Reading the recent posts have rekindled further memories of how my partner acted.

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
It's really funny - though that's the wrong word to use, I know, as anything to do with dementia is no laughing matter - but the more posts I read, the more memories of my partner's weird behaviour (that's all I thought it was at the time!) come flooding back!

She told me - and I'm afraid, at the time, I believed every word! - that she had been burgled on several occasions. OK - I thought it possible, but unlikely, at the time and that was the explanation for her extreme security arrangements: 3" screws through the top of her six-foot fence, topped with 12" of wire netting, then with green plastic mesh netting stretching from the top of the fence to the nearest point of her house. Way over the top, I thought; but , perhaps, I couldn't take it all in, as I believed her stories of being a victim of repeated burglary! As, after all, her next-door neighbour was a 'tea-leaf' wasn't he? And, yes, being the post office manager of the local sorting office, he could have opened her mail, couldn't he? After all, he had every opportunity, didn't he? All this, and more, Marquita told me... and I began to believe every word! FOOL that I am! She was just so convincing!

It just had to be true, didn't it? After all, who on earth would have gone to such lengths to protect their property? How long do you think it would have taken to screw hundreds of sharp screws through a perimeter fence, covering all three sides of a garden? A week? Two? Three? A month? More likely! And what would her long-suffering neighbours have thought of her actions? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Marquita arrived on the scene, or so I've been told, in July 2004. Immediately her neighbours formed the opinion she was rather 'weird'! She spoke to no-one, she 'scampered' past their properties hood pulled up (even in summer!), head down, neither looking left or right. She went out every morning, and returned every night.

In 2005, she 'summoned' the 'top executive' of street lighting. She didn't like the street light outside her house. It had to be moved, she told him. But, where? he asked. To the left? Or right? No, she said, I don't want it there! But, it's been there since 1972, he told her. I don't care, she replied, I don't want it, it has to go! When asked just where would she like it, she told him on the other side of the road.

But, he said, it was there when you bought the house, so why did you buy it? She just remained adamant it had to go!

He then told her he would work out a price to have it removed and would let her know the cost.

"I'm not paying for it!" she shouted at him, "I'm on benefits!" So, the light remained!

But, just why did she want it removed? It didn't block her driveway - anyhow, she didn't have a car - neither did it cause light pollution at night, because she slept at the back of her house.

Then, one day, she told me of a man, all dressed in black, with a balaclava covering his face, peering through her bedroom window during the early hours. As she slept upstairs he was either in of excess 12 feet tall, or he had a ladder! I tried, but failed, to talk her out of that one. She said he was a policeman 'spying on her'.

I once found a calendar (she kept everything from year dot!), and, on the back of one page, she'd written: 'I went on the bus to Watton today, and the police followed me all the way in their car.' There was another entry too: 'When I arrived in Norwich today, the police helicopter followed me all the way from the bus station... I lost them by going into Castle Mall!'

Marquita was so paranoid about the police.

I think this started after she had called them out several times, as she said she had prowlers in her garden, or outside her house. Each time they came they found no-one. All this, her neighbours have told me, although she did mention some of it to me as well.

Please don't think Marquita's neighbours are vindictive, or troublemakers, because they are not. They are just ordinary people, who wanted to be friendly towards her, but she would never let them into her little world.

On another occasion, apparently, she called the police as her 'boyfriend' had 'roughed her up'. When they arrived, again, on-one was found and, when asked, she couldn't give a name or identity to her 'boyfriend'. Luckily for me, it was before my time!

When we met, Marquita mad a big thing of telling me she hadn't been in an 'intimate relationship' since the loss of her two sons (through drugs, I later discovered!) in 2003/2004. This wasn't true, of course, as her neighbours told me she'd had a great many 'men friends' over the years, and they used to joke about 'how this one would last' - including me! They were mortified when, in February, they heard that we'd become engaged to be married!

It seems to me now, Marquita became who she would have liked to have been and acted the part well, because of her illness. And, knowing what I now know, even our relationship followed a pattern.

