rise in obesity poses dementia TIME BOMB

bmw777

Feb 10, 2013
essex
Just been reading latest news from bbc website , didnt know how to do a link ,
i was amazed the link between being over weight and dementia ..
I myself am just in the over weight catagory as defined by the BMI index with BMI of 27 . not emensly overweight ,weighing 13 stone at 5ft 9 , but this apparently will increase my risk of dementia by 71 % .. so time get serious about having a healthy diet

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Whatever next, farting can lead to blindness...
I mean if we believe everything they come up with we wouldn't be eating or drinking anything, I know any potential link to Dementia would be beneficial (if we know about it we can avoid it), but come on when all the tests have been carried out and they can say 99.9% without a doubt there is a link then i'll listen. I am carrying a few extra pounds from comfort eating, i'm not suddenly going to over do the exercising on the likelihood that there 'may' be a link.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Whatever next, farting can lead to blindness...
I mean if we believe everything they come up with we wouldn't be eating or drinking anything, I know any potential link to Dementia would be beneficial (if we know about it we can avoid it), but come on when all the tests have been carried out and they can say 99.9% without a doubt there is a link then i'll listen. I am carrying a few extra pounds from comfort eating, i'm not suddenly going to over do the exercising on the likelihood that there 'may' be a link.

That's up to you. But as with many of these diseases, obesity is just a risk factor. Being obese does not mean you will get dementia, just as being thin means you will avoid it.

This said, you can improve your odds. If you are obese then you are weighting the dice against yourself - by being a healthy weight you are weighting them in your favour.

It is just like smoking - it will not inevitably give you lung cancer...but it make sit much more likely than it would otherwise be.

You will always get anecdotal stories of people who smoked eighty a day for their whole lives and die in a traffic accident aged ninety, whilst someone who never smoked gets lung cancer in their thirties. These are then construed as "evidence" that the medics are wrong. But in actuality it's like crossing a busy road blindfolded; someone will always make it safely to the other side, but it's a self-evidently risky thing to do.

The same is true of being obese or smoking. And these risks compound; each factor you add on makes a bad outcome more likely. For example, be obese and a smoker and inactive and you dramatically shorten your odds. Even more so, because those risk factors can themselves cause other risks, like high blood pressure or diabetes.

It is certain that inheritance plays a large role; some people have a high resistance to developing high blood pressure, whilst others can lead a very healthy lifestyle and still get it.

The bottom line is, there are factors in your control, and others out of it. It makes sense to tackle the ones within your control, because then you're not compounding risk factors you can do nothing about (like a family history of a disease)

If nothing else, it is just blindingly obvious that being obese is simply unhealthy - it's not a good way to be, full stop. How can constantly carrying around tens of pounds of excess fat be otherwise?

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Makes a lot of sense to me, being overweight cause so many problems that could lead to vascular dementia. I recently have been having biopsies for suspected breast cancer and asked my clinician could it be due to me piling on the pounds to which she said they have been seeing an increase in breast cancers in larger ladies. She went on to tell me that there is a low incidence of breast cancer in Japan but once people from Japan come to the western world the incidence rises.

I just think we all need to look after ourselves better, me included !!!!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Being overweight is not necessarily down to stuffing your face with food, or eating the wrong food. I eat a high fibre diet as does mum, I don't eat meat and always have 3- 5portions of veg on my plate. I have been eating more recently due to exam stress and the odd problem with mum, i'm not making excuses but as I said everything is not down to eating food. Oh and BTW i'm not obese, i'm a couple of pounds over my ideal weight, which I will lose (as I normally do) after the exams are over and I exercise is started again.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Everytime I read something in the paper that says it can prevent AD, I think of my mother. Aways very slim, ate sparingly, drank coffee and tea, was always doing crosswords and walked miles everywhere. She was interested in everything around and always had a book on the go. She then developed AD.

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Look there are thousands and thousands of things people can die of. My Mum has never been overweight but she got AD. I knew someone of 34 who never smoked who got lung cancer, just like someone whose teetotal getting liver cancer. Life is a game of roulette. Take me, breast scan every two years, cervical smear every three, now bang on my 60th birthday I get a letter in the post to do 3 poo samples for bowel cancer. If anyone gets anything its probably caused through all the angst of waiting for all these b***dy test results coming through the post! You can run 10 miles a day, eat your five a day, never eat red meat, never drink or smoke but you'll probably get something wrong with you anyway, being healthy doesn't necessarily mean you won't get something wrong with you, just as being a slob doesn't mean you'll get cancer or AD. Believe me, being an ex nurse I've heard hundreds of stories re the healthy person getting all sorts of nasties. Sadly one in three people will get cancer at some time in their life. With all these professionals putting the wind up everyone, we'll all die of anxiety caused by worrying about what we will or will not get and be too wrapped up in doing the right thing rather than enjoying life for the time we're here - within the constraints of being a carer of course!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Exactly my point, life is a lottery.
All one can do is use commonsense to live as healthy a life as is reasonable but not to make life a miserable existance. It is called life after all!

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Well said SueShell. If we believe everything we read as has already been said we wouldn't eat or drink anything. I also rarely if ever apply sun tan cream to myself (children have factor 50)I know the risks but it was rarely put on me as a child so it's not something I do now. I suppose I feel the damage has been done.

We are all individuals and all know what we are doing to our bodies whether we smoke, drink, are over weight or like me don't do sun cream. I don't read research I'm afraid.

Sharon

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
That sounds more like it, I love champers just not sure I could drink that often every week?

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
My friend used to have a dog whose farts would make you go blind ....

That's my dog!!
I could give a long list of people who, according to these medical reports, should have died of specific things, but haven't. I take all these things with a pinch of salt. I don't have odd examples of people who have defied medical science, I have a long list of examples. My Dad was always a healthy weight & has AD. My MIL has always been obese yet does not suffer with dementia (& she's 85). I also knew someone who always ate healthily, exercised regularly & dropped dead of heart failure at 32. The thing is so many different types of people suffer with these different illnesses, there is no common ground because there will always be exceptions, so the answer is they don't know the answer. If they did they'd be God.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Being overweight is not necessarily down to stuffing your face with food, or eating the wrong food. I eat a high fibre diet as does mum, I don't eat meat and always have 3- 5portions of veg on my plate. I have been eating more recently due to exam stress and the odd problem with mum, i'm not making excuses but as I said everything is not down to eating food. Oh and BTW i'm not obese, i'm a couple of pounds over my ideal weight, which I will lose (as I normally do) after the exams are over and I exercise is started again.

Weight gain is almost invariably down to one thing: more calories in than going out. If you eat more calories than your body burns, it will store them as fat. This is an evolutionary survival mechanism that dates from when food supply was both scarce and unreliable. Unfortunately, it tends to backfire when food is in super-abundance and requires almost no effort to obtain. Humans in the wild would not be fat, because they would need to expend huge amounts of calories to obtain the few available as food. Occasionally, they would come across an abundance - like a fruit tree or honey - which got stored as fat.

As you say, your weight gain is due to a change in the balance; you're eating the same, but doing less. More calories in than out.

Weight gain for other reasons is incredibly rare.

But a few pounds are of little concern anyway. It becomes a problem when the few pounds keep on getting added. That's how most people become obese, they let it slide. Until suddenly a few pounds has turned into a few stone.