I could do a runner right now !

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
Hubby and I decided a few weeks ago that a spot of decorating was on the cards. Hall, son's bedroom and lounge now fully decorated and lovely wooden flooring put down. I got up at 6 as usual this morning, and all was quiet in the house - I could hear a drip, drip, drip. Managed to track it to the ceiling in the hall, damp patch creeping down the newly papered wall.......Hubby despatched to the loft - leaking hot water tank :(. Plumber has advised we need a new tank etc:(.

Fast forward to tonight around 7pm - Son cooking himself a tasty bite in the kitchen, while I am hanging new lounge curtains - smoke alarm goes nuts and all hell breaks loose - grill compartment on fire, major flames dial 999, 6 hunky fireman in attendance :D:D:D and my poor wee Dad phones in the middle of it all and is told by panic stricken daughter that our house is on fire.

Can you imagine what it was like to try to reassure Dad all was well, while he could hear the 2nd fire engine sirens approaching ???

I feel as if I am observing someone else's life today, as none of this has actually sunk in. I am shattered, and have also worked a 9 and a half hour shift. Now I have to search for the house insurance documents, which are somewhere in my neglected filing system (4 drawers - all bulging) that I never have the time to organise.

Have had another call from Dad wondering if he should come round to help (bless him) and offering to pay for all the damage (think he has forgotten bout house insurance, aww)

BUT the good thing is, my new curtains are now up and are fab :)

Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

M xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Well Minnie, if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all! :)

I don't blame you for wanting to run and I can quite understand how you feel it's all happened to someone else - I think that's shock. On the bright side, you're not sooooooo detached that you didn't notice the 6 hunky firemen.;)

Just thinking

May 7, 2008
North west
It never rains but it pours. Glad the curtains look good though - smile and be proud of yourself. Love 'n hugs to you and your lovely Dad, aw. ;)

holdengrl7

Mar 5, 2013
bless him :)

Things can only get better from here, i suppose. What a wonderful father, too :)

Chin up! Glad the curtains look good!! :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Aw Minniemouse what a time you've had, I hope you soon get your house back to how you want it,
the bit about your lovely dad brought tears to my eyes,

hugs from Jeany xx

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
OMG! I thought I had a bad day yesterday!! :eek:

Some days it feels like everything is against you!

Hope today was an improvement! Xxx

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
Thanks everyone ! can report curtains are still lovely :D and no floods or fires today so far !! keeping everything crossed for the rest of the night.

Lovely wee Dad remembered about house insurance this morning and phoned me to check we had some ! aaawww bless him.:)

M xx

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
just a wee update on out continuing bad luck saga. Engineer condemned cooker on 7th March, told we would hear within two days re replacement, 5 days later, numerous phonecalls later - all me phoning them - replacement cooker picked and paid for, delivery tomorrow, thank goodness. (had to put £70 towards it :()

Thursday 7th, my aunty, Dad's younger sister, fell at home and broke her hip. Finally went through surgery today and all seems well.

Plumber didn't turn up with new hot water thingy for loft, and still haven't heard from him :mad: we haven't had hot water since Monday 4th - although we can use shower and heating thank goodness.

Saturday 9th, dishwasher has an inch of water lying in the bottom of it (what now ???)
Confession from daughter, she may have switched it of mid-cycle by mistake. Saved from making a callout I would have been charged for !

Monday 11th, OH's car exhaust falls off and replacement will cost bout £150 and can't be sorted til Thurs 14th.

today - received word our caravan holiday home on the coast has a burst pipe under the floor ! (water had been drained all winter and we just turned it back on last weekend as we are now in Spring, and it was 18 degrees here this time last year ! )

I have totted the cost of all this up and latest estimate is about £650 we just hadn't budgeted for - and all within 8 days.

And to top it all, called in to see Dad after work tonight as usual and he was agitated and upset because he had been phoning me all afternoon (he has lost a set of keys) and 'a cheeky wee midden of a wummin was very rude - she wouldn't tell him what my phone number was and said she didn't know who I was !' He said he phoned a few times, and she was ruder every time !!!!! :confused:

Some woman, somewhere nearby, had a very frustrating afternoon then, plagued by an elderly gentleman looking for his daughter !!:eek::eek::eek:

I have all my contact details in big writing by the phone, but goodness knows what number he was calling, poor soul.

Sorry for the length of the rant, I am exhausted by all the events/breakdowns/work/home/worrying and in the middle of it all was Mothers Day - and I missed my mum so much this year the pain felt physical.

Thanks all

M xx:)

3littlepigs

Sep 15, 2010
Derbyshire
Time out.....

You need some time out gal. Take yourself off for a cuppa and a sticky bun somewhere. Buy a magazine and enjoy an hour.
Don't wait for someone to give you the time just take it. You need and deserve it.:D

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
thankyou 3littlepigs, no sticky buns in the house - but there is a large packet of minstrels hiding in the cupboard, and I think it has my name on it ...............:D

M xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77