Horrible catheter

Jillysmile

May 17, 2013
Helston, Cornwall
Hi, just need to rant! And I know I can here. My poor 90 year old dad couldn't wee yesterday, he has bladder cancer as well as dementia, so doctor came eventually late evening and fitted a cathater. It was horrid I had to virtually pin dad down it was so painfull. Now I can't sleep as I'm worried he'll forget it's attached and try to get up - I'm so tired but just can't sleep. Im sooo tired!!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hi, just need to rant! And I know I can here. My poor 90 year old dad couldn't wee yesterday, he has bladder cancer as well as dementia, so doctor came eventually late evening and fitted a cathater. It was horrid I had to virtually pin dad down it was so painfull. Now I can't sleep as I'm worried he'll forget it's attached and try to get up - I'm so tired but just can't sleep. Im sooo tired!!

Hi Jillysmile, sorry to hear about your father. It must be very distressing for you both. Also somewhat confusing for him. I hope you both get some sleep and I hope I have not woken either of you up

Jillysmile

May 17, 2013
Helston, Cornwall
Hi Jillysmile, sorry to hear about your father. It must be very distressing for you both. Also somewhat confusing for him. I hope you both get some sleep and I hope I have not woken either of you up

Thank you very much - no you didn't wake me - I managed a couple of hours sleep x x

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Hope you both got a decent night's rest Jillysmile, and that your dad is a lot more comfortable this morning.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Hopefuly in future catheterisation would be done by an experienced nurse, such as an Incontinence Nurse. Practise makes perfect, this is something that doctors don't do very often. It's the same with injections - years ago I had four years worth of desentitising injections for allergies. One a week for three months!

The doctor was hopeless at it and th ejabs were always painful (and he broke the syringe twice and dropped the bottle of stuff once as well). With the nurse I hardly noticed them.

Unfortunately catheters are more difficult and painful for men, for obvious reasons.

Catheters inserted temporarily to relieve a short-term problem are known as intermitten catheters. Sometimes pateitns are taught how to do this for themselves.

Long-term catheters, which can stay in place for weeks or even months, are called indwelling catheters. They are held in place by a balloon filled with water which stays inside the bladder. However, they have a higher risk of causing problems like infections. These are also sometimes called Foley catheters or Foleys.

Lastly, there is the suprapubic catheter. These work by putting a tube directly into the bladder via a hole made in the abdomen, a surgical procedure. These are onl yused if the other types cannot be for some reason.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I honestly feel that this is not something you should be expected to cope with at home, not with someone with dementia. He is highly likely to forget, or try to pull it out, as my FIL did over and over when he had a catheter because of prostate cancer. But by then my FIL was in an EMI nursing home. I do feel that it is asking an awful lot of you, and I do so feel for both you and your poor dad.

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex

Hi Jillysmile
Your poor dad, and you too, by the time the dr. came it had probably turned into an emergency. I hope you didnt have too bad a day?
My son has been catheterised for the past 2 years whilst (still) awaiting an operation. He cannot be catheterised in the normal way and has to have it done in hospital by guide wire. If he needs to have it re-done your dad should at least have strong painkillers a couple of hours before. To have to pin him down is dreadful.

Jillysmile

May 17, 2013
Helston, Cornwall
Dad had a stroke on Sunday after being in care home for 6 days

My poor 90 year old dad was transferred to a care home after 3 weeks in hospital - his catheter got blocked and he ended up having to have an operation to remove a tumour and blood clot from his bladder.
He was transferred to a ch after being there for six days he had a stroke ( on Sunday), when paramedics arrived he was pleading and begging to die :( thank goodness they listened to him and he is now in a lovely cottage hospital not far from me. He's refused any treatment for his stroke and isn't eating - I am visiting him everyday but I can't believe that he's still here, I feel guilty for saying or even thinking it but I really hope he goes very soon as he's suffering (in pain with the cancer) and stroke. Don't know how much more he can stand. I'm the only one visiting him and I'm finding it hard. - sorry just needed to rant - again! How much longer can he go on like this?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O dear, I am so sorry and so very sorry for your father. It is such a sad time for you and I can understand your mixed emotions. Like you, I hope his pain is eased soon and he can be at peace. Thining of you with understanding and sympathy.

Bumble B

Apr 20, 2011
Sussex
You poor soul,this must be agony for both of you. Keep strong for your visits, and I hope your father passes peacefully before too long. Your presence will surely be comforting for him at this sad time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77