Citalopram

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
hi there
I have just here been re-directed here by Izzy - thanks Izzy . My husband (64yrs)has early to mid stage Alzheimer's and had become very verbally abusive and very hard to live with. I knew that this was a part of the terrible disease, but I needed help before life got too difficult. He was not due for his 6 monthly check-up at the hospital, but I had him at his GP's rooms on another matter. I had slipped the GP a note (as I do if there is something that needs to be discussed and not wanting to discuss it in front of him), and the GP directed his questioning accordingly. He prescribed Citalopram 20g once daily in the morning. The effect was more or less immediate. He has not raised his voice or argued once since starting the medication. Life is SO much more pleasant. He still has the memory problems (I just wish there was pill for that too) but this is easier to deal with without the constant verbal battles.

TaraT

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester
Hi,

That's great news. I'm in this situation with my mum at the moment and I'm finding it really difficult to care for her for long periods of time. Interestingly she has just been prescribed the same thing. How long did it take to have an impact?

Thanks
Tara

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
Hi Tara

He took the1st pill in the morning after we saw the GP, and he hasn't had a cross word since. Almost magic! It has only been a week since he started taking them, but long may the effects last, it is so much easier to cope with the other aspects of the disease

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
How wonderful di. I wish it had been prescribed for my husband. I hope your husband`s good humour lasts.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
My mum takes it, and it has really helped her anxiety. She initially got worse and head banged quite a bit (it is sometimes the case that you get worse for a couple of weeks before you get better, as the seretonin has to build up in the brain or something). I couldn't imagine how life might have been without it.

Take care xx:)

grahamR

Jul 20, 2012
North Somerset
Hi Di

Nice to hear the medication is working well, however once your husband has been taking it for a while don't let him stop without referring to your GP. I have been on Citalopram for 12 years following a stroke (now on 40mg), and one day on my own judgement decided to see if I could go without. Three days later I had major problems with panic attacks, hallucinations etc. My GP then told me that it is important to be weaned off them slowly. I went back on them and am now am finding that since being diagnosed with Vascular D last year, I can cope with my problems and the outlook with a smile. In fact many times my family and I have a good laugh about some of my lapses.

Long may your good news last.

Regards

Graham

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Hi Di

Nice to hear the medication is working well, however once your husband has been taking it for a while don't let him stop without referring to your GP. I have been on Citalopram for 12 years following a stroke (now on 40mg), and one day on my own judgement decided to see if I could go without. Three days later I had major problems with panic attacks, hallucinations etc. My GP then told me that it is important to be weaned off them slowly. I went back on them and am now am finding that since being diagnosed with Vascular D last year, I can cope with my problems and the outlook with a smile. In fact many times my family and I have a good laugh about some of my lapses.

Long may your good news last.

I am pleased the medication is working well for you all.
Graham, did your panic attacks and hallucinations cease when you went back on Citalopram?
The reason Im asking is that my son was in a similar position to you. On the advise of his GP he withdrew over a 2 week period with disastrous consequences and he is now facing 2, if not 3 operations. He should have withdrawn over at least 3 months. I have also wondered if going back on the medication might sort out/help his problem, but he has probably left it too late. I cant get an answer/opinion from anyone, have phoned the manufacturer for advice, his 2 consultants say 'he can try if he wants' and the GP that he has nothing to lose by going back on citalopram, but my son is now reluctant to.
GP's dont always get it right, from our experience all pills should be reduced more slowly.

Coletta x