Best Interest Meeting

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
We have a Best Interest meeting tomorrow for MIL. just thought it was a review. What can we expect ?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Sorry I've just realised the meeting is probably over. If possible try to post and let us know how things went

Take care

Lyn T

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
The meeting went ok thanks. It was attended by all the people who care for or provide care for MIL. The meeting was really to discuss concerns over MIL staying in her own home as she has had quite a few falls over the last 3 months. Everyone attending discussed their reasons or concerns why MIL should be at home or if it was in her best interest to go into CH. It was attended by CPN, District Nurse (who monitors her B/S & administers her insulin ) Representative from the care team, Care Co-ordination, OH & myself. It was chaired by Senior Practitioner in Adult Care.
Everyone got to put their views forward as to why she should/should not continue to live in her own home with the care package she currently has.
Everything taken into account & in view she only has limited capacity, she was able to stress that she wanted to stay in her home when a capacity assessment was carried out a few weeks ago, the chair at the meeting decided at this point in time it is in her best interest to stay in her own home. It will be reviewed periodically.
TBH it wasn't as bad as we thought but will imagine that as her condition deteriorates it will get harder to maintain her safety & therefore harder to put a good case forward to keep her at home.

lil50

Nov 5, 2013
West Sussex
We had one of these meetings for my Mum last October.
The doctor who had recently given her the 6 monthly memory test said she should be receiving 24 hr care. She lives alone with 4 carers visits a day and family support.
She was then given a capacity test by her sw that revealed she no longer had capacity. Mum is often very confused about what she wants to do unless there is someone in authority there and then she definitely does not want to go into a home. At this point the sw looked at me and shrugged as if to say well what can we do. 4 visits a day was the max they would provide.
I really could not see how ss could ignore the advice of the medical professional and after a slightly heated discussion she told me we would have a best interests meeting.
This went pretty much as previously described. We went round everyone there saying how the current situation was and then what outcome we would like to see.
I was so cross with myself when I cried, I wanted to stay in control. I don't want to force my Mum into care against her wishes but she needs more help than she is getting now.
When the final decision was made that Mum needed to go into care I felt a surge of relief. I asked what would happen now and sw said lawyers would look into taking it to cop. We have poa for finance but not for welfare as our solicitor had told us with all family in agreement this was not necessary. Not sure this was correct information now.
Anyway here we are 3 months on and nothing has happened. Except Mum is deteriorating and we are all getting more frazzled trying to support her. Oh and that sw has left, 12 month locum position not renewed. Previous sw not returning calls.
The situation is not yet critical but I had hoped something would be done before it reached that stage. I have been told by a friend to make a nuisance of myself and phone every week and that's what I am going to do now.
Hope you have a better outcome

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
TBH I sided with OH, not because I totally agree with her staying at home, but I know he has fought so hard to keep her there. He has always said, as he did with his dad, that while ever we could manage, we would keep her in her home. She has 4 calls a day & we know that if things deteriorate then there is nowhere else to go. We are frazzled a lot if the time, trying to cope & it would have been so easy to say that we felt she was not safe, but while ever she knows what she wants then we will do what we can.:)