new to here

reenie

Jan 6, 2013
bristol
Hi my mum was diagnosed with early onset the age of 53 after lots of problems doctor visits etc looking back she has showed signs for years, she had her own flat that ahe had carers come in three times a day but then it became clear she couldnt stay there she wandered off and had quite a long stay in hospital before attempting a residential home which she could not stay in due to hitting out then had another stay in hospital before she went to a nursing home, the change in the past few months has been scary she cant talk and cant walk she has just recovered from pheumonia which i didnt think she would see through she wont eat or drink now i dont know how long she will last like this for her sake i hope not too long, i cant stand watching her go through this i thonk its at the stage they will just make her comfortable, she is only 56 now bless her. sorry to ramble i dont speak to anyone and know nobody who has been in a similar situation. has anyone ? thanks reenie

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Reenie
I am so sorry your Mum has early onset alzheimers. Such a cruel disease. I am not in your situation. My Mum was diagnosed at 82 although I think it was becoming problem a couple of years before that. I just wanted to say that I have found this forum incredibly helpful so keep posting. It helps to off load to people who understand.
I am sure others will come along who are in a similar situation as yours.
Dee

reenie

Jan 6, 2013
bristol
aww thank you for your reply iam so sorry about your mum its such a cruel disease whatever age you are, people around me try to understand but i dont think you can unless you are going through it, i have at 15 year old bless her but has made the decision not to see mum like this i really hope she is making the right decision. thanks again for you reply
take care of yourself
reenie

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Reenie and welcome to talking point

I think you will find everyone here will relate to what you are going through and I hope you find the help and support that you need. If your mum is recovering from pneumonia, you might find that her condition improves a bit as it can take weeks for a dementia sufferer to recover fully from an infection. Please make sure that in all of this that you look after yourself and your family too. You know your mum is being cared for and is safe so take some time out occasionally to spend time together with your daughter.

If you have any questions then just give us a shout.

Fiona

reenie

Jan 6, 2013
bristol
Hi fiona thank you for your reply, yeah her chest is much better but its her swallowing thats now the pproblem she wont even try to eat, doc has said she will get the infection back soon and will be too weak to see it through. I do spend as much time as possible with my daughter shes deeply hurt bless her and she also has some quite serious problems going on aswell : ( bit we're get there together
thanks
reenie

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi my mum was diagnosed with early onset the age of 53 after lots of problems doctor visits etc looking back she has showed signs for years, she had her own flat that ahe had carers come in three times a day but then it became clear she couldnt stay there she wandered off and had quite a long stay in hospital before attempting a residential home which she could not stay in due to hitting out then had another stay in hospital before she went to a nursing home, the change in the past few months has been scary she cant talk and cant walk she has just recovered from pheumonia which i didnt think she would see through she wont eat or drink now i dont know how long she will last like this for her sake i hope not too long, i cant stand watching her go through this i thonk its at the stage they will just make her comfortable, she is only 56 now bless her. sorry to ramble i dont speak to anyone and know nobody who has been in a similar situation. has anyone ? thanks reenie

Hi Reenie,

Welcome, I think you will find several others here in similar situations, unfortunately this is not as uncommon as most of us believed before we were affected. My wife was diagnosed at 48, she is now 57 and can no longer walk or talk and is having little interest in food or drink. If the home can keep her comfortable and pain free, sometimes that is the best, and all, that we can hope for.

Best wishes,

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Know exactly how you feel and you are not on your own, I'm half way down your mothers road and feel for you !

matts

Jun 17, 2013
Trying 2 cope and understand 2

Iv Read lots of stories i understand how hard it is for loved ones to witness the ilness for some its to distressing for others denial is Easier to cope with than the Reality. Im 33 n have been dignosed and have been met by so many diffrent Reactions. I respect n understand your daughters decision because I would do the Same if i have the Choice so my Children will have good memories left and didnt See the severity of ilness in the later stages. I will Want to do the same with my children so that there last memories will be of Me Not the Ilness Lots of luv n thought 4 u All take Care

matts

Jun 17, 2013
Trying 2 cope and understand 2

Iv Read lots of stories i understand how hard it is for loved ones to witness the ilness for some its to distressing for others denial is Easier to cope with than the Reality. Im 33 n have been dignosed and have been met by so many diffrent Reactions. I respect n understand your daughters decision because I would do the Same if i have the Choice so my Children will have good memories left and didnt See the severity of ilness in the later stages. I will Want to do the same with my children so that there last memories will be of Me Not the Ilness Lots of luv n thought 4 u All take Care

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

Missed your thread earlier, I'm just wondering how things have been going? Hope you have a chance to pop back here and give us an update and connect with a group of friends who instantly understand all you've been going through.

Stephanie, xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey