Near the end

Boney

Dec 9, 2012
Mum has been eating very little since Christmas Eve, just a few spoonfuls here and there and nothing we've tried could tempt her. She slept most of the day and I feared she wouldn't see New Year but this amazing lady celebrated her 92nd birthday on Monday with most of the family with her. Tuesday she sat up in bed and ate a whole bowl of soup and asked for her handbag! Thursday morning the nursing home called and said she had become weak, her breathing shallow. Doctor was called and the family all went to be with her. We are now three days with no food at all and just a sip or two of water at the beginning. She has opened her eyes and spoken, knows we are there and holds our hands. I just pray that she doesn't have to lie here like this much longer. My 93 yr old dad is coping amazingly well but to see his beloved wife of 68 years fading before him is heartbreaking. She has fought bowel cancer and breast cancer but we knew this awful disease was one she wouldn't beat. Sorry this is so long, I can hardly see for tears, but feel better for sharing my lovely mum with you. Over the months this forum has helped so much in preparing us and now I hope this will soon end.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wishing you and your dad much strength in this difficult time. Wishing your mum peace.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Such a sad time for all of you I wish your mum to be peaceful and pain free.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm sorry this is such a sad time for you; but like others have said it's good your Mum knows that you are with her. Wishing you and your family strength and peace.

Take care

Lyn T

tom0591

Dec 18, 2013
I am very sorry, but it is some consolation that it seems that your Mum will drift away painlessly and with her family beside her. It is as nice a way to depart as anyone could wish and she has had a full life of 92 years.

Botanic

Mar 3, 2014
London, SW
All the best. There are so many of us in this position. Its good to have a resource such as this to get some comfort from. Keep strong.

Lizjg

Dec 29, 2011
Near Newark / Grantam
My Mum seems to be at about the same stage as yours, she is hardly eating or drinking and spends most of her time sleeping. She hasn't got out of bed for the last three days. On Saturday the carehome very nearly phoned my Dad to go over as they thought Mum had slipped into a coma as they couldn't wake her, but she started to respond before they rang. It's a hard time as you don't know how long she has left. I am going to see her tomorrow and I am worried that this may be the last time I get to see ber.

bluebell1

Jan 27, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thinking of you and your family, everyone on here has already or will have to through this too, it's really so very sad and utterly heartbreaking. You will find the strength to get through this and remember you are not on your own. This forum made me see that what I am feeling is 'normal' my wee Dad has been in hospital for over 3 months with this terrible illness. Take care x

Boney

Dec 9, 2012
Thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It has been an emotional roller coaster this last week. I have no idea now what is happening with mum as yesterday whilst I was with her she accepted and drunk a beaker of soup! Even held the beaker herself. Poor dad, we had prepared him for the worst and although I know she us very weak and still sleeping most of the day, where has she found that strength. The tears we have cried this weekend. Feeling very drained and mixed up.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I don't know what to say but am thinking of you, what a rollercoaster indeed, I can hardly imagine how you must be feeling or how you are coping.

Big hugs x

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
Boney,

We can empathise with you. My 90yr old MIL has only been eating about two teaspoons of food a day for the last month & the same with drink for the last 10 days. She has been in bed for the last 4 days & sleeps most of the time. There is no recognition now when we visit - she doesn't look at anyone or speak. She has even stopped mouthing the words to the music we play her. Yet she is still clinging onto life & the nursing home staff say it's because she was a strong, healthy person until now. Each day seems to be closer to her leaving us & she is a shell of herself - it's like we are in limbo & it's made harder because last week my 78 yr old mum was unexpectedly diagnosed with terminal cancer & she just thought she had a bad back. She is currently in hospital having collapsed last night at home so it's hard to see 2 fit, healthy women struck down in front of our eyes.

I wish you strength & support Boney & hope your mum & your family experience as peaceful a passing as there can be.

Angie