Ebixa

shark2

Aug 22, 2012
n ireland
Hi everybody. Haven't posted for a while but just wanted to ask a question.
Mum went to see the psychogeriatrician last week. Her MMe score has dropped 4 points in the last 6 months and her anxiety is increasing at a rapid rate - lost her door keys and was convinced someone had broken into her house and taken them :confused: - I found them on the bathroom floor and the next day they went missing again - same people :eek:. This time they were in her bag! Anyway I told the doc about this anxiety and she is becoming much more aggressive and argumentative. He has prescribed her Ebixa. She is also on Aricept. Has anyone had experience of being on the two tablets and has it made any difference? Thank You :eek:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hello Shark2

I am not an expert in the medication that you ask but wanted to acknowledge your post. Someone will come along soon and give you advice x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wanted that for my husband but our local nhs trust wouldn't agree. He's on Ebixa alone now I hope the combination works for your mum m

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The effect of medication on any individual dementia patient can only be ascertained by trial.

Aricept by itself does not appear to have had an adverse reaction with your mum yet if you search this forum you will find many examples of different bad reactions.

It's natural to enquire about the effects on other people but in the final analysis your mum is an individual with individual tolerance to any medication, you have to rely on the judgement of the prescribing physician.

To answer your question directly. I have limited experience of both Aricept and Ebixa being prescribed together, this was for a period of one month whilst the Aricept was gradually stopped and the Ebixa started. There was no adverse reaction during this time.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Hi Shark2

MIL has been on Aricept for over 3 years and started taking Exiba around 5 months ago. We called the MHT in as she was becoming very aggressive, angry and generally difficult. They prescribed Exiba and the GP questioned the prescribing of this along with Aricept.

MHT said this is new thinking, that they both act differently and so to prescribe both at the same time can be benifical.

MIL has calmed down a lot since taking it. Is that the drug or would she have calmed down anyway? Who knows. They are not having any adverse effect on her so we are happily carrying on giving them to her.

I think as Nitram said, it is only by trial and error you can work out what is best for your Mum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I was told that Ebixa was prescribed mostly where there are behavioural issues. This is the only reason our NHS trust will prescribe it alongside Aricept. As my husband shows no behavioural symptoms the memory clinic doctor said she couldn't't recommend dual therapy. Now that my. Husband's MMSE score is around 6 she won't prescribe Aricept or Exelon but has prescribed Ebixa by itself.

antoniomoreno

Sep 3, 2012
In the UK, both medications are prescribed in advanced stages. In the US and Latin America, they are usually prescribed together from early stages. My mom has been in both since 2006 and is doing very well. There's no connection between either medication and behavioural issues.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Sorry you're experiencing these problems with your mum, sounds like you're going through a very rough time. Only to say my dad has been taking Aricept and Ebixa together for some yrs (were told it was ok to by the psychiatrist). I'm not sure if the Ebixa has made a huge difference with him to be honest, like your mum it was prescribed for challenging behaviour, although have heard others have responded much better. Think Ebixa takes a while to kick in but monitor your mum closely and report back to the doctor if needs be. Do hope it helps, you get to a stage where you become desperate for anything to make a difference so it's well worth trying.