Introduction / NHS continuing healthcare

Paul60

Oct 3, 2012
Western Australia
I would just like to introduce myself to the forum.
I currently reside in Australia but have been heavily involved in the care of my Mother who has had AD and vascular dementia for the past 6 years in the North West of the UK.
During the last 3 years her condition has worsened to a point where she is now totally reliant on nursing home staff.She is now immobile unless physically moved by hoist and cannot communicate her needs or eat solids.
We are now in the nightmare of applying for NHS continuing healthcare ( DST assessment Completed and refused on the grounds of no health need ) I am interested to hear from anybody who has experienced this ordeal. It has added stress to an already difficult situation. The response of Social workers and assessment coordinators,who do not appear independent, has been very negative to the family.
I note Mr Cameron's response to AD on your website as a disease similar to cancer but in reality this is not how the NHS or local authority sees it.
Our primary concern as a family is with the welfare of my Mother and always will be but until her assets ( house) are exhausted she remains self funded.Apparently in Scotland and Wales this is not the case ( no discrimination there?).
Please share your experiences because I find it shameful and the additional stress on the family is starting to show. Perhaps this is in the design.
Thankyou

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning Paul.

I have no experience to help you but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. We have a few members who live in Australia and have relatives living in UK who suffer from dementia. I'm sure there will be people along soon who have the experience to help you.

Take care. x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Paul and welcome to Talking Point,

Edited to add that my response is not meant to represent an interpretation of the National Framework but is an accurate reflection of more than one CHC assessment which I have attended. As the original post was relating to a relative in a nursing home I limited my reply to that and not to the full range of CHC options which may be provided for by the NF. Unfortunately these days many places apply their own interpretation of the rules to suit their purse.

It does sound like you're having a negative experience with regards to your application for CHC for your mum. It must also be so difficult for you to oversee things like this when you are so far away. Does your mum have any relatives living in the UK or are they all overseas?

So far as the CHC application goes, I can see why some of the assessors would have said there was no CHC need. In order to qualify your needs have to be such that they can only be met in a hospital type situation. By this they mean that your mum's care would only be able to be carried out by qualified medical personnel. The NHS can however discharge their responsibility for the care to a nursing care home in order to free up beds in the hospital by paying for the full cost of that care.

As part of the assessment, they will examine every aspect of your mum's needs and will decide whether each one requires medically qualified staff to carry it out or if it can be done by non-medically qualified carers in the home. There is a big difference between someone needing the majority of their care provided by medical staff than just needing the services of a medically qualified person to be there "just in case" the need arises.

So, you say your mum is immobile and has to be moved by using a hoist. In the assessment this would be able to be carried out by trained carers. Problems with communication don't need qualified medical staff - the carers can deal with this and can refer specific problems to the local nurse if they need occasional advice etc. Eating pureed food, this can be given to your mum by the carers. It might need to be reviewed by the nurse now and again to see if there are any issues (eg say, some weight loss).

So back to the assessment again, you will have scored quite low on the need for full time nursing/medical care because your mum's needs can be met in the whole by the carers in the home with the nursing staff having oversight. What you might find that you are granted is Funded Nursing Care which is around £108 per week and this is used to fund the nursing care in a nursing home - eg everyone's FNC allowance contributes to the salary of the nurses who are employed there. I would certainly ask about this but yet again there has to be some measure of nursing needs there before they will even grant that.

I obviously don't know the full extent of your mum's needs, but I am trying to explain to you how they will have done the assessment. The bar for getting CHC is really quite high and often only comes in to play during end of life type scenarios where there may be the need for constant 24/7 medical attention.

Not sure why you think the situation in Scotland and Wales is any different. Everyone there has to contribute to their care until their savings reach £23,500, same as in England and if that means that their assets have to be sold then that is what they would be expected to do. I can assure you that if Scotland was a freebie in terms of health care then it would be packed full of pensioners who will have decided to move up north just in case the worst happens! Hmmm now I come to think of it.........<just kidding>

Hope this helps and that you get things resolved to your satisfaction,

Fiona

Last edited:

Scraggedbloke

Jun 11, 2011
Skegness Lincs
NHS continuing healthcare is assessed via the DST assessment.

