Gardening

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Today I ventured out into the garden and tottered round to the greenhouse.

I really miss my Dad when I am in the greenhouse cos he bought it for me and he knew what joy I would have in it. He and all my Grandparents were marvellous gardeners.

I tried to work out how to remember which pots I'd sown and think I got everything right! Well if I didnt I will get a few surprises.

Today I sowed the runner beans 2 varieties Enorma and Scarlet emperor
Some beetroot too to get it going as the ground is so wet and claggy and last year I couldnt remember where I had sown stuff so decided to grow it on in the greenhouse so I have an actual plant to work with!

I hurt my shoulder yesterday so I decided against weeding for a couple of days in the hope it will heal up quickly, (last time I had torn the rotor cuff, and I didnt even know I had one!!)

Perhaps I should get Garnuft down for a few days she is going great guns with her veg!

I sowed some flower seeds but I cant remember what they are:eek:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You've actually got something growing Sarah, I just have the soil ready.

Nothing planted yet. I looked at my gardening jotter and I have previously had my new potatoes in by March but there was snow in March so that's why everything is late.

I envy you your greenhouse, I love sitting in them when it rains.

Hope your shoulder is feeling better, rotor cuff? Have I got one of them? I thought you'd broken your lawnmower. :D

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I love gardening as its so relaxing, although I can not grow anything from seeds, I seem to kill them off. When I was working we had a large allotment and IO managed to grow quite a lot of plants from seeds, but not anymore.

My daughter has a large greenhouse which I work in when I am allowed to, but she is very protective of it, its her own private area( and one of her cats) which seem to love lying there in the sun.

Our garden is small and a bit spartan since the flood last year but I think things are looking as if the are going to start growing again. It was certainly well manured in the flood, so it should all be good in the end.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I'm glad you enjoy gardening Ken I find it so relaxing too

and if I am really angry about something I weed furiously:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and take out all my agression on the weeds and at the end I feel better and the garden looks better:)

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Sarah

You sound just like my daughter, as she disappears into the garden with a spade or fork when she is wound up, and soon feels better after taking it out on the weeds etc.
Its amazing how it removes stress?

Ken

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I love gardening

We have just moved to a bungalow with a very small garden.I don't mind too much because there is a nature reserve the other side of our garden wall so it's quite leafy and very serene area.However the garden is so ugly.Its all hard stuff- concrete and bricks and shingle. Yuk! I'm going to start taking up the bricks next week and advertise them to be recycled.I've decided what to with the garden-lots of bright flowers and an archway and a lawn.Flowers that I know Pete loves.I hope he can find it in himself to help me.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I used to enjoy it when the first seeds popped up, as it gives a feeling the you are succeeding in something wonderful.

Ken

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Its amazing how the garden is changing in such a short space of time now that the sun has come out

I seem to have done something to my legs though, I can hardly walk.

I think i may have walked too fast trying to keep up with JB yesterday in London when he went for his research scans.

I managed to do some weeding though but found it very difficult to get up as my lower legs are so painful,

My beetroot and runner beans have germinated in the green house and lots of lovely seelings are popping up

May do some pricking out tomorrow :)

think I might try a hot bath for my legs before I go to bed;)

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I hope you are feeling better today, it's so easy to overdo things when the sun comes out. Well done with your seedlings. I am hopeless with seed sowing, never seem to get the watering right, and so now buy bedding plants. Still pulling ivy up in our garden though!

Have a restful day x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Off to memory cafe in a bit so wont be tempted to be out in the garden all day
and I am cooking tea tonight so will pace myself

I have now found an incentive to lose weight - the garden

I have got blisters on my right hand from weeding:eek::eek:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have got blisters on my right hand from weeding:eek::eek:

You obviously made an impact Sarah.

It's lovely to be out have managed some seeds in my friends garden and it's exciting to see what develops.

Do pace yourself, I overdid it I think so am paying for it -never mind sun is shining. Enjoy the memory cafe.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I cooked tea tonight 3 unexpected visitors too!

the good news was that while I was doing it someone collected up all the weeds and took them to the bonfire for me.

I have just got a nice new shiny wheelbarrow!

and the start of a suntan!!!

Attachments

• P1170630 (800x600).jpg
    P1170630 (800x600).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 387
  • P1170627 (768x1024).jpg
    P1170627 (768x1024).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 376

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Despite it being cold and windy I have been in the garden for a bit today

took 2 painkillers for my knee so I could walk and put in some pansies

Then I pricked out some seedlings in the greenhouse - very satisfying and warmer too!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Well done Sarah I wish I had some energy to do ours, I have the man coming to cut the grass on Monday (weather permitting ) he is going to try and sort the rest out I just don't have the time or the energy,

The photos are beautiful :)

Jeany xxx

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
That's why I want a greenhouse Sarah, for the cold, windy days.

Glad your seedlings are coming on.

My peas have germinated and just started to emerge but no sign of the taties yet :eek:
mind you our Sall has marched all over them until I put up the little fence.

Isn't it a lovely time of year? X