Dad Fell Out of Bed at CH

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Thank you everybody once more – this doesn’t seem such an uncommon problem and it’s funny how things you once didn’t bat an eyelid about can suddenly become a major issue. Yes, I was told about a risk assessment having to be carried about before rails could be used – apparently 5 residents in dad’s CH of 40 have them. Sorry craftyviola to hear about your MIL, that's v sad and hope the head scan isn’t as bad as you fear. After a long sleep have woken feeling better so will try and enjoy my day off from visiting and hopefully by tomorrow the arnica might have had a little effect!

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi Pheath, just wanted to say my dad used to fall a lot too, and like your dad had very little use of his arms, so his poor old head always took the worst of it, often his glasses did him some damage too. I always said his head must have been made of tough stuff. While he wasat home with us, I was always frightened that he would fall. Like you too, once he went into the nursing home, I would dread the phone ringing as often it was due to dad falling. He walked using a frame, and was told that he must ring if he needed to go anywhere and not go on his own - although he didn't have diagnosed dementia he was very confused towards the end of his life and just didn't think to press his buzzer. I always got a huge shock when I saw his poor face, he used to bruise terribly as his blood was thin too, as was his skin. He tripped on a stair when he was at home and the skin on his arm just was paper thin and wrinkled like the skin on custard, took ages to heal, poor old chap.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I just though I'd add my two-pennyworth for good measure! My husband fell out of bed a year ago despite bed rails being in place. As he has only the one leg now, he sometimes lies a bit lopsided and he slipped out in the space between those at the top and those at the bottom. The home changed him to a low-rise hospital bed as opposed to the standard-rise and he has been fine ever since. If he fell out now, he would only fall a few inches.

I believe that Loo has mentioned a sort of alarm mat for people who get out of bed, wouold this be a possibility, maybe.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Thank you Dazmum. I know it’s constant worry isn’t it and can imagine your dad wearing glasses must have compounded things considerably. Thankfully dad’s skin isn’t too thin at present and he’s normally fairly robust and bounces back from things given a little time but the initial shock of seeing how he looked yesterday really affected me.

And Saffie, thank you too. I’m definitely going to explore if his bed can be lowered as that’s an excellent idea. An alarm mat was mentioned although am not sure they were going to do this straight away. A lot of vigiliance from staff is needed at night.Your poor husband, I hope he wasn’t too hurt when he fell.

Last edited:

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Hi Pheath,

I don't have any words of wisdom as I had no experience of this with my husband, but just wanted to say that I'm so very sorry you have had this happen. I hope your dad will soon be back to how he was before although I would imagine that the bruising may take a while to fade.

Much love xx

angelmarbella

May 29, 2010
Marbella, Spain
Hugs @Pheath

Was so sorry to hear of your Dad's fall. I think the same thing happened to my Mum last week. Her face is badly bruised down the right side and under the eye. The staff never saw her fall but said the bruising started to come out about 10 am. It would add up. I think it is likely she did fall out of bed too. Her face is healing now but it has gone all yellow and the bruising under her eye has gone down.

I now realise that they cannot be watching her 24/7.

I never wrote a thread about it but I too was terribly upset for her especially as she didn't realise she had hurt her face but she must have silently been in pain and couldn't express it. I could have wept for her.

If you remember the day that happened I wrote a thread on being really upset and sad for Mum - this was prompted by her bruising. And you were among several others who brought me comfort.

I see from the responses you are getting that this is not an uncommon thing alas.

Stay strong, we are all here to mutually support each other.

By the way, I sent you a message, did you get it?

Angel xx

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Pheath,

So sorry to hear about your dads fall. Dad fell out of bed a few times but I think as he was asleep when he fell the injurys were slight. He did damage his nose once. It does sound like bed rails are not the best solution right now, they are more trouble if your dad is mobile as some have said. It is a worry but it's good the home are keeping you informed. Two solutions I have seen in care homes.

1. Make sure one side of the bed is against a wall. Put another matress by the side of the bed, so at least if you dad does fall the fall is broken. The mattress can be thin and easily stored under the bed during the day.

2. Pressure pad monitor (fit under a rug by side of bed) - this just ensures that if your dad falls he is not left for too long. I've seen these used a lot of homes as the night ratio of staff is normally low. Something like this http://www.nrs-uk.co.uk/care-call-under-carpet-pressure-pad-monitor.html - best to shop around.

Just my thoughts
Kind Regards
Craig

caravaner

Aug 22, 2011
wales
Hi Pheath,

My mother fell apparently getting out of bed a week ago and broke her hip. She had a pressure pad under her mattress so that they knew she had got up but by the time they got to her she had already fallen.