When we became engaged, on St Valentine's Day this year, Marquita told me her previous partner had wanted them to become engaged but she said 'no'. This, as I found out later, was not true.

They were engaged, and, in fact, she arranged someone to make their rings for them. Hers was a blue sapphire stone. And, do you know what? She chose the same colour with me!

Their engagement lasted three months, then she 'high-tailed' it to Norfolk, deserting her fiancé. And, after three months, she tried the same with me! On the day before her sectioning, Marquita bought a train ticket from Norfolk to Wales! She never mentioned a thing to me! If she hadn't been in such mental decline she could have managed it, but, the next day - when she was due to travel to Wales - the local police became involved - as it was thought she was about to harm herself - and she was assessed by the CRHT people, and sectioned. Sad, but true!

Later, I was to discover something she never mentioned to me, although I passed the information on to her doctors.

In a letter of apology for 'not doing very well' in a BSL examination in 2001, she said: "Since my road accident, when I received sever head injuries, I have found it hard to concentrate. And the stroke I suffered later didn't help matters either..."

She would have been about 51 then. So, could it have been that the head injuries caused the stroke, then, together, brought on dementia?

What do you think? I would be most interested to know.

Best wishes to you all

Boy Albie

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Oh boy albie your a saint to have coped with all of that. A lesser gent wouldn't have!

I see where you are coming from when you say about the head injuries and the stroke maybe causing some of her symptoms and possibly dementia. I'm not am expert at all so couldn't say yes or no but I'm sure someone with more experience than I have would be able to help.

Do you know that this accident actually happened and the head injuries and stroke occurred? Sorry, that sounds awful doesn't it I don't mean it to. It may be that she has previously had some other mental health problems, I really don't know.

I hope you get a more helpful answer and that you are ok.

Take care
Sharon

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
A saint? Me? No, not really - just fell in love with the wrong person, I guess!

Good morning, Sharon

And many thanks for your kind comments, they're greatly appreciated!

I don't know about being a 'saint' - I've just tried to do my best, but the world and its dog seemed to be against me. And Mr Demon hasn't helped, of course! A lesser gent? That actually sounds me, that does! As I've never been one to push myself forward; I've always lacked confidence, made all the wrong decisions in life all bar this one of wanting the very best for my 'departed' loved one. And that is the hardest thing I've ever been faced with, as it's been an uphill struggle every exhausting step of the way! That's what loved does to one, I guess.

You, and others, on this Forum, have been so kind and supportive to me. You understand, have empathy, been through it, know what's on the horizon.

My friends, here in this market town in mid-Norfolk, try to help in a different way. Not your way, not my way. They lack empathy. They 'tell' me what I must do. I must turn my back on the one I love - and the one, it seems, who doesn't share love with me any more. Finish with my Marquita. Forget her. put it all in the past where it belongs, to gather dust on my distant shelves of memory. As IF I could! And I will not. But Marquita may see to it, of course, that I am forced to do just that, if she refuses to have anything to do with me.

Weeks ago, I had a letter from the CRHT people in which they passed on her wishes: that she wanted no further contact with me, and would hope I respected her wishes. My reply was that I could not give that guarantee, mainly because - if she was sent home - we live so close to each other and Wymondham is such a small place! I made no mention of still being in love with her, although I think they would've known from the tone of my letter - especially ending by saying I would still do anything for her and hoped she would reconsider.

We were in my car one day, quite a while ago now, when a police car came up behind us down a country lane. I pulled over to let it pass. He had a good look at us, and Marquita became quite agitated. I thought the reason was because of her paranoia about the police, but no, not entirely.

She then told me of a RTA in which she'd been involved as a car passenger, and how a paramedic had handled her 'roughly'. She made no mention of any severe head injuries, or a stroke (she'd never told me this, but it was something I found when sorting old letters out after she'd left! I know I shouldn't have looked at it, but I thought if there was anything I could find out about her, it could help her treatment.)