The DST looks at many elements of NURSING CARE and then arrives as at a score and recommendation.

The recommendation can be for no funding, part funding or full funding.

The recommendation goes to a panel who can agree, disagree or ask for further evidence.

If full funding is given, it is reviewed after 3 months and can be withdrawn.

It appears to me that the recommendation is based on the need for NURSES to to carry out multiple tasks, so if the condition gets worst and the tasks are based around someone that is bedridden, those tasks are mainly carried out by CARERS, so NHS funding is not given.

I may be wrong????

ScraggED Bloke

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
Sorry Izzy, Fimo and Scraggedbloke but you're not correct on this matter. NHS Continuing care funding can be provided in any setting ie. a care home, hospital or at home. I looked after my mum at home and she received NHS Continuing care funding. The care given does not have to be by a medically trained person - I have no medical qualifications at all. The whole subject is a minefield and little understood by the general public and many of those who are supposed to implement it. I suggest you download 'The national framework for NHS continuing healthcare', it's a revised edition dated 22 July 2009. You'll need to know it inside out and back to front. There are others on this forum who can explain it much more succinctly than I can and I hope they will see this post and respond.
Wishing you the best of luck.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Paul and welcome to Talking Point :).

This factsheet from Age UK is a good introduction to CHC, and contains links to the National Framework which are more heavy going, but essential reading for anyone applying for CHC.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
From what you say I feel you should appeal to the appropriate office for Continuing Care. An appeal is usually reviewed by a peer support group which will be from outside your Mother's own area.

I had a similar situation and received much helpful advice from the Volunteer Support Group.

You will probably find phone calls difficult but you may well get useful advice by emailing. The contact details are on the Support Group link above.

Continuing Healthcare can be given in any setting providing the persons 'primary health needs' are sufficient to qualify.

If you google National Framework for Continuing Healthcare, you will find this rather lengthy complicated document. Its well worth reading up if you want to make the Appeal.

Let us know how you get along. Best wishes

hopeful56

Jun 17, 2009
Midlands
Be wary of incorrect advice here

Sorry to say that some people are giving you incorrect advice here and some of the replies to this query are very negative indeed. The National Framework explicitly states that the care can be delivered by anyone, in any setting (ie care home or person's own home). Carers delivering the care certainly do not need to be medically qualified.

If you google the National Framework for Continuing Healthcare 2009 you will get to a link for the Dept of Health. Take a look at the (rather long) document and you will see that for yourself.

Good luck and do come back as and when you have new questions.

JJ

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Hello Paul, sorry to read of your troubles. Long and perhaps boring post follows, but it's beginning to depress me to see how so many people have to struggle with misleading information coming their way. So, my apologies, Paul for hogging your thread!

The response of Social workers and assessment coordinators,who do not appear independent, has been very negative to the family.
That is the norm, I’m afraid – the majority are negative about CHC and do their very best to give out misleading information about the whole process. Usually the reason for this is that they have not undertaken the appropriate training to understand it, and they should not be in a position to influence the thinking of others. There is a continuing healthcare postcode lottery still at work in England.
In order to qualify your needs have to be such that they can only be met in a hospital type situation. By this they mean that your mum's care would only be able to be carried out by qualified medical personnel. The NHS can however discharge their responsibility for the care to a nursing care home in order to free up beds in the hospital by paying for the full cost of that care.

As part of the assessment, they will examine every aspect of your mum's needs and will decide whether each one requires medically qualified staff to carry it out or if it can be done by non-medically qualified carers in the home. There is a big difference between someone needing the majority of their care provided by medical staff than just needing the services of a medically qualified person to be there "just in case" the need arises.
Fifimo, I have to disagree with much of your post, I’m afraid, but in particular the above quote from it. To qualify for CHC you have to have a ‘primary health need’. There is nowhere that I’ve read that says that those needs have to be such that they can only be met in a hospital type situation, or that the care could only be able to be carried out by qualified medical personnel.
It appears to me that the recommendation is based on the need for NURSES to to carry out multiple tasks, so if the condition gets worst and the tasks are based around someone that is bedridden, those tasks are mainly carried out by CARERS, so NHS funding is not given.
Scraggedbloke, There is no need for NURSES to carry out the caring.

