Hot weather

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Father has dementia (age 90) and looked after by my mother (89 retired nurse) supported by two daughters.

In this hot weather Dad's appetite has reduced to almost nothing and his evening confusion has accelerated and is really worrying my mother and getting her down.

On another post, ice lollies and jelly were suggested as alternatives for fluid intake which we will definitely start on tomorrow.

Any other thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Little & Often Meals

Hello Grandma Joan , am sorry your Father is not eating very much but its understandable in the heatwave . I read some where ( Talking Point ? ) giving smaller portions more often helps & also try finger Snacks * e g cut up Apple , Satsumas etc ( hope your Father is allowed fruit ? & he does not have any special diet etc for health reasons ? ) The fruit could be used to tempt your Father to eat or any other finger type snacks ( rather than expect your Father to eat a big meal once a day & the finger snacks could be offered before a small Jelly etc )

Hope this helps your Mother ( & you ) also on the subject of hot weather / heat wave I started a thread giving lots of safety tips during the Heat wave on keeping you & your loved ones cool :) Its written by Age Uk & my Thread * is in the Health & Well being :) forum on Talking Point

Take care

Love Grove x x

Last edited:

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
I find that my MIL will eat a bowl of tinned peaches or pears - even when she doesn't want anything else. I think it's because they are refreshing & they will provide some fluid intake if they are tinned in fruit juice & not syrup. We also found that she eats better at the start of the day so we now give her a small hot meal (lunch) for breakfast & then give her soup, snacks etc the rest of the day. This has been working for the last 6 months so it's just trial & error to get them eating!

Last edited:

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Thankyou

I like the sound of the tinned peaches - they would slip down easily I guess.

Sadly breakfast is a real chore - half a piece of toast takes an absolute age - but we have to get Dad to eat something before he takes his 8 tablets every morning

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello Grandma Joan,

In this hot weather, we have a whole watermelon and cherries (huge mega-nuggets of things) in the fridge.
I notice Mum's appetite is less in all this heat, I saw 42 C in the shade today here in la Belle France.
I gave Mum a bowl of museli (she gave it to the dog) for breakfast. Plus two slices of succulent green melon, cut into bite sized chunks, which she ate with pleasure.

For lunch Mum had turkey strips cooked with aubergine and red peppers - which she ate. However what she really enjoyed was the bowl of cherries, icy cool from the fridge for afters.

I give her two large milky cappucino coffees (where her coconut oil is masked), so that ups the fluids and milk intake between breakfast and lunch and mid-afternoon.

Tonight I will be giving her scrambled egg, and more fruit. Mum loves fruit.

Have you thought of smoothies? You can whizz up all manner of calories (full fat milk or even a little cream if calories are required), fresh fruit, icecream, and I am sure he will love that.

Good luck.
Also you could rinse out a face cloth in warm (not cold) water and sponge his arms and legs down. I have done this on two nights where I felt it was hot. Mum wears socks in bed, and sometimes adds garments on top of her nightie. I imagine her roasting away under a duvet - she won't do without. So sponging down has saved our bacon, and really cools a hot body in a comfortable way.

Good luck, BE