Care home does not provide promised activities

JaneyD

Feb 23, 2012
One of the important factors I was looking for when looking for a care home for my Mum was that they should offer residents regular activities and stimulation and the Manager of the home I chose said they would provide this. However, this has very rarely happened in the 6 months she has been there. The home has very few residents (normally between 12 and 16) most of whom have dementia and the staff tell me that they take people on but they don’t like the job and leave after a very short while. I appreciate it can’t be an easy job but at present the residents spend a great deal of the day sitting in front of a television, which very few of them watch, with little or no stimulation and I feel this is bad for them. I accept that my Mum would often refuse to join in with such activities but on the occasions when she has done it appears to have done her good. Have other people had this problem and have they been able to do anything about it? I do my best to help her when I visit but she really needs more than this.

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Hi Jenny

We had a similar problem in that mum was initially placed in a small home which didn't offer any activities other than TV. Like you we wanted an environment that stimulated her and unfotunately this has meant moving her to a new more appropriate home. May not be a solution but there are good homes available.

:)

ninianna

Apr 10, 2012
Hi JaneyD
I have had just the same issues. I have spoken to the home about the need to keep Mum busy as she becomes agitated if she has nothing to occupy her. She has never been a TV watcher but this still seems to be a constant presence. I asked to be involved with her care planning and have suggested lots of simple everyday tasks and activities they could try with her (peeling veg, folding laundry, vacuuming her room, weeding the garden, etc) - all tasks she did at home up to a few months ago. Unfortunately staffing levels never seem to be enough to give enough 1:1 time but they have employed a volunteer to come and be with Mum once a week, so hopefully this may help. Only time will tell.
I do find it frustrating that the 'carer' role seems to be just that and focuses on basic cleanliness and care rather than quality of life and maintaining skills for as long as possible. All I can suggest is that you go back to the home and talk to them about your concerns with some suggestions for improvement that may help your Mum to stay occupied.
Hope this helps
ninianna

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
I really sympathise with this scenario. My mother also gets very agitated with nothing to do. Luckily for us her care home do provide activities and even though she is very dismissive of them and says she never does any, as of course she doesnt remember, I know she does having arrived sometimes when she is involved in things...!

In addition, we pay a team of individuals to come in four times a week and take her out for a walk / cup of tea in the local town, a drive or just a chat for a couple of hours. We then see her at weekends when we are up. This may not be possible for you or indeed appropriate, but it works really well for us. I sought them out, they all live locally and are mainly retired nurses with years of experience of dementia. Just a thought. Otherwise maybe it is worth looking at another home if there is one in your area (which I know is a big upheaval for everyone) if you cant get any further action from the current one?

JaneyD

Feb 23, 2012
Many thanks for all your help. Unfortunately it sounds as though there may be a problem with the size of the care home. I picked it in part because it is small and quiet and therefore suitable for my Mum. Although it's difficult to engage with most of the residents, the presence of a lively chatty person makes such a difference and someone just making and putting up Halloween decorations lifted the whole atmosphere. Otherwise the care is good so it would be a pity to move her. The proposal now is for one of the care staff to do a few hours on activities so I'll see if that happens and then think again. Poor Mum can barely walk, her speech is very unclear and she gets very depressed, frustrated and badly behaved but the last activities lady got her singing again which seemed a minor miracle to me.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Do they put music on instead of TV, Janey? I often have a little grumble as the TV is often on in mum's home, andI took along several dvds of musicals and scenery, but very often they have music too and those who can, sing along or just listen. As you say, many in mum's lounge can't do very much, but the activities lady there is lovely and really tries her best, with word games and photos of filmstars etc that my mum enjoys. As mum is probably still the most able person there, I think she probably does benefit from more 1-1 time than anyone. They also have a pat dog who comes in, and even some owls, a while ago, as well as some local entertainers, but often mum doesn't want to go into the dining room where there are too many people and therefore sometimes misses out, which is a shame. I think AgeUK have a befriending service, so would your mum benefit from some 1-1 from a befriender?

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hi janeyd

Its the same in my mums CH, when I went to have a look round I met the activities co ordinator, only a young lad but he seemed to know what he was doing. Was giving the impression that it was a daily thing doing activities with them. My mum is not really a taking part person but just loves to watch other people doing them. Every time we visit, they are all just sat in the lounge area, with the tv on very loud and her just staring into space, cant get an answer out of her has to what she has been doing, she's forgot. Has soon has we walk through the door, when ever she hears the doorbell she is up out of her chair and demands we take her out. I then feel guilty cos some of the other ladies say I wish I could go out. When I approached the manager she always says" Oh you missed it, we had a music afternoon and your mum was dancing." Mmm not sure, but other than be there 24/7 what can we do?

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport
One of the important factors I was looking for when looking for a care home for my Mum was that they should offer residents regular activities and stimulation and the Manager of the home I chose said they would provide this. However, this has very rarely happened in the 6 months she has been there. The home has very few residents (normally between 12 and 16) most of whom have dementia and the staff tell me that they take people on but they don’t like the job and leave after a very short while. I appreciate it can’t be an easy job but at present the residents spend a great deal of the day sitting in front of a television, which very few of them watch, with little or no stimulation and I feel this is bad for them. I accept that my Mum would often refuse to join in with such activities but on the occasions when she has done it appears to have done her good. Have other people had this problem and have they been able to do anything about it? I do my best to help her when I visit but she really needs more than this.

am a carer, and its mainly because of cuts that activitys have been stopped, but this wont be said to you. my mum was in a care home and i took her out myself, its the only way to know there getting out and having the stimulation they need. one ladie i asked what would she like to do , and as deaf wrote it down. she said have a friend !!!!! i sorted out a group that she could go to , put was refused as she didnt qualify , always to do with money am afraid , my spelling may be bad sorry just had a stroke, from carer, paul

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport

also if theres a high turnover of staff normally means a breakdown between staff and management, resulting in poor care, as this is vital that staff get on when careing communication is the key . yes it is hard work, and poorly paid but this isnt normally from my experience why people leave. as we all know the situation before we start

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Hi Janey
Dad’s first home was like this. When we initially visited and before deciding were told there were lots of activities and entertainment provided but the reality was very different. From time to time there’d be something going on but for the most part it was sitting around a tv with muted sound. For some of the residents due to the advanced stage of their illnesses, it would have been much harder or even impossible to engage them but for others who were more alert it was sad as they were just left to vegetate. However dad’s second home is much better and they employ a daily 9-5 activities co-ordinator who is the star of the home and enthuses all those who are able to join in. She also provides some emotional support to the residents and if she sees someone looking unhappy or distressed will always try to cheer them up. Every day there’s something different eg. skittles, scrabble, chair football, quiz, sing-alongs and it makes the home a much more cheerful place to visit. There are quiet areas to sit too for those residents who would rather not participate or find the noise aggravating. Although it wasn’t the only reason for moving dad, it was definitely one of the factors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell