always an easy task but they are supposed to be trained and they get paid for doing this job. I know the pay is not good and the hours are long but this is the job they undertake to do. If they haven't got the qualities to manage to keep a resident clean then they are not suited to the job.

xxTinaT

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Some relatives are possibly brainwashed by staff to feel that it is the fault of their relative who is being cared for and not the fault of the staff.

xxTinaT

This is exactly how I felt yesterday when Mum had a fall and cut her head open within 12 hours of being in respite - the words 'she's started mis-behaving already' were used...!

P x

Mouse2014

Mar 9, 2014
This is exactly how I felt yesterday when Mum had a fall and cut her head open within 12 hours of being in respite - the words 'she's started mis-behaving already' were used...!

P x

Thats simply appalling.. How dare they?.. i would be raging:mad:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Auntiep,

Go back and ask what exactly happened, who saw it and can you see a written report of the fall, and what did the staff do about the fall. It is mandatory that all care homes keep a written/electronic record of all falls. Ask the staff what is being done to prevent further falls of this nature.

I know from bitter experience about falls. My husband was a 'walker' and spend hours and hours walking along corridors. Even when his back gave way which meant he was in great pain and walked with a sideways movement like a crab, he kept on walking. I accepted that he needed to and had a compulsion to walk but feel that the staff could have done more. When visiting other care homes I noticed that some patients had been given head protectors and hip protectors. It was a very long time before staff felt it necessary to get the local authority falls staff in to assess him for these protective measures.

I should have complained but to be honest I had no idea that there were measures which could have been taken and the staff never told me about them. I also feel that there should have been better supervision but for some silly reason never took this up with the staff either.

I only wish I had known as much about good care home management then as I do today. I would have complained loud and long about many things, including the unkempt appearance such as teeth not cleaned, long filthy fingernails, disgustingly smelly hair, dirty stained clothing etc.,

xxTinaT

Last edited: