Cannabis.

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
My sister has sent me an article that claims that cannabis can help restore function and prevent dementia from progressing. I am anti cannabis personally, I hate it, but I was wondering whether anyone has tried it and had any success. As much as I don't like it, I would do anything to help my Mam.

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
I haven't seen or heard any evidence that cannabis could aid dementia sufferers.
A friend of mine is prescribed a form of the drug for her Multiple Sclerosis but has had limited success with it so far.

As far as I am aware doctors are reluctant to prescribe cannabis & obtaining it elsewhere is of course still illega. You could try showing the article to your mam's medical advisers & see how they respond.

Mo
xl

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Thanks Mo, I hadn't heard of it being used for Denentia. I was aware of it being used for MS, arthritis and cancer in the USA but unaware of it being used at all in Britain. I will look into it further and mention it to her G.P next time we visit. Many thanks. :)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Here's an article which gives a bit more information. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17223873

This in particular makes the point of how cannabis affects memory in a bad way:

Prof Heather Ashton, from the University of Newcastle, said that memory problems were an established feature of cannabis use, and understanding the mechanism behind them was "interesting".

She said: "When someone is taking cannabis, in some cases you find that they cannot even remember starting a sentence by the time they reach the end."

There is reference to research being done but certainly no suggestion that cannabis has a positive effect on memory, rather the opposite.

Sounds like that article is an old pothead's wishful thinking. :D

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
Given a choice, Hmm...coconut oil or cannabis....I'll go with the sacred 'erb:D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's funny you should mention this as there was an article in my paper today about medical marijuana. Apparently, it is possible to grow a type which has very hardly any THC (which is the psychoactive part) but high levels of CBD which seems to be the part of the plant that helps with pain and seizures. This stuff apparently has a slightly stimulating effect (like espresso) but helps with pain etc. So it's possible that something like that might help with dementia. However, you absolutely do not know what you are buying when you buy from a street dealer and this is something I do feel should not be experimented with (especially as the TNC levels in street marijuana have been rising over the years.)

Here's a link to the article if you want to read it

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/pot-trade-blossoms-in-heartland-689262/

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Thanks for the posts. Much appreciated. We have talked about it as a family and ruled it out. Far too risky we think, it would be different if it was recommended by her G.P but to give street drugs to a 70 year old woman without knowing what we are doing is far too dangerous.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
From what I've been reading 'Sativex' is the drug, with THC removed (the nice bit:) )available as an oral spray, only by some Health Authorities and under strict guidelines.
I don't think any GP can prescribe it.

Multiple Sclerosis seems to be the only condition considered.

I don't think it could possibly be helpful in a person who suffers from Dementia.

Skunk on the streets is much more potent than it was,
it is definitely not to be recommended with any mental health issues and could lead to you getting your collar felt for possession, not to mention prosecuted for abuse for giving illegal drugs to a vulnerable adult.

Now if the carer had a spliff on prescription....followed by a Bounty Bar...

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
John and Gwen you make me smile. I had visions of all the residents in mums NH sat in the lounge doing 3 puffs and pass, a carer would have to count mind! Mind you there are a couple including my m who could do with being stoned and 'chilled out!'.

Not taking any of the seriousness away from the post, I'm sorry I don't mean to.

X x

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
You made me laugh out loud with your hit on the head with a coconut comment....thanks for that! :)

zeeeb

My mum has alzheimers and parkinsons. She started talking about cannabis to her dr and he said it was illegal in Australia.

So I got her some, made her some cookies, and obviously I didn't put enough in, because they had no effect. If it was going to help her, i'd be ok to break the law and source it and medicate her with it. I don't know that it would have much real effect except to relax and unwind the person a bit. But, if that is of help, i say go for it. At this kind of age, really, it's not like they are out on the streets begging for money to get a hit. They aren't likely to go committing crimes to fund their cannabis habit. If it helps, that's all that matters, and the real cost of cannabis is likely to be alot less than the real costs of some of the other medications they are put on.