Issues having an operation when someone has alzheimers

Richierich

Mar 6, 2013
My friend's mum has fairly advanced Alzheimers (she is in her late 70's) and she had a hip replacement today. Apparently she is crying and wailing in pain... is this expected because she doesn't understand why she is in pain? Does anyone have any information on how patients with Alzheimers tend to react?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Richierich

I take it the lady had a general anaesthetic? This can have pretty profound effects on someone with dementia and takes longer than normal to leave their system. The dementia can appear as though there has been a big deterioration but over time some capacity can be regained, if not all. Apart from the effect of the anaesthetic, you also have to contend with the increased confusion of being in hospital surrounded by strangers.

Your friend can help by spending as much time at the hospital as possible. Not all staff will remember about the dementia and even if they do they don't always have the time to give the person the level of attention that they need. Being there also stops other accidents happening such as them forgetting to ask for help in walking etc. even after major surgery you will be amazed at how quickly they can forget what is happening. Another benefit of being at the hospital as much as you can be is that you can be around when the likes of the physiotherapists are around because the dementia person,might have problems following instructions, the physiotherapists don't have the time to give the extra help and very often the physiotherapy is stopped because they say the person is unable to cooperate.

I hope your friend has plenty of leave left! LOL

Fiona

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
Hip Replacement

When my mum was in hospital I stayed there most of the day. ( I know not everyone can do this) Making sure she eat which helped with recovery. I also took her to the toliet which is important so there was no chance of her not getting help when she needed it. Orthopedic wards are not able to cope with alzheimers in my experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey