traveling

Mufti

May 11, 2012
Kent
Hi haven't posted for a while _ middle of gp appointments, eye appointments, crisis, good days, bad days and horrific days - very. You understand?! Just took bull. By horns and booked a long weekend in Belfast to see my uncle and friends - haven't been for 2 years now.any advice for getting through Gatwick??? I have got lift to airport and car at other end and good friends waiting. It's just Gatwick. Help!!!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You can arrange assistance with luggage and things before you go, would your partner use a wheelchair which can be pre arranged as well, it might be easier to push them to the plane,

sorry if this isn't what you mean it is just a thought ,

Good luck and best wishes, Jeany

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You can also be transported by motorised buggy with advanced notification. There can be a lot of walking at Gatwick.

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
I have travelled with my mother who needed wheelchair assistance through Stansted and I suspect similar arrangements can be made at Gatwick. Wheelchair assistance or disabled assistance is arranged through the airline or tour operator with whom you are travelling.

Just as a quick thought I googled London Gatwick Assistance

http://www.gatwick-airport-guide.co.uk/disabled-facilities.html

this should give you an idea and I hope you find it helpful.

Wishing you pleasant and happy travels.

Mufti

May 11, 2012
Kent
thanks

Thanks everybody! Knew you'd be out there for me as always. Luckily my partner is still mobile - my worry is the lengthy security check so the web link was helpful. If I don't do it now I'll never know if we can or not so I'll "feel the fear and do it anyway"! When do you think would be the best time to tell him as are going? Few days before, night before, or just on the day? Sorry, I sound like a real worry guts! X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We're going to Italy from Gatwick at the end of May. I have had very helpful discussions regarding assistance since my first contact through the links above. Bill is mobile but I now get assistance at airports because the distances to walk are so great and with assistance you get taken through security. We're being met at Gatwick north terminal (from Edinburgh flight) and taken to hotel at South terminal. The next morning we are being picked up at hotel and taken to south terminal check in. I'm presuming we will be getting the motorised buggy Sylvia mentioned (I hope so!).

As I said the people who contacted me following the initial contact through e website could not have been more helpful. I now have an email which is confining all of our arrangements. Good luck!x

Mufti

May 11, 2012
Kent
thanks

Thanks Izzy hope your trip is great -enjoy. Will let you know how we get on later! X