My mother sleeps in a normal bed - wooden slatted. The flooring in her room is wood flooring - so not a very soft fall.

I know how you feel and it makes you nervous that it will happen again.

She got through the operation and is now doing quite well. In fact, when I visited her yesterday in hosp she was more aware and talkative than I have seen her in months while in the care home.

Don't know what the answer is for your dad & my mum but perhaps softer flooring cover etc. might be helpful.

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Hi there,

so sorry to hear that your father has had another accident. as others have said the home will find a solution to the problem.

as Craig C has said ask the home to put your fathers bed against the wall with a mattress and the floor next to his bed. they have done this for my MIL as she has also had a fall from her bed lick would have it she has done no damage.

hope your father has no lasting effects from his fall and he makes a speedy recovery.

jan1962

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Winda – thank you. Your response means a great deal especially knowing how much you’re going through a present. Do hope you’re bearing up. Love Px

Angel – am so sorry your mum also suffered a similar fall recently and remember well the post you wrote that night. There’s something very distressing about seeing someone with facial bruising, it really brings home their vulnerability and as you say the worry they’re in pain and unable to express it is upsetting. True, it’s almost impossible to prevent falls even in the best of homes, all that can be done is to minimise risks. Sorry I didn’t receive your message. I’ll have a clear out of my inbox in case it’s full up and will of course respond if it comes through. Px

Craig – appreciate your very useful suggestions. Would be great if we could move dad’s bed against the wall but unfortunately the logistics of the room as it’s quite small prevent it. I really like the pressure pad monitor and will look into this further.

Caravaner – very sorry your mum sustained such a serious injury after falling from bed. Really brings home to you how serious it can be and hope this thread also helps you with some ideas for the future.

Jan 1962 – thanks for your comments. Wish now we could change dad’s room so he had more space to move the bed next to the wall. As it stands one side is taken up with the sink and the other by a massive wardrobe and the bed that side would interfere with the door.

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
My Mother with Alzheimer’s report said on many times "fell out of bed"

My Mother with Alzheimer’s report said on many times "fell out of bed", oh really. Bed was in middle of room, but bruises always on her left side of the face.
But sometimes people do, particularly frail people with low mobility skills have falls.
There is a pressure pad monitor, which can measure different parts of the bed, giving a good indication that a person will fall out of bed or is moving out of bed. The issue of a floor sensor is a bit late.
Ask to see the risk assessment for the use of bed rails , and ask to see the accident report, hope the home have done them, if not why not.
Good idea at this time to have a review of his medication, many drugs help to the increase in falls issues in care homes.
Must say am concerned about your comment about room size, many rooms are not suitable for use, have this checked be the CQC. You could ask next time the inspector calls to use your husband as one of the residents to track. Inspectors will often track a person to get an overall impression of the home. Pity, not all residents are tracked though.

@DementiaView

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Thank you Chris, you've given me a lot of food for thought there and understand better now the difference between the floor sensor and pressure pad monitor as originally thought they were the same things.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi

I know the home have said they won't put anything along your dads bed due to cling over it but what about a bed guard that you use for children? They only go part way along the bed so he could still get out of bed if he wanted to?

Just a thought, they may still say no. I used to use a guard and have a cot bed mattress on the floor when my children were 1st in a bed. Maybe a mattress of that sort of size would help? Not too big that it's in the way but still a soft landing.

Take care
Sharon

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
I should say, it’s the local authority which you should contact – the social worker

Thanks for your reply.

But in my hast, I should say, it’s the local authority which you should contact – the social worker, who may refer to an occupational therapist OT for a professional assessment regarding falls. And if the social worker has not done a review in the last year, they should do one.

You may also see if the home has done a falls risk assessment, one is “FRASE”, but there are others. But I have found care home workers do not fully or have been trained in the use of assessment tools effectively, some reports being worthless. So this is why I suggest the social worker route to an OT.

Yours www.twitter.com/DementiaView

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Chris – thanks again for this additional advice. I visited dad today and was happier that a soft mat had been placed by his bed and also the direction he sleeps in has been altered so he’s on his more comfortable side. Any furniture near the bed has been moved so there are no hard objects nearby. I’ve been assured he will be checked regularly through the night and the staff were incredibly apologetic and feel have had a bit of a fright too and really want minimise the risk of it happening again. I’m a little hesitant to make waves with the LA at this stage, the home in general have a v good reputation & up until now we’ve been more than satisfied with the standard of care and H&S, but if it happens again will reconsider taking things further.