rectal prolapse?

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
I need. Some ideas please. Mum has a rectal prolapse and she doesn't understand that when she thimks she is going to the toilet it is actually the rectal lining that is dropping down. So she sits there for an hour screaming that she needs a dr or hospital or her late husband. We have seen the consultant anx he wont operate due to her age and heart condition. Dr told me to push it back and let her rest but she can't rest as she is in somuch pain. Tonight she was in thentoilet for three hours and blocked it up with paper twice. It is a nightmare. I have shown her pictures of what it looks like but it just does not go in that she is not passing a stool and that she is trying tos force out the lining of her rectum. Any ideas..?

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Call out the emergency doctor how can she be expected to cope with this. Its cruel pushing it back sounds painful she and you need proper professional help what if you tear the lining and cause a fistula . Unbelievable !

I've had rectal fistula surgery through a severe case of food poisoning years ago. It was even then simple, pain free and instantly cured. To suffer as your mum is simply not acceptable please get a second opinion and get her help. For pain relief ask the dr for a syringe without the needle and local anaesthetic to deaden the sensation as this involves biggest muscle in the body and causes a huge amount of pain when it gets torn and that is only a short hop away if the root cause of the problem is not treated. I'm so cross reading this yes she may be old and frail but my mum had a hip replaced and is on Wharfarin which was not problem. At 86 and frail she recovered well might your mum also recover well too.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh your poor mum. Surely that's. not right. I have no experience of this but I think Fed Up's advice is sound. x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I Have no experience with this

I think you should make it very clear to this gp what it is like for your mum to be suffering from a rectal prolapse
sometimes Doctors dont seem to understand unless they actually see the suffering for themselves or see it in writing, so I would
copy your post to the doctor and add to it , also many think that once a problem/ trouble has been sorted the person calms down straight away, I wish!!!

I know any form of Dementia and general Anaesthetic, hospital stays
do not go well together
I am no medic but their surely must be something that could be done, perhaps under a local Anaesthetic

As has already been said you are fully entitled to a second opinion

Last edited:

zigandzag

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham
I really feel for you. I have had this operation twice many years ago and can understand exactly what your poor mom is going through. She needs urgent help.

I would also video her on your phone (not the ins and outs of what's happening below) but to show the doctor how much distress this is causing your poor mom. Then he/she may take the problem seriously. If not then I'd also get a 2nd opinion. Good luck and let us know how you get on

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
Rectal Prolapse

Went to hospital yesterday afternoon for my injection (rheumatoid arthritis) and whilst I was waiting to go in I got a phone call from the carer advising that she had called an ambulance because she thought mum was having a heart attack. After my injection I went round to A&E and met the ambulance with Mum shouting at the Paramedics that the "van" was very uncomfortable and she didn't want to be there and to take her home. I accompanied them into the A&E and 3 hours later after ECG's blood tests etc etc I asked the Dr about the rectal prolapse. He had a look and said "it's in now so there's nothing we can do." Mum was screaming to go home so we left. One hour later we ended up in the same situation.... Mum trying to go and shouting at me to help her.
Her GP is on holiday and she won't see anyone else as she's embarrassed with male Dr's. Looks like we'll have to wait till GP come back.
Thanks everyone for your help - It is so good to have people to talk to about these problems - no-one else really wants to know not even family !!! You're "simply the best" !!!

zigandzag

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham
Hi Desperado - I really feel for this awful situation you and your mom are in - as I said I have had this (twice) and it really is horrible - both times I had to have an op to sort it.

Best advice I can give is to make sure your mom is not eating anything that can makes things worse whilst you wait for the GP to return. Bananas, eggs and any "binding" foods are not good as they will just mean she has to strain more. Salad was also not good for me at that time. Obviously plenty of veg, brown bread etc will be good for her and you may find a mild laxative may help her to go a bit more easily too.

Sending you my very best wishes.

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
Hi Desperado - I really feel for this awful situation you and your mom are in - as I said I have had this (twice) and it really is horrible - both times I had to have an op to sort it.

