Mums check up

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oh my, when an assessment for level of care was done, they were chatting to Dad and asked if he was born in Sydney. He replied, "Yes, of course," I was madly shaking my head behind him and whispered he was born in Perth.

I think any simple chat can often elicit enough information about their state, and it's much more pleasant. Afterwards we can give them the right info and they can compare.

Perhaps it's carers and sufferers who should radically revise these tests.

Hope you're feeling much happier today, MM, xxx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I confess in the early days on the journey to the appointment, mum and I would try and remember some of the questions, such as what day it was, how many local towns she could remember, and I would try and give her clues to help her remember, such as ' where we go to the library, and where A lives'. It was to try and make a game of it and have a bit of a laugh and try and take the stress from her, because she hated going and being asked questions that she couldn't answer. Problem was she'd forgotten them all anyway by the time we arrived.

I also realised it was because I badly wanted here to remember them and do well, because I was just frightened of her being pronounced 'worse' :( Later on I didn't even remind her that she was going to be asked the questions as it was less stressful all round.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
When mum has had to go to hospital for non dementia related issues, she has had problems in remembering what children she has. Once she told the nurse she had 2, none , 1 and it was a male. She actually has one daughter, me, one son in law and one grandson. Unfortunately like others mentioned mum has significant hallucinations
Yet some days she remembers so much.

MinnieMouse

Jun 24, 2012
North West
Thank you everyone :) feeling a lot happier and I am just going to get on with life as best as we can now, until the next appointment in 6 months and then deal with what ever happens next then xxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey