Dementia and trances

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Hello, I've just been to see granny who was eating her lunch at the CH when I got there. It was 2.30 and she was eating alone, except for the carer bustling around.

She said she'd missed lunch earlier because she had been asleep, then she said ' well i wasnt actually asleep, i was in a sort of trance i think...' , her notes just say she declined to come to the dining room for lunch.

Anyone else experience of 'trances' as such, are they a progression of the dementia, and if so is it normal for the sufferer to be aware of them afterwards?

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hello, I've just been to see granny who was eating her lunch at the CH when I got there. It was 2.30 and she was eating alone, except for the carer bustling around.

She said she'd missed lunch earlier because she had been asleep, then she said ' well i wasnt actually asleep, i was in a sort of trance i think...' , her notes just say she declined to come to the dining room for lunch.

Anyone else experience of 'trances' as such, are they a progression of the dementia, and if so is it normal for the sufferer to be aware of them afterwards?

Hi at wits end,

I wonder whether it's her word to describe that fog or cloud that seems to come upon some sufferers? It may be followed by a period of clarity where she can better articulate.

Dad definitely has a trance like state, sadly for us I believe it to be decline.

Stephanie, xxx

leslee

Oct 9, 2009
Tyne and Wear
My Mam occassionally stares off into space and starts doing things with her hands. Today she looked like she was swatting a fly. Sometimes she looks like she's knitting. She's in her own little world when she does it though but I'm not sure I'd call it a trance x

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi

Leslee could have been describing my mum. She just sits, her eyes are far away and she doesn't react to anything. I put it down to the dementia, she was never like that before.

R

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thank you for your thoughts. I suppose i am surprised she was aware of it happening. Its the first time that she has said anything so i guess it's another step down sadly.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Talking Point mobile app

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
When my mum experienced a kind o trance it turned out to be a TIA. She had Vascular Dementia.

leslee

Oct 9, 2009
Tyne and Wear
What's a TIA, Izzy?

I ask because Mam's speech is now very slurry on occasions (like she's forgotten to put false teeth in) and I find myself looking to see if her mouth is dropping to check she hasn't had a stroke.

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi Leslee, A TIA is a mini stroke my MiL has them quite often sometimes we notice them other times we don't it's just that we notice that she's not quite 'with it' and she often seems to sleep with her eyes open.

leslee

Oct 9, 2009
Tyne and Wear
Hi Leslee, A TIA is a mini stroke my MiL has them quite often sometimes we notice them other times we don't it's just that we notice that she's not quite 'with it' and she often seems to sleep with her eyes open.

Thanks. I've looked at the symptoms. Mam has many of them because of her AD. It's probably me looking for things that aren't there. I'm sure other reltives would have noticed if anything bad had happened x

angelbee112

Nov 18, 2012
My Gran also suffers from mini strokes - during these times she "phases out", although still aware I'm there but clearly not taking in anything I'd say. She would however, as you mentioned with your Gran, be aware of it having happened afterwards.

It took several GP visits to no avail and eventually a trip to hospital after she fell and had one of these "moments" when the paramedics were accessing her, before it was properly diagnosed. They said it was separate to the dementia and probably caused in part due to angina.

Maybe it would be worth mentioning it to your Granny's GP or carer just in case there is some other underlying reason they can investigate?

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thank you all. I think i will mention it to her named nurse next time i visit to see if it is a regular thing.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Talking Point mobile app