Constant sleeping?

ashatkinson

Jan 12, 2014
Hello,

My grandma has been in a care home for about 4 years since we were unable to care for her ourselves. She has lost all mobility and is wheelchair bound. She has also lost most of her speech but will sometimes repeat what is said to her and she will scream from time to time. It is rare that she is away as she seems to 'sleep' constantly. Although it can't be real sleep as she manages to eat in this state? She is unresponsive and had her eyes closed all the time and we have to try really hard to wake her up - when she does way up it is for a matter of seconds.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this as she seems to be the only one like this in the care home.

Thanks.

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hi,
My hubby is the same. We go out every day and he sits with his eyes shut all the time, when we get back he says he's enjoyed the ride out??!!!!!!!
If I leave him to eat or drink himself he falls asleep with the food/drink in his hand.
He 'watches' TV with his eyes shut, not that he really understands it anymore.
It seems to be normal behaviour in the latter stages.
Take care.

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Hi there
My dad is the same and has been for a number of years. He has his eyes closed 99% of the time and I would say he sleeps about 50% of the day if not more. I can tell whether he's sleeping or awake from his body language, breathing, even though his eyes are closed all the time.

If he does open them, he closes them quickly if anyone speaks to him. He's in the last stages of his illness and is confined to bed, uncommunicative and quite frail, so I suppose he's very tired and can't be bothered.

I think it's just all part of the illness but I think it's difficult for relatives/friends etc as it's hard no know how to connect with someone who is so unresponsive

xx

wimbledon7

May 27, 2007
england
My wife is aged only 58 and was diagnosed with Lewy body Alzheimer's when she was 51. She also sleeps a lot with her mouth open and difficult to wake up for food and medicine. She can now no longer walk and she rarely moves her arms.