However, she had told me several stories of accidents she'd had, in which she'd been injured. In one, she said, she'd received sever facial damage and had to have her face 'rebuilt' and dental work done. I could never see any evidence of that, and told her so at the time. Her reply was that the team operating on her had 'done a really good job'! But did it really happen? I just don't know what to believe any more.

On another occasion, just before we met, Marquita told me she'd fallen on ice and was bleeding badly from facial injuries. She had also chipped her thigh bone and broken her arm, she said. As she lay on the pavement, covered in blood, several people walked by and no-one stopped to help. I found that very had to believe. Eventually, however, an ambulance arrived and she was taken to hospital.

I do believe part of this episode was true as, shortly after we became 'lovers' she took me to meet her 'carer' who confirmed her 'accident' to me. But that's the only real proof I have.

Finally, in reply to your closing comment about previous mental heath problems, yes, she had received treatment in the past. My doctor knew all about her and eventually said to me I had 'made a most unfortunate choice' with Marquita

Shortly after we first met she'd told me she was a 'manic depressive' and I wouldn't want to see her angry! She also showed me a document listing the number of times she'd been in hospital and the three times she'd tried to kill herself. But this was a document she'd typed out, so I took it with a pinch of salt. Besides, there's only one word I can use here to describe how I felt about her: infatuation. But I think she could have had that affect on any man, and probably did!

I do hope, Sharon, this answers a few things for you. Thank you so much for your help and kindness.

My very best wishes to you

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I am not sure you can support this sad lady without your own mental health being at risk...your are obsessed with her and your toxic relationship and her illness, which you may never understand...I say this as I think you will be able to take a bit of straight talking and probably already know it anyway. Moving forward and leaving this behind does not mean wall to wall loneleyness...if you want to meet someone else you could, you have so much to offer which would become clear to anyone.

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
Spot on Meme! I am sorry Boy Albie but I have been reading your sad and frustrating posts and it is pretty obvious you lady friend is very unwell and you cannot believe a word of what she is saying. Please for your own mental sanity move on! I too fell into the realm of going round in circles and sending myself mad and my friends with constant obsessions regarding my siblings and problems with them. My brother has a Personality Disorder and with them you will never win. Best of luck.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Boy Albie, it seems like your relationship has been quite a difficult one. It's very difficult when you love someone to see anything bad on them but it does seem like Marquita will do anything for attention and lies to her this or to make excuses for her behaviour.

As difficult as it is I do feel as others have said it may be time to let go. It seems to me that you do all the giving and Marquita takes from you and then throws everything back at you. Your own mental health is important and you can't let it be affected.

Maybe, trying to see things from her side for a moment she is saying to stay away as she doesn't want to hurt you further as she knows she will. This could also be the reason she went to run away previously and why she ran away from previous boyfriends.

As hard as it is to let go I think you will at some point need to. Maybe you could speak to your doctor and ask for some counselling to help you through? I'm half keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't return home for your sake more than hers.

I'm sorry I know mine and other comments may be difficult to read but they are out of convent for you they are posted. Should she go into a home it will be family who are called on to sort the house etc so it may be an idea to be prepared to be cut out of the loop as it were. This may make things easier on you.

You live in a lovely part of the country, go out and enjoy it, maybe join some social clubs and take some trips. My nan and grandad used to live in Oulton Broad in Lowestoft, I know it's a bit further towards the coast but the area there and around is beautiful. It's difficult but I think you need to slowly start to let go.

Take care,

Sharon

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
You are quite right, Meme!

Looking back at everything that has happened and how it has made me feel, you are absolutely 'spot on', Meme, about my own mental health being at risk here. I think I have always known it, but didn't have the courage to let go. Instead I began making excuses how I could help her and remember this for her and that. Whilst all the time I was getting more deeply involved in the dark side effects of mental illness.

Thank you for your straight talking! It has made me take a look at myself. And, yes, I think I knew it already but was too afraid of losing her to let go. Now, I know, I must.

