Denial and refusing help...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband, a few months older than me, has Alzheimer's and has always been fiercely "in charge". He's determined that we don't need any help, thank you very much. All very well, but I'm wilting.
He constantly insists that I ask him to do things, and so I do, but three years after his diagnosis there are now very few household tasks he can manage to do without my close attendance. He gets frustrated and blames me for not explaining things properly. These days the only thing I can be sure of is that he won't be able to do whatever it is that I ask...no matter how simple. But he follows me everywhere, and frequently takes over things I'm doing, and then can't do them, or simply forgets what he's doing and wanders off.
He never refuses to do anything I ask, but it's never the right time to do them...he'll always "do it later". So when he finally got round to cutting the grass this year it was late April, there were great clumps from the previous year's neglect, and the mower burned out. I arranged for a man to cut it for us, using the excuse that our mower was being repaired. But as soon as the mower came back, my husband sent the man packing, and wouldn't hear of any more help. He cut it a few times but after that there was always a reason to put it off. The last time was in July. Once or twice I've mentioned getting some help in the garden, and even told him we could get it free( not strictly true!) but he insists HE can do it.
That's just the garden;window cleaning, home repairs and maintenance, it's the same story. Our home is beginning to look a shambles, our family is concerned, but my husband is stubborn beyond belief, and gets into a rage with me if anyone suggests help.
Has anyone else had to deal with this type of problem? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
My thoughts are with you. I had similar problems with two relatives and after diagnosis had to make decisions in their best interests, either to stay at home with carers or into residential / nursing home. I discussed matters with various professionals and a best interests decisions was to place them both into a home. This was a very hard matter to try and come to terms with but their health and welfare and safety must come first. Matters for me were so draining that if I did not take this course of actions it would of effected my health even more as time went on. My best wishes Steve.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I never thought that I was lucky that my husband was always lazy and was happy for me or anyone else to do things but I think now it might be a blessing in disguise,
I am so sorry to hear the problems with your husband, I can't think of anything to help apart from if he would go to a day centre or someone take him out and you could get get someone to do these things while he is out, it must be so difficult for him when he thinks he can do them and he can't manage, Would he let a relation help him or pretend that they needed showing how to do something, then they do most of it and praise him for his good work,
I think you are going to have to be very firm with him and hope that he gets used to someone else doing it ,
Sorry I can't be much help but it must be awful for you,

Best wishes Jeany xx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Have you considered asking for some respite? That way you could book someone to do the maintenance tasks whilst he is away. The only other thing is some day care but that is less predictable in case he refuses to go on the day. If relatives are concerned, could they maybe have him for the day?

Fiona

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My thoughts are with you. I had similar problems with two relatives and after diagnosis had to make decisions in their best interests, either to stay at home with carers or into residential / nursing home. I discussed matters with various professionals and a best interests decisions was to place them both into a home. This was a very hard matter to try and come to terms with but their health and welfare and safety must come first. Matters for me were so draining that if I did not take this course of actions it would of effected my health even more as time went on. My best wishes Steve.

Thank you Stevew for your helpful thoughts. Partly because we live together I really want to try and avoid the Care Home option as long as possible...if only I could work out a way to get my husband to accept care at home I think that would be best for him....i see there are other threads about similar problems...and it looks as though " they" could try harder to persuade people to accept help at home...after all, it's not as though either option is free to the patient.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
A cunning plan...

Thankyou Fifi and Jeany for responding.... The other side of my problem is my husband would never accept that we would both benefit from him spending any time away from me...family have tried, tactfully, to suggest him doing things with them, but he always says no unless it includes me. I do have a cunning plan for next summer which I hope will work, that depends on us going out somewhere and getting the grass cut in our absence. Currently if that happened I'm pretty sure he would hit the roof when we return, so I'm trying to think of a plausible explanation...I've already tried the "it's free" idea, but he says he enjoys cutting his own grass!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to read about your problem. I'm afraid I can't think of any useful advice. Our situation was different. Bill's Alzheimer's has progressed slowly over the last 12 years and we have been able to gradually introduce new things. He didn't object to help or care.

I think the suggestion of a Day Centre is a good one. Bill goes to one which isn't in a Care Home. It's in the Alzheimer's Scotland Day Centre. I call it his club and he goes off to this club quite happily every Thursday. Of course I don't know what's available in your area.

Have you had a carer's assessment? I know it's part of a Community Assessment and your husband might not want to take part in it as his needs would be assessed as well. I answered all of the questions on behalf of Bill but then he didn't object to this.

Community Care Assessment

Sorry - just read your reply to Jeany and Fifmo. We cross posted!

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thankyou Fifi and Jeany for responding.... The other side of my problem is my husband would never accept that we would both benefit from him spending any time away from me!

My husband was the same until I was rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack through stress and he had no choice, please do not let it get too bad,

Best wishes Jeany xx

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
I'm afraid your "name" Raggedy Anne is how you must feel all the time=shredded by this horrible disease that has shredded yourself, your husband, family and home. I feel so much for you. I experience lesser (now) but similar circumstances.
This site is so great, so encouraging and helpful, I have never found one anywhere this good, in the US. So glad you are here and we can share your shreddedness, to some extent, with you. May your days ahead be healing to you and yours with wisdom and courage to do what must be done. This is what we all need. Jaffy

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Yes Jaffy, my " name" does describe the way I feel...including the first four lettersR.A.G.E. The incorrect spelling wasn't a mistake! I so agree about this forum..it's like walking into a room full of friends!

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Would your husband accept a family working party to help with a large job (ie whatever is most desperate).

If it was just for one day, perhaps they could overwhelm his objections, and get him to accept a paid person to do stuff, as they cannot come every week?

Just an idea , you understand ...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Would your husband accept a family working party to help with a large job (ie whatever is most desperate).

If it was just for one day, perhaps they could overwhelm his objections, and get him to accept a paid person to do stuff, as they cannot come every week?

Just an idea , you understand ...

What a good idea! Will try that in the spring, for the garden. We can make a party out of it! Thank you!

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
denial and refusing help

My husband is like yours. He insists that he can do everything and then gets in a muddle which makes him very cross with frustration. I think of him as a terrible two year old and try to always have something to distract him. My standards have dropped in all areas. I stand, relax and feel my feet and let the irritation flow out into the ground. I hope he will go to respite soon or a 'club' but he gets too rough and angry at the moment. I have put bolts on the spare bedroom door so that I have a safe room.
I hope you find a solution to your problem the various organisations dont seem to be much help. Many hugs and good luck.