You won't win the battle, mum......

Salli

May 15, 2012
Mum, 93 years (has LBD), at new care home for just half a day before being sent to A & E. Since then, within nine days of move, she has had another two admittances. For latest admittance I was told to get there asap because mum was completely unresponsive and it was agreed with doctor to note DNR, with mum remaining just on oxygen and being made as comfortable as possible for her last days.

But my feisty mother is having none of this. After 15 hours of being completely 'out of it', she was back – and attempting to eat breakfast. How I wish she'd stop fighting this, but somewhere, hidden within this horrid disease, her personality is doggedly refusing to accept what's happening. Her stroppiness, persistance and argumentative nature is striving to win. She shouts (it's more than shouting - a very deep and extremely loud bellow, almost like a cow mooing) every few minutes, day and night and is one of the reasons she was evicted from previous home. “Nurse”, “Mummy”, “Daddy”, “Help”, over and over. She has been moved to a side room, but even so I could hear her before I'd even reached the ward. She is lying in foetal position and gabbles nonsense in between the bellowing. She seems frightened and bewildered and I gleaned she is terrified of dying. No medication (various tried in last two months) to alleviate her agitation has helped. Within less than a few seconds of seemingly realising it was me (after explanation) she'd forgotten. Just before I arrived she had pulled out the needles from drip and removed all the dressing from her leg (self-inflicted injury from throwing stuff around). Each time I visit she won't face me, and grips for dear life the rails at side of bed. She seems so wound up and so tense, so unhappy. I just wish she'd let go – of everything, of life.

MaddenedMick

Jun 4, 2013
Is she worried about death? Is she religious? If so, a visit from a parish priest might reassure her that there is nothing to be unduly concerned about.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
This must be so hard for you. I feel for your mother too. My own husband is becoming more agitated about what is going on in his life now, wher he used to be so content. I hate seeing him agitated, and I am sure you feel the ame way too with your Mum

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oh salli, how terrible for you and your poor mum. I understand that feeling of hopelessness and being so conflicted. Your natural response to this situation would be to see some sweet release for your mum. This is such a horrid, horrid condition, the way it torments the mind so much, and all we can do is stand by helplessly, wishing they could just have some peace and comfort.

I really wish you much strength as you face this, it's so heartbreaking, isn't it? I wish so much that I could give you some useful help but I have nothing to offer other than much sympathy and lots of hugs.

Stephanie, xxx

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I'm not sure if this is a completely stupid suggestion but the first thing that popped into my head was Macmillan nurses and hospice carers who help people come to terms with death and dying. The reason I then thought it was stupid was because they don't deal with the added dimensions which dementia brings - but I wondered if you might be able to call and see advice? I know there are also Admiral nurses who care for dementia sufferers and wondered if they also might help.

And I know what you mean too, about letting go ... something is keeping her going ... fear of death is an incredible driver. Big hugs to you xxxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I'm not sure if this is a completely stupid suggestion but the first thing that popped into my head was Macmillan nurses and hospice carers who help people come to terms with death and dying. The reason I then thought it was stupid was because they don't deal with the added dimensions which dementia brings - but I wondered if you might be able to call and see advice? I know there are also Admiral nurses who care for dementia sufferers and wondered if they also might help.
Kingmidas , this is not a silly suggestion at all, I know some here who had Macmillan nurses involved with their Dementia sufferer, I had the Hospice involved with my mum who had mixed dementia

Salli
I am sorry to hear about your Mum. Many a time I wished that my Mum would let go so she would be free of this horrid disease
Please do seriously think about contacting the Macmillan nurses and or the hospice
to get the hospice involed you need to be referred bya doctor or nurse,

I am wondering if your mum is shouting/bellowing because she is in pain and this is the only way she can say she is in pain, it would be worth discussing this with the doctors ath the hospital even if mum is being given pain relief, as it might need changing/increasing
I know my mum could get very agitated if she was in pain.