Best wishes

Ashley

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
You, too, are quite correct, Jaycee

I have known for a long time Marquita was living in her own little world, changing each day into whatever she wishes it to be. Because of her memory loss, she couldn't recall all the things she said to me - but I did, and they didn't make sense. To me there were so many lies, to her they were reality as she wished it to be.

Yes, I have been going round and round in circle, eventually meeting myself coming back! Or so it seemed. I couldn't make sense of anything. But with mental illness, how can you?

Move on, I must, and I shall. I know I can. And I have the strength to do it.

Thank you so much for all being so brutally honest to me. At last you've got through this thick skull of mine!

Regards

Boy Albie

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Hi Ashley,

I echo what the others have said and think for your own health you ought to try and move on from this.

You said in the beginning, if I'm not mistaken, that your wife died fairly recently, so perhaps you need to be being kind to yourself and get over that first, then getting out there joining some groups or something that will allow you a chance to meet other people.

Just as a matter of observation I notice that you came up with a different monika on your edit Last edited by SerenaS; Today at 09:21 AM. :confused::confused:

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
Boy Albie, I've read your threads and been concerned about what I was reading but I do feel that it was probably cathartic for you to get everything down in writing. In a way it has become counselling for you. A good counsellor helps you to find your own way of dealing with things and I think by writing as you have done it has helped you to see that for your own sake you have to let go. I hope you can move on with your life.

As an aside, I used to know Wymondham well having lived there for several years in the late 70s early 80s. My parents also lived there and my brother & his family are still there.

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
I have known for some time Marquita will never find peace

Thank you Sharon

Even my doctor eventually had to tell me Marquita was 'a most unfortunate choice'! He knew all the time - and wanted so badly to 'warn me off' as he knows me so well - but, of course, because of patient confidentiality, he couldn't breath a word - until I told him she had been sectioned and the reason.

From what her neighbours have told me, she was never short of men friends - she carved attention, as you have suggested.

It is time to let go; when she left me and was sectioned, then was the time to let go as well, but I could not.

Everyone has seen my own mental health in decline, but have only recently told me. I am now please to tell you all, today, I received a phone call for an initial assessment of my own mental care. It ended with an offer of a further session of one to one counselling - just for me, and nothing to do with her! Even before I read your replies I knew I needed help, so I have accepted the offer and my appointment is on Monday, 5 August, at 10:30.

We all know I need this, don't we?

Please keep me in your thoughts... and wish me luck! I'm going to need it.

My thanks to all of you for your help

Ashley

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
That's great that you have someone to talk to, sometimes it's easier to talk to complete strangers and people removed from a situation. All I can say is let it all out and if you need further appointments then have them.

Marquita now is part of your passed, you've been so good to her through everything she has put you through, now it's time to put yourself first.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Sharon

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Boy Albie

Your partner Marquita could have been my "friend" Denise. Such a tragic life she had led. Her mother was a dragon in all respects, her first husband an alcoholic, she graduated as scientist but hardly ever worked in that field. By the time she was 25 she was divorced and bereft. She developed several Compulsive disorders, switching lights on and off, locking doors, washing hands a hundred times a day. She told stories of medical emergencies, she had scores of medical problems. I tried to help her, went with her to psychiatrist appointments, but everywhere she turned she was refused serious help.

I don't know how much of what she told me was true. It might have all been true. But it was too complex for an untrained person to handle.

She now has a new partner. He seems happy enough with her. They are both in their sixties now. I wish him well.

Marquita obviously has mental health issues, and the ordinary person can't usually deal with them. So don't feel badly about not being able to help her, she probably can't or won't be helped. Don't feel sad about it, feel that you contributed to her life while you could, but it is now the end of the episode because it did not give you satisfaction and never would.

Best wishes

Margaret

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Finally, to Margaret, I say

Yes, the similarity is quite striking, as Marquita had such a thirst for knowledge and went on to study many things, at least so she said! She did, however, qualify - and teach - as a British Sign Language tutor, in itself quite a demanding role, and went on to take a course for psychotherapy, though never qualified (although she counselled clients, or so she told me!).

