Nightmares and hallucinations

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
I am at present taking galantamine 16mg and mirtazapine 30mg for my Alzheimer's, I was on citalopram 20mg. Since starting the mirtazapine my night terrors have become worse but my hand shaking and tremors have lessened ,so I asummed with less shaking it must suit me better. I wasn't sleeping so that's why the change of anti depressants . Just wondered if the nightmares / night terrors are just a natural progression of the Alzheimer's or not , anyone else experience these ?

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am very sorry. I think you should mention these horrible symptoms to the doctor - and I would make an appointment with the GP to discuss it.

I know some people suffer these symptoms. But I also know some people certainly do not. And I know medication can be readjusted.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Starvin

I’ve had mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s for over eight years and the nightmare terrors are still a constant part of my illness, I would say you should discuss it with your doctor
Barry

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Starvin

Some medications mum was prescribed gave her terrible nightmares or caused hallucinations, some of these medications that caused problems were Anti depressants.
I too think you should inform the Doctor

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
Absolutely get in touch with your GP. Mirtazipine is not the only solution out there, and while it may take a little trial and error, you should find something that suits you better.
The nature of the illness makes it so difficult to know whether symptoms are related to it or the medication, but it certainly can't hurt to try something new, can it?

I wish you the very best of luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B