Another Question about LPA

one_of_4

Apr 14, 2013
South Coast
Hello, I would like some guidance on the legal side of LPA. I have been reading the posts on this forum and they are very helpful, but everyones case is almost unique....so therefore hence the reason for this post.
The situation is this:
My mother remarried some 30 years ago to who is now my step-father (91). He was a practicing J Witness and my mother joined in and they lived in Cornwall. 2 years ago, their health, not what it was, my brothers and I decided that they should move closer to us here in Central Southern England. They don't have much as they lived in a residential Park home and did not get a great deal for it - so they are now in council rented. He is the subject of the LPA as he was diagnosed with Dementia when he was in Cornwall (2years ago). When he couldn't get to his meetings with the J Witness, he assumed that they would rally round and pick him up, as he had given up driving - but they didn't (not sure why) so his association with them dropped. The reason I'm explaining this is, I have heard that one of the questions that is asked to see if a person is 'of mental capacity', is who is the Prime Minister?. Well if you spend most of your life practicing a belief which does not involve voting - you may well not know who the Prime Minister is and over time, mentally block out any information regarding the subject automatically. I have donwloaded the forms from the OPG for both the finance and health sections and am now starting the process of filling them in. At the moment, he is cared for by my mother (83) and my brothers ex-wife who is a registered care worker. He does'nt get out much now, as his knees aren't as strong as they were (he was a motor racing mechanic, so spent alot of time on his knees)so there is no-one who he could call a friend of at least 2 years standing - only family visit which is myself and 2 other of my mothers 4 sons. We have asked him questions as to who he wants to look after him if anything happened to my mother and he is quite sure of his answer - me. He knows the people who visit, so I'm thinking he is not as bad as some would think...It seems a very slow on-set.

My questions are
- who do I contact first? Is it
......the doctor to access his current mental state? I'm assuming the doctors know what they're 'looking for...' or are there doctors who specialize in these cases... What is the criteria to access his mental state? I can't seem to get a definitive answer from anywhere...
......Or just a solictor to do the legal bit?
......Or just him, his attorneys and witness? In the case that he has no friends outside family, the witness could be the doctor...?

Of course, in this busy world, trying to get 'x' people in a room at a certain time, on a certain day, can cause problems on its own....

- One assumes that filling in the pdf forms can be done in his presence and all he will need to do is sign 'on the bottom line'.
I'm sorry if this seems trivial but most people I guess only go through this, a couple of times within their lifetime so are not really 'geared up for it..' as it were and so I am very grateful for any input here....thanks.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You'll have seen in the guidance that you don't need a doctor or a solicitor. If you feel his doctor will be helpful, try him. If there really is no-one who has known him for two years then that could be a problem if the doctor is unwilling.

There is no set list of questions to be asked. Your step-dad certainly doesn't need to know who the PM is - this has always been one of many dubious question used in assessments. The guidance you can get form the Office of the Public Guardian does give some help about mental capacity.

I have some grounds for believing that some solicitors, for whatever reason, try to complicate the process and they may be best avoided.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you don't have any friends who could act as a certificate provider then either the doctor or the solicitor could be that. You don't need both. Most people who get a solicitor to draw up the forms get the solicitor to act as the certificate provider while people who go the DIY route tend to use their GP.

As to the questions: I don't think you need to get bogged down with "who is the Prime Minister" type questions (which actually I think is from the MMSE and not so much used for this purpose). The sort of thing that is normally asked is to allow whoever to ensure that you step-father (at the time) understands that he is appointing someone to manage his affairs when he is unable to.

Normally, yes, the certificate provider (let's say a doctor) will act as the witness as well, and then the attorney's sign their part subsequently. If you follow the instructions that come with the form, you should be fine. You can also call the OPG help-line if you need clarification.

One thing does concern me - you will have to be very careful with the welfare LPA if you want to continue to respect your step-father's beliefs with regard to medical care. I'm not sure if that is an issue now, but you do need to think about it.

one_of_4

Apr 14, 2013
South Coast
I thank you both jenniferpa and stanleypj.. this is indeed engouraging news. It was indicated that he did not have mental capacity from some quarters, which I didn't believe...I shall keep you posted. :)

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
You don't make it clear (although my brain is mush) if you are talking about health and welfare or financial LPA?
There are no set questions when someone applies for either LPA.

one_of_4

Apr 14, 2013
South Coast
I've been looking in the zip file package, from the OPG site and the page you describe in the link, sue38, is similar in pdf file 'LPA112_web_0413.pdf' but page 31 of 43, so the info is out there - maybe a slight overload of info, but I'm getting the picture now, thanks.