I found this factsheet on here about unusual behaviour
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=159
I hope it helps

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Oh, Salli, how terribly distressing for you and your mum. You'd think there would be some medication to give her some peace. I do know the feeling of wishing they'd 'let go' - my mother doesn't bellow but she's in such a pitiful state and is never happy or contented, and at 95 now we do feel she's suffered this horrible disease long enough. :( So many times I have wished she could just go peacefully to sleep and never wake up.
I do hope your poor mum will not have to suffer much longer.

Salli

May 15, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Mum could be in pain – this has been discussed many many times with everyone concerned. But even on strong pain relief, which causes other problems, she still shouts. She stops for a little while with one to one attention – if you can engage her in something. She has qualified for chc assessment which I asked for a couple of weeks ago, scoring 2 As and 1B on preliminary test, so I'm hoping a proper appraisal of her needs will result from this. Why is it left to relatives to instigate this? I would never have thought about it had I not been on this website, so thank you TP. According to hospital, mum apparently has had no sleep last night as she was shouting continually. I had requested they give her something to calm her, but ward clerk unable to tell me if they did. Mum deserves better than this. I am unable, this morning, to contact either CPN or Consultant – not even message facility available. I will phone hospital again with list of specific questions after dr done his rounds later this am. I am just too drained to visit her today.

Re suggestions for hospice, macmillan, admiral nurses etc. Our hospice does not deal with dementia -” xxxxxx is for anyone with a life-limiting illness (not dementia or stroke patients) who could benefit from our care”. I think Mcmillan are mainly cancer and we have no Admiral nurses in this area. I honestly don't think mum would benefit from outside input like this anyway – her dementia is too far advanced, but thanks for coming up with ideas. I'm very short on them at moment.....

gillou

Jun 9, 2013
France
Dear Salhi
My MIL was very very aggitated and had awful nightmares and hallucinations, which were unpleasant for her but for us as well. (She still lives with us and we have two teenage children who are very frighten by her outbursts). Our GP now prescribes anti psychotic drugs which help enormasly, without them we would of had to of put her in a nursing home. However these drugs come at a big cost to the user, they can even provoke heart failure in the very elderly and frail. We discussed it and decided to take the risk as her quality of life was so poor that we felt she had very little to lose, and indeed she is now far more lucid and able to enjoy simple things like eating a coffee eclair or drinking coffee and she even manages short conversations on her good days. Perhaps you could suggest antipsychotics to the hospice and see what they say.
My thoughts are with you
Gill

Salli

May 15, 2012
Things are moving so quickly now (but in reality, and for what would be best, not quickly enough for Mum....)

Here is copy of email I just sent to 'invisible' brother - last visited mum 7 months ago.

Visited mum this pm. Big deterioration in appearance. She's conscious but unaware of her surroundings and is unresponsive to people - I don't think she knew I was there. Her breathing is very laboured and rasping and she's on oxygen. She is no longer shouting (no strength). Chest infection seems to have taken over. She's not eating. Her lips were stuck together, so I moistened them and squeezed some water into her mouth. The physios came to try and get her to sit up to help her breathe but gave up, then nurse tried to take blood but after three attempts gave up on that too - veins not obvious and when found blood clotted too quickly.

I don't think she's got much longer. Nobody is prepared to give time scale. I stayed about 40 mins - talked to her, read her the paper, gave her some lavender to smell, but zilch response. They asked if they could phone me any time in night if necessary. I'm not sure they're even giving her liquids - but that's probably for best. Doesn't sound like she'll go on much longer. The sooner it's over.....

I really want this over now - for mum's sake, for mine, for everyone. I can't visit her like this more than once a week - I found myself lying to hospital staff saying I had had a cold. I feel a right heel, but it's just too awful.

gillou

Jun 9, 2013
France
It sounds like the end is very near. Take confort that it will be an end to her suffering as well as your own, my thoughts are with you.
Gill