George & Margarets Journey with Alzheimer's

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Couldn't agree more Margaret - where there's life, there's hope. Glad your visit was so loving today. xx

Margaret938

Hello All
I had a lovely visit with George today, I went up an hour later than usual, just to give him a chance to have a nice snooze after lunch. He was in the quiet lounge again, I think he likes it better than the bigger lounge, one of the residents (who is 99 !!) cough very loud and for a long time. George does not like loud noises, so he usually shouts "Shut Up" so one of the carers took him into the lounge where he could have peace and quiet, he has been having his meals in there, and to be honest I think it suits him much better, I have asked if he could eat there all the time if he wants. There is no problem with that since he can go where he likes. He started his lower dose Risperidone today, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not effect his calmness, he is so much better behaved just now. However, I am hoping he gets some of his mobility back. I will just have to wait and see.
He was in a lovely mood today, especially when his friend's wife came into visit him, it is his friend's second wife and she is 25 years younger than him, she is very tall and very attractive. George gave her a huge smile when she came into the lounge. It was lovely to see his face light up. She and I took George out for a walk with his 'new' three wheel walker, she ended up pushing it and he took my hand. All in all it was a really nice visit. Can't wait to see him tomorrow.
Take care all,
Much love, Margaret xx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Aw Margaret that sounds like a lovely visit I hope the one tomorrows goes well,

Jeany xx

Last edited:

Margaret938

Hello All
Today is Georges second day on the lower dose of Risperidone, I know it is too early to judge, but today I had the most wonderful visit ever. When I went in he was sitting in the Sun Lounge, looking at the newspaper, I could not believe my eyes. He was so relaxed that I just sat there with him for an hour in quiet contentment, him with the newspaper and me sticking matchsticks on the roof of a little birdhouse. We went into the quiet lounge for afternoon tea, and our son and grandson came in, his face just lit up. He was more alert and saying more words than I have heard for a long time, After taking him upstairs for his shave and foot massage, we went back to the birdhouse, and he and I painted some of it. I took him back into the quiet lounge for his tea, while I was sitting with him waiting for it to be served, he mouthed "I love you". Words cannot express how happy I felt. When I was leaving, he was not in the least perturbed, I said that I was going and he said "On you go". The carer and I looked at each other in surprise. I walked down the road on such a high. I am afraid to think about tomorrow, just in case this was a one off. I just had to share this with you all.
Much Love,
Margaret xx

meglin

Sep 25, 2011
Dear Margaret. How lovely!!!!!! So happy for you .Long may it continue. Love Meglin.

Margaret938

Wish me luck, I am about to go and visit George in a wee while, I will be so disappointed if yesterday was a one off. I have been worried ever since I had such a good visit yesterday, that it won't last.
Love Margaret x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Margaret

I'm so glad you have had such good visits the last couple of times. Perhaps George's good mood will continue with the meds reduction. Well done for being so persistent over that.Pete still very much up and down but he was much better today.I would so love for Pete to say he loved me-but I think that won't happen anymore.He did say to me yesterday (after telling me someone was trying to murder him) that I was perfect. Then 'wonderful'.:)

It's so good to hear of your good times Margaret.

Love from Lyn T

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Margaret

What a wonderful visit you had with George yesterday! A joy to read, and many of us will know exactly how much it lifted your heart. I do hope today's visit is as good as yesterday, shall try to pop in later to hear about it.

Henry was ultra-sensitive to noises and he also used to shout "SHUT UP" at a resdent who coughed a lot, and another who shouted a lot.

Much love
Loo xxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Pete still very much up and down but he was much better today.I would so love for Pete to say he loved me-but I think that won't happen anymore.He did say to me yesterday (after telling me someone was trying to murder him) that I was perfect. Then 'wonderful'.:)

Ah that as good, Lyn, being told you were perfect then wonderful. Like Pete Henry is very much up and down but he can at times surprise me, months after I thought some abiity had gone. You may well still get that precious "I love you".

Love
Loo xxx

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I hope you found George in the same good mood today. Do you think it was the reduction in his medication? Whatever, it was a day to remember Margaret and because you put an account of your day on TP you can read it back and smile like I did. :)

Carol x

Margaret938

Hello Izzy, Lyn, Loo and Carol,
Thank you all so much for your kind words, and your joy at my joy. I know what it is like to have bad days, just as you all do, but the good days make life again worthwhile. Isn't it funny how the three little words "I Love You" mean so much to us now. A few years ago they would not have had the same impact. Such a little remark can bring the sunshine into our lives.:)

MY VISIT TODAY
It was good, but not quite so good as yesterday, George was not quite so alert, and unfortunately I did not get those all important words. I got lots of hugs and kisses, which did make up for the lack of words. He is much more settled and will sit for longer, I was so tired after my walk up today, it must have been the strong wind, I was so glad of a nice seat on the sofa with him, I just put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes for a while, I told him I was tired and needed a wee rest. Thankfully he sat quietly with me, for almost half an hour !! We sat at the table and enjoyed a cup of tea and some millionaire shortbread - lovely. That put the spring back in my step. He let me shave him and give him a foot spa and pedicure without any trouble and then we went out for a wee walk around the grounds. He seemed to be walking a bit better today, more upright but still slow. I am hoping that the reduction in the medication is working, but it is early days. He has changed to 250mcg instead of 500mcg Risperidone in the morning but still on 500mcg at night.
I am so aware spouting off about my happiness when it is a good day, that I hope I am not pushing it in the faces of my TP friends who are perhaps not having such a good day with their loved ones. Please believe me when I say that I am not meaning to be overpowering.
Take care,
All my love,
Margaret xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Aw Margaret
I love reading about your good visits.They give me hope that the next time I visit Pete mine will be as so.As some days they are:):) As you say it's early days with the meds but it seems to be going in the right direction.

Take care my dear.

Love from Lyn T

Margaret938

Hello All,
I was so very tired last night I actually went to bed at 8.30 !!! mind you it is not really much earlier than I have been going lately, I am so lonely at night that I think sleep is the only think that will chase the emptiness away. A bit like an ostrich. Life has so little meaning now, that evryday is so much the same and I just go through the motions of living. I do sound very dramatic, when I should be grateful for what I do have, I still have George albeit in body and flesh only.
On the brighter note, I brought him home yesterday and had a pretty nice afternoon. We sat and watched a bit of TV and he nodded off for a wee while holding my hand, it was nice to have him holding my hand while watching TV, we used to do that every night. We were always too busy during the day to sit down, so evening was our time to relax. I have not sat in the room we sat in or on the sofa in there since he went into the CH, I know this sounds so silly.
He had a good old wander in the house, every room picked things up and seemed to know his way around very well. For a short couple of hours it was so nice to have company in this empty house. It was a lovely day, but very windy so we did not go into the garden, when we were going out to get the taxi, I asked him if he thought I was keeping the garden tidy enough. He agreed I was.
For the first time, he was not overly keen to go into the CH, seemed a bit agitated, and when I sat him down at the table for his tea, there was a wee bit of frustration creeping in. I hope the 'five o'clock shadow' as I call it is not reappearing. I must admit I was not quite so happy as I have been over the past few days, but I am sure after his tea the girls would manage to settle him. I hope, I hope, I hope.
Between that and the unsettling news about Pete from Lyn, last night was not one of my best.
Hey Ho today might be better.
Take care all,
All my love Margaret xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp