Raising Awareness

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Dear Friends (and people who don’t know me, if you’re reading this)

When my husband Philip died in February, I nominated Alzheimer’s Research UK as the charity which should be considered instead of flowers. I know there are lots of worthy causes, this forum being one of them, but this seemed the most appropriate. We all know that for current and future sufferers of any form of dementia, scientific research is the only hope.

About two weeks after the funeral, one of Philip’s nieces contacted me and said she and her sister were going to take part in this charity’s Big Walk event near Cambridge in June, did I want to join them (9 miles – not exactly Iron Man material, but a big enough challenge for us!). Yes, I signed up, and I bravely ticked the box that I’d be willing to help with publicity surrounding this event (not having a clue as to what this might entail).

Since then, I have been contacted by their Media and Communications Manager who is looking for participants who are willing to give interviews to the local media to publicise the event. I’ve never done anything like this and my normal reaction would have been: no way, that’s not me. But then I thought of Norms and his herculean efforts to raise awareness, which can only be achieved with the use of media, and I thought of him and all the people who are at a stage where they could still benefit from a break-through in research, with the result that I felt it my duty to override my silly fears and agree to participate in this as well. I will keep you posted on the progress.

To remind me of how exactly this illness progressed and affected me in all its stages, I re-read some of my old posts and your replies, and I was blown away all over again by how much support, practical help and just genuine expression of feelings, thoughts and friendship I received through this forum. It was my lifeline at the time. I will do my best to mention this as well, as I know there are lots of carers out there who need that support but don’t even realise that they are carers, yet.

I see new joiners who sound as desperate as I did 3 years ago. I have confirmation that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it involves some difficult individual decisions in the meantime.

Best wishes to all of you - Kathy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's lovely to see you post here Kathy. Well done for your efforts. You should be very proud of yourself. I agree with you about how important research into this area is. I wish you lots of luck. xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Kathy,

It is really nice to hear what you are up to these days and I am delighted that you have risen to this challenge:) Wouldn't it be marvellous to find a cure:) Meanwhile carers are in desperate need of help and respite.

Good luck with the 9 mile walk Kathy.

Love

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi again
Thanks for your replies. It’s still nice to re-visit every now and again and to know I still have friends here who remember me.

I seem to be having a phase of volunteering (or perhaps there is a vibe out there which tells people I’m ready?). A couple of months ago I received an invitation (randomly chosen for my age group from my GP surgery’s register) to take part in a research study carried out by the Cambridge Centre for Ageing and Neuroscience. The project studies the development of the brain and cognitive abilities throughout all age groups. It sounded really interesting and, again, very relevant to the subject close to my heart, so I signed up. After about a month had elapsed, I forgot all about it, but today I received an e-mail from them and arranged a date for the first interview. I’ll keep you posted on this one as well.

Best wishes and lots of love to all of you - Kathy

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Well, here's the update

Yesterday, a young journalist came to my house, bringing along a photographer. She asked me lots of questions and wrote down the answers in shorthand (I was surprised that this still existed!!)

Today I was shocked to see the article: 2/3 of it were taken up by a totally irrelevant picture of me saying "cheese" in the garden, and hardly anything of what we talked about was mentioned.

I did manage to get this forum mentioned (which is also close to my heart), and Norms, who was my inspiration in the first place to take part in an awareness-raising media exercise. And it did get my neighbour excited about living next door to someone "famous" :rolleyes: It's people like her who keep local papers going, out of sheer terror that they might miss something about someone they know. At long last, she knows my age! :eek:

Anyway, it's an experience, and we all know that, with the media, it all depends on how much else they have to fill the space with on that particular day. I will do my best on Sunday on the walk. This is the first time I've been grateful for the fact that this area is so very flat. The weather forecast is good, and we've been reassured that if we're not back by 5pm, we'll get swept up... Thanks to those of you who've supported the cause and, no doubt, I'll have some pics after Sunday.

We all live in hope that research will come up with an answer soon.

Love to you all - Kathy

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Kathy,
I have only just caught up with your thread and am so impressed with what you are doing.
Best wishes,
Jancis

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
I did it! All 9 miles of it. I know it's not a marathon, but it's all relative, and I'm aching enough to know that I did it. As my French friend put it: "you did it with your heart." I now know that she was right, as my mind and my feet would have given up after 7 miles at the latest :eek:. I guess I'm proud of what I've done for a very worthy cause. The only one to give dementia sufferers and carers hope. I thank Philip's nieces (and great-niece) and all the other participants for helping to raise hope. Funds were raised, and the local newspaper and community radio covered the event, which can only be good for the future. Funds for research + public awareness = hope
Kathy