CHC, Broken leg and hospital

fiffi1

Jan 13, 2011
bournemouth
I haven't posted on here for ages but have continued to look at posts for support and reassurance. Our journey between my last posts and now would take ages to tell !

But now I have a new set of hurdles to overcome and wanted to seek out views and support once again- thank goodness for this site !:)

In March, Mum (who is in a Care Home) was successful in her (my) application for CHC. Just yesterday she had a fall and broke her leg and was admitted to hospital.

This afternoon she had an operation and I have been asked to phone the ward at 7pm to find out how she is, hence my post now as I am anxiously waiting for the next 30mins to pass and thought I would do something practical to focus my mind.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this? There are so many things I am worried about, amongst them......-

She already only has the use of one arm as 2 years ago, she fell and broke her wrist, wouldn't use her arm as she forgot that she could use it and kept it in a position as if it was still in plaster- even though it was healed- and eventually lost the use of the arm and hand altogether........so she wont be able to use a frame to support her weight!

At this stage (and of course I will ask them) I haven't ascertained how this will affect her place in the care home, or how this will affect her CHC funding?

Good grief, just as things were starting to settle.......but then that's what I've got used to I guess after a 12 year journey with Alzheimers........

thanks all, any comments gratefully received ! :)

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear about your mums fall, how awful for you both. I'm hoping she is ok and will make a speedy recovery (as much as is possible).

I don't have anything to offer by way of advice if I'm honest, mum has just, in the last few weeks been granted CHC funding so we are new to it all and I'm yet to understand the ins and outs, if I ever do get to a point where I understand them!!!

Just wanted to reply and bump your post and to send my best wishes to both yourself and your mum.

Sharon

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
I haven't posted on here for ages but have continued to look at posts for support and reassurance. Our journey between my last posts and now would take ages to tell !

But now I have a new set of hurdles to overcome and wanted to seek out views and support once again- thank goodness for this site !:)

In March, Mum (who is in a Care Home) was successful in her (my) application for CHC. Just yesterday she had a fall and broke her leg and was admitted to hospital.

This afternoon she had an operation and I have been asked to phone the ward at 7pm to find out how she is, hence my post now as I am anxiously waiting for the next 30mins to pass and thought I would do something practical to focus my mind.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this? There are so many things I am worried about, amongst them......-

She already only has the use of one arm as 2 years ago, she fell and broke her wrist, wouldn't use her arm as she forgot that she could use it and kept it in a position as if it was still in plaster- even though it was healed- and eventually lost the use of the arm and hand altogether........so she wont be able to use a frame to support her weight!

At this stage (and of course I will ask them) I haven't ascertained how this will affect her place in the care home, or how this will affect her CHC funding?

Good grief, just as things were starting to settle.......but then that's what I've got used to I guess after a 12 year journey with Alzheimers........

thanks all, any comments gratefully received ! :)

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your mums accident .
As far as I am aware there should be no affect on your mums Chc funding unless they do a review.
My advise would be not to ask for one.
Others may have further advise.
Mick

fiffi1

Jan 13, 2011
bournemouth
Thanks for your comments.....only update is that she came through op ok.
fortunately they've moved her to a room nearer the nurses as originally she was quite a way away from any staff and I was really concerned as she is so confused.

Well I say 'room' they are a bit like cells.......it's a trauma unit and I've had no experience of this area of a hospital.....but I would have thought they could have made them a BIT more welcoming? Maybe there's a reason for it....I have no idea !

It takes the support I have to give her to another level as trying to understand how she feels when in so much pain but forgetting that pain and why it's happening to her .....phew !!! Keep you posted :)