Cognitiive Stimulation Therapy

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Haven't posted for a while but had to share with you all. At work we are maybe 7 weeks into the cognitive stimulation therapy group. I personally at the beginning was a bit apprehensive as I too had a family member in the past who I would feel would get no benefit from this. Well I'm wrong. The group involves different topics weekly and even although some of the service users leave the room and have no knowledge of what went on, I can guarantee during the group they have fun, sing, laugh and join in. We have planted lettuce (this session made me laugh because you could tell who wasn't into gardening) no amount of persuasion would make the service users get there hands dirty. Musical bingo went down brilliantly, everybody was singing to the point where we could've got onto Britains Got Talent. One session was producing old coins and everybody talked about what could be afforded when they were young. The beauty of CST is everybody is different and I can guarantee each persons personal situation is enhanced. My favourite time is singing with a particular gentleman whose word finding is very limited. He sings till his heart is content, this is beautiful to watch and when I told his wife this she said in disbelief he doesn't sing. Every word, every song right through. BRILLIANT. I will give you an update at the end of the course and to anyone who is being offered this service for a loved one or for themself give it a try. If you want to know how things went at the course ask a member of staff to write a diary, that's what I do for my families and they find it very helpful. I will keep you updated. Take care.

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Thank you Marchbank, so lovely that you care for your service users and their family.

CST does sound good and i look forward to further updates

Last edited:

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
My husband is attending CST. He has been to two sessions. He was reluctant to go in the first place, but with reassurance that he could contact me if he was unhappy and I would come and collect him, he went. He increasingly finding it difficult to find the right words and he finds it difficult to express himself. Usual when we have friends round he is very tired afterwards. However when I collected him from the first session he was very animated, said he enjoyed himself and was not in the least bit tired. He usually finds meeting a group of strangers stressful. He is definitely going to complete the course. I would strongly advise that if someone is offered this service that they should be encouraged to attend.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
C s t

Haven't posted for a while but had to share with you all. At work we are maybe 7 weeks into the cognitive stimulation therapy group. I personally at the beginning was a bit apprehensive as I too had a family member in the past who I would feel would get no benefit from this. Well I'm wrong. The group involves different topics weekly and even although some of the service users leave the room and have no knowledge of what went on, I can guarantee during the group they have fun, sing, laugh and join in. We have planted lettuce (this session made me laugh because you could tell who wasn't into gardening) no amount of persuasion would make the service users get there hands dirty. Musical bingo went down brilliantly, everybody was singing to the point where we could've got onto Britains Got Talent. One session was producing old coins and everybody talked about what could be afforded when they were young. The beauty of CST is everybody is different and I can guarantee each persons personal situation is enhanced. My favourite time is singing with a particular gentleman whose word finding is very limited. He sings till his heart is content, this is beautiful to watch and when I told his wife this she said in disbelief he doesn't sing. Every word, every song right through. BRILLIANT. I will give you an update at the end of the course and to anyone who is being offered this service for a loved one or for themself give it a try. If you want to know how things went at the course ask a member of staff to write a diary, that's what I do for my families and they find it very helpful. I will keep you updated. Take care.
Couldn't agree more ,My wifes been doing it now twice a week for 2 months now and really enjoys it ,shes in a small group of 5 and lucky for us our hospital is the only one in New Zealand doing it .

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Thanks for your replies

Our group is in the daycare setting so there is a sense of relaxation just moving to another room. I can understand someone feeling stress speaking or joining strangers. I would hate feeling afraid or unsettled. I so try to divert conversation when someone with wordfinding problems feels on the spot but it is so hard because you don't want to butt in or undermine your loved one. I will keep learning and try to give you all an insight into what goes on behind the scenes, i just wanted to assure you that the smiles within the sessions speaks volumes and may I say that's why after doing the alzheimers journey personally, professionally now i am so proud to be able to do whatever I can to help any alzheimer/dementia carer on any step in their path. Why? Because you are angels. X

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
There is a CST list

Thanks for your reply, the list contains firstly the addenbrookes test to check where the memory is at (no judgement just a pointer). We then done food from younger days and had old fashioned sweets to jog the brain. It was funny because some of them were so awful that the clients were pleading for a bin, i was so laughing. The other topics are music (that goes down great), life in the olden days, family tree - i thought this will be bad because it will be too challenging, i was wrong everybody done great. Musical bingo is a must again I hadn't experienced it and thought it would undermine people, i was wrong everybody loved it. Ask for that at the care home it's brilliant. I will check Monday the exact list and post it. Trust me i was as a carer not a believer and now at the other end I'm seeing that there is an advantage in CST. Just everybody remember to ask for a notebook so that you can be involved. X

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
What a good idea. Currently looking for something other than bingo and pokies machines to keep my mother occupied. Have been picking up a magazine or two every week and this seems to help slightly with word finding in speech.

Definitely will investigate CST in Oz, thanks!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL starts CST

MIL starts Cognitive stimulation therapy this week. I am sure she will love it once she is there but has anyone found it has any long term benefits

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Totally sentimental thankyou gosh it's the time of year for it

Just read back some of my threads and i hadn't a clue i'd wrote that, ex dementia carer crazy mind. I'm 4 years on and still so humble in fact feeling quite tearful tonight, it's 4 years tonight since the burial. I just want you all to know whatever stage you are at that there is someone there. My life now is filled with advanced dementia and it is my honour to help any family member even if it means fighting for them. I had too many years of not having the energy to fight and I find professionally that there is not enough people shouting. I am a shouter and I will not stop until people like us and you have a voice. I hasten to add at home I still haven't had burnout, does that matter NO because at work I have stamina and guts and at the moment that's what matters. I am blessed with my service users i love them with a passion their favourite saying is "what happens with us stays with us" bless, no judgement. I am tired, I am drained but I am full of hope that I can bring joy however little. Our CST group went so well everybody didn't want it to end. I want to wish you all a happy New Year wherever you are, stay strong, have hope and do your best, in life that's all we can do. Take care you lovely people and thankyou again. Love. I X

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
The CST group sounds great.

My husband was invited for an assessment at the Memory Clinic today and was then invited to join the next group, which starts next Wednesday and run for nine weeks.

It sounds a lot of fun. My husband will be the youngest in the group at 59 yrs (the next youngest is 75yrs!) - he isn't at all bothered though, he gets on with people of all ages.

It has come at the right time because at this time of year it isn't so easy to get out and about because of the short daylight hours and lousy weather. Some days he is on his own all day because I work, as does daughter - and our son is out at uni. He sees this as an opportunity to meet new people, learn some strategies for coping with memory issues - and basically have some fun.

We were also pleasantly surprised to hear that a volunteer will be picking him and other members of the group up from their homes and delivering them to the meetings each week - then taking them home again.

That's great news because I was wondering quite how I was going to juggle getting him there and back each week. I would have done it, fortunately my work colleagues are very helpful and flexible and would have helped me work something out - but it is just so nice knowing that I don't have to worry about it.

The fact that my husband is looking forward to the group so much is making me feel very positive about the whole experience.

I am sure he will benefit from the group one way or another - if only from a sociable point of view :)

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I think it's because the area of the brain that is associated with music (including song) is different to that which is associated with linguistic skills.

This is why people with even very bad stutters can often sing songs perfectly although they can barely speak in normal conversation.