Changing forums

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It is time to move from the "Care Giver Support" area into the "Dealing with Loss" section.

Sharon's passing on the 26th was as nice as I had ever hoped for. All her family was here for the whole weekend, including some nieces and nephews and one of our closest friends visited on Saturday. Our wedding anniversary was Saturday and my sisters birthday was Sunday. When I went to bed beside Sharon that Saturday evening I didn't sleep but lay there wondering which of those two celebratory days would, in the future, also mark her passing. As the clock passed midnight I kissed her and told her that we had made it another year and that my sister would be happy to share her birthday - Sharon passed away a little before 3:00 a.m. I stayed with her until 6ish, put the coffee on then went to wake our daughters. They said I could have come earlier as none of them had been sleeping all night either, but, I had enjoyed my last few hours in bed with her.

On the Monday we had a family farewell to Sharon before she went off for cremation. Sharon's life had been about children and family. She had worked in and supervised childcare centres, taught Parenting Skill courses, provided family counselling, and lead courses providing literacy, numeracy, and empathy skills to children and their families. In keeping with her background I chose a very simple unfinished wood casket that the children decorated with markers and the adults inscribed with messages of farewell - it suited her perfectly :)

This past Saturday we held a community memorial and a celebration of Sharon's life at our local hall. I never knew I could cry for 4 hours! But early in the day the tears changed from those of sadness to those of joy, gratitude, and appreciation as I was reminded again and again what an impact Sharon had on people. From childhood friends to present friends, from colleagues to neighbours, from distant relatives to old friends we had lost touch with over the years, the outpouring of support and tribute was wonderful. One of our closest friends did a painting of Sharon, based on a photo I took several years ago, that I will treasure forever as it captures her so well.

Yesterday the last of our family left. I was alone for the first time. It is strange, but I am still exhausted and grateful for the quiet. Today I am making the calls notifying banks, insurance, etc. and cleaning up. Actually, right now I am procrastinating - but coming on TP seems like a good break from those other chores.

The pics are of two of our grandsons decorating Granny's casket, and of the painting our friend did for me.

Attachments

• Sharon goodbye.jpg
    Sharon goodbye.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 507
  • Morning coffee.jpg
    Morning coffee.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 491

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Richard, the painting of Sharon has a wonderful stillness. A lovely gift.
It sounds like a very special farewell to Sharon.

turbo

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
Your friend is very talented, it's a beautiful painting.

My mum died on 26th too. The earliest we could book the funeral was 10th June so I still feel in limbo. Wonderful that you had so many family around you at this sad time. Look after yourself in the coming weeks.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Jess,
Condolences on your mum's passing. The 10th is a long wait, I hope you are able to find comfort meanwhile in remembering the good times you had with her.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Richard, a beautiful painting which shows peace,calm and beauty, may your memories always embrace these thoughts forever.
Chris x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A really lovely picture- so calm. The tribute sounds so special. Take care. x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
A lovely picture of Sharon, and a photo of two sweet little innocent children making their own tribute to their granny , memories to keep for you Richard,

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
A beautiful picture and a lovely way to celebrate Sharon's life.

Goodbye and thank you Richard, I'll miss you on this forum.

Peggy

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I have been away so just catching up with your Thread.
The picture is beautiful and I find the picture of your grandchildren decorating the casket quite touching. Thank you for sharing it with us.

When you feel up to it I do hope you can continue to log into the Support section as well as the Dealing with Loss - in fact any section of the Forum. You have valuable experience and advice to share and I do hope you can continue to post wherever you wish.

My husband died just over a year ago and I understand the emotional turmoil once one is left alone to deal with basic chores and paperwork (which seemed never ending). It is a difficult time so my thoughts go with you.

Best wishes