Best advice I can give is to make sure your mom is not eating anything that can makes things worse whilst you wait for the GP to return. Bananas, eggs and any "binding" foods are not good as they will just mean she has to strain more. Salad was also not good for me at that time. Obviously plenty of veg, brown bread etc will be good for her and you may find a mild laxative may help her to go a bit more easily too.

Sending you my very best wishes.

Thank you zigndzag I give mum loads of fruit & veg, she takes movical but has gone off brown bread. Will try to get her back on it as she won't remember she doesn't like it anymore. Just going to get some now!

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Bumping up thus old thread, as my
Mother (87) has just had a rectal prolapse. Abdominal surgery for another problem a few years ago was an absolute nightmare with 11 days of delirium, so I am interested to know how things turned out in your situation, if you're still out there!

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Thanks, nitram, will do. Now the nurses want to take another look as I mentioned her previous bladder prolapse. Much confusion. I will make a thread when I know more.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife had a operation for a retocele procedure in the early stages of her dementia (as yet unspecified), they were going to use propofol but I persuaded the anaesthetist to use an epidural, there was only slight confusion on recovery.

EDIT

My wife's was 'not far enough in' for a pessary to be of any use.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you Nitram for your pm. I have no idea why the link did not transfer in full as I copied it nor why it links to something totally unconnected. I simply highlight, copy and paste as it is written originally,

I hoped to help Celia, so went to Desperado's profile and checked her threads and posts.
The link should have taken the reader to the last thread started by Desperado entitled "Getting Mum to hospital" in which she says that her mother was to have the requested operation which I though was relevant.
Seems it was a wasted effort. I apologise.
I have edited the earlier post.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Saffie,
No need to apologise.
I realise that you were pointing out to CeliaThePoet that the thread was an old one, your effort was not wasted in that you warned her that the OP might not see her post.

For some inexplicable reason your link morphed from
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...um-to-hospital&p=840389&viewfull=1#post840389
HTML:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?64101-Getting-Mum-to-hospital&p=840389&viewfull=1#post840389
to
http://forum.alzheimer.org.uk/showthread.php?64101-Getting-Mum-to-hospital
HTML:
http://forum.alzheimer.org.uk/showthread.php?64101-Getting-Mum-to-hospital

HTML code to show full address

Using alzheimer instead of alzheimers lead to an offer to purchase alzheimer.org.uk which is unused.

I have no idea how or why it happened but PMed you so that you could just rectify it unobtrusively.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, I thought that Celia might be reassured that Desperado's mother had eventually been referred for an operation but I'm sure your post has now supplied that reassurance, Nitram.
Thank you for pointing out the missing "s". I would hate the administrators or moderators to think I was attempting to sell the society off - with or without the "s"!

I hope Celia, that your mother has a satisfactory outcome. It sounds a most distressing condition.

P.s. The iPad does seem to provide more opportunity for the French policeman to creep in than the computer!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Going OT

Bit surprised AS did not register a host of similar domains to alzheimers.org.uk

Alzheimer.org.uk is registered by Tom Reeves till expiry 28/04/17 meaning anybody can buy it off him and do what they like with it.

https://who.is/whois/alzheimer.org.uk

Perhaps the policeman can cause PEBKAC

If (when) you google I hope you don't land on anything too derogatory!!

Seriously though, I have no idea how anything you did could omit a character from a link, is it some weird inbuilt autocorrect.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Going OT

Bit surprised AS did not register a host of similar domains to alzheimers.org.uk

Alzheimer.org.uk is registered by Tom Reeves till expiry 28/04/17 meaning anybody can buy it off him and do what they like with it.

https://who.is/whois/alzheimer.org.uk

Perhaps the policeman can cause PEBKAC

If (when) you google I hope you don't land on anything too derogatory!!

Seriously though, I have no idea how anything you did could omit a character from a link, is it some weird inbuilt autocorrect.

Well if it is user caused then I don't know how. All I do is bring up the options and highlight, copy and the paste in the new post. As for the possible inbuilt autocorrect, I have to say, the iPad does come up with some some weird replacements whereas my phone, which is Android, remarkably seems to find the correct word from a jumble of mixed-up letters.

Anyway, I'll pass on the purchase of the particular website - seems I have enough to deal with on this one!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5