Marquita, too, thought she had just about every ailment under the sun. Although she did have several things that even I began to notice. One of these was all her toenails would turn brown and eventually drop off, one by one, and she had several dreadful sores on her feet. I never saw these, but she did show me photos as she took pictures of everything! Thousands of them! Car number plates outside her house, bedroom windows at night (don't ask!), posties in the road and the tops of their heads from her bedroom window, the list is endless! Paranoia, at its worst!

The banded, brown toenails concerned me the most, when I looked it up on the Internet, and my doctor insisted I had THE test! I have never been so embarrassed - and ashamed - in my entire life. I think you will know what I mean. Thankfully, the results were negative, but, both my doctor and I were quite worried at the time!

Yes, Marquita is beyond help. Perhaps she always was. And, you are right, I could never hope to begin to understand her problems or help deal with them, they are totally beyond my capabilities.

I merely take comfort in the knowledge - reinforced by what I have heard today - that, as she had told most of our friends, when Marquita and I were together she was the happiest she'd ever been in her entire life. It is just so sad it ever had to end.

Best wishes

Boy Albie

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
It seems I've been affected by all I've been through...

I have known, for some time, that things just aren't what they should be with me! Since Marquita, my partner, was 'taken into care' - and still is, 11 weeks later, to the best of my knowledge - I have totally lost interest in life! My doctor was aware of the possibility of this happening, weeks ago, and prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping pills, which did little to ease my problems. Every day, since Marquita was sectioned on Friday 10 May, I have thought of little else but of how I could help her and get her life back to what it was. A hopeless task, I admit! But I have just kept on trying to come up with information about her illness and symptoms to pass on to her medics and social workers. Some times I think I've gone over the top!

Of course, as you may imagine, I received no feedback, no thank you's, no acknowledgements to my phone calls and letters. This made me feel even worse, of course. I began to feel worthless, unwanted, as if I didn't matter or didn't exist even. The social services have much to answer to, in my opinion. They are always getting it wrong, and, here, with me and my problems, they are worse that useless. I met Marquita's social worker just the once, so very briefly; social worker, did I say? To me it looked as it she was going to a party, the way she was dressed. I guess they are all overpaid for what little they do. I was told, when she didn't answer my phone calls, she was extremely busy! Too busy to take up my offer of helping saving the cash-starved NHS/Social Services money by offering to help whenever or wherever I could!

So I wrote a letter of complaint. Where has it got me? Nowhere! Perhaps they cannot even afford a piece of paper to write upon? I give up! But should I? We often read in the press of 'social service failures' in which vulnerable young children lose their lives as the result of ineptitude on the part of one social worker or another. So they hold an enquiry. But what does that achieve? Nothing - because they never learn by their mistakes. I understand by my earlier comments about the social services that others have had similar problems, so I am not alone. But when will these people learn?

As for myself, I have now received an appointment - at the same hospital Marquita is in (or was in, as I have no idea where she is now) - to be 'assessed' in order for me 'needs' to be identified. By that, I guess, they mean I'm going 'nuts' too! I guess they'll come to the conclusion that I need some 'suitable counselling' and I'll be advised to seek out some privately at 'no cost to to the NHS'.

But what should I have to pay? It was the system that brought me to this: the lack of foresight in the mental health assessment team for not including me in Marquita's emergency assessment (my God, I was her fiancé and partner after all!); the absolute stupidity of the team for believing she was of sound enough mind to sign that blessèd Consent of Disclosure Notice against me; and all those faceless social workers who do not possess even the basic skills of common courtesy to acknowledge my letters.

Nuts, am I? Maybe... only time will tell. Bitter? YES! Angry? Extremely! Helpless? Very much so. Where do I go from here? I just haven't got a clue. What do I wish for my dearest partner, Marquita? Peace! And a reasonable quality of life... and for my input, however limited, though sincerely offered, to be acknowledged and appreciated.

And my love for her? It changes not!

Thank you, my friends.

Boy Albie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77