Christmas...

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I feel like a monster... Would I be this horrible if I did not have a hip so painful that it needs replacing...

Probably, I don't know you :D

Seriously. Books and info about dementia can are helpful for the carer to get ideas.

The trouble with books is that the person with dementia (just like books on babies) the person being cared for hasn't read the book, and is most definitely an individual and not a something that "one size fits all"

Sounds to me like you could do with some respite. Do have any breaks like day club for him or some one who comes in?

Chins up. xxxxx

drmclarke

Feb 25, 2013
York UK
cheated out of our last family Christmas :-(

Well having planned "Christmas" for mum at home I turned up on Saturday lunchtime to put up decorations, prepare turkey for roasting on Sunday ("Christmas") etc to find mum had been stuck in a kitchen chair for 2 days (home carers clearly not concerned that she was sitting in a visible puddle of urine in the cold and dark for two evenings). She was shivering and very distressed and embarrassed, with a fever and frighteningly swollen legs. So instead of a perfect day for what we already knew would be her last Christmas at home, I have spent the weekend trying to settle her in hospital, where she will stay until at least new year. I feel so terribly betrayed by this blooming disease, again. :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how awful. Your poor mum. It's awful that the carers didn't alert someone that something was wrong. That's really bad.

I hope she is settled and feels safe in hospital and responds to treatment.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi Tensing

I think we have all felt as you do. This probably won't help you but our local council are now running workshops for carers (not just dementia) relating to cognitive behavioural therapy which are aimed at giving us suggestions on how to cope with stress and a couple of other subjects. They last for about 2 hours and are free in this area. They are run by a company called Positive Steps and one to one counselling is also available, also free, if you prefer it. Don't know how successful they are but am booked on one in Jan so will see how it goes.

Seasons greetings.
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
These workshops are all very well, IF you have someone to stay with your charge whilst you're away.

We have been promised these helpers, but none materialise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5