The confusion is often caused by the use of the word ‘nursing’ care. That does not mean care carried out by Registered Nurses, or by care workers.

Here is the Royal College of Nursing’s definition of ‘nursing’:
http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/78569/001998.pdf

The use of clinical judgement in the provision of care to enable people to improve,
maintain, or recover health, to cope with health problems, and to achieve the best
possible quality of life, whatever their disease or disability, until death.

Not all nursing is undertaken by qualified nurses, any more than all teaching is undertaken by qualified teachers. Other people who ‘nurse’ include relatives, other informal carers, and a variety of care assistants and support workers. Their contribution to care is invaluable, but it is different from that of the professional nurse.

The distinction between professional nursing and the nursing undertaken by other people does not lie in the type of task performed, nor in the level of skill that is required to perform a particular task.”

The National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care 2009 (revised):
NB. NHS CHC and NHS FNC are not one and the same thing – they are vastly different. An assessment for NHS CHC should be completed before any assessment for NHS funded Nursing Care.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_103161.pdf

I'm posting only a selection of those that apply to some comments on TP (only? Thank goodness for that I hear you cry! :cool:).

Paragraph 8 of the NF on page 4:
Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare places no limits on the settings in which the package of support can be offered or on the type of service delivery.

Para 24:
Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare must always be considered prior to any consideration of eligibility for NHS-funded nursing care.

Para 25:
Where a person’s primary need is a health need, they are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. Deciding whether this is the case involves looking at the totality of the relevant needs. Where an individual has a primary health need and is therefore eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, the NHS is responsible for providing all of that individual’s assessed needs – including accommodation, if that is part of the overall need.

NB: “.... including accommodation, if that is part of the overall need” indicates that those living in their own homes can still qualify for NHS CHC.

Para 28:
...... Instead, a practical approach to eligibility is required – one that will apply to a range of different circumstances, including situations in which the ‘incidental or ancillary’ test is not applicable because, for example, the person is to be cared for in their own home.

Para 46:
Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare is based on an individual’s assessed health needs. The diagnosis of a particular disease or condition is not in itself a determinant of eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare.

Para 47:
NHS continuing healthcare may be provided by PCTs in any setting (including, but not limited to, a care home, hospice or the person’s own home). Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare is, therefore, not determined or influenced either by the setting where the care is provided or by the characteristics of the person who delivers the care.

Para 56:
It should always be borne in mind that assessment of eligibility that takes place in an acute hospital may not always reflect an individual’s capacity to maximise their potential. This could be because, with appropriate support, that individual has the potential to recover further in the near future.

(As far as I know, there has only been one person ever known to recover from dementia.)

Para 63:
Whoever applies the checklist should be familiar with, and have regard to, the content and principles of this guidance and the Decision Support Tool (see paragraphs 67–78).

Para 69:
The Decision Support Tool should be used following a comprehensive multidisciplinary assessment of an individual’s health and social care needs and their desired outcomes. If a multidisciplinary assessment has recently already been completed, this may be used; but care should be taken to ensure that it provides an accurate reflection of current need.

Please read the full National Framework here: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_103161.pdf

Also read the Coughlan and Grogan references at the end of the above link.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya JPG,

You are entitled to disagree if you know differently. I think the difference between us is what the rules say versus the reality of how different authorities choose to interpret them, particularly when they are carrying out the assessment. My assertion was based on what I was specifically told on more than one CHC assessment which I attended and listened whilst everyone on the assessment panel went through every aspect of the form in laborious detail. I know what the rules say but I also know that they are not be applied or interpreted as I suspect they were origninally meant.

Bottom line is that people shouldn't have to be struggling like they are to get a standard of care that they quite clearly require and that the regulations provide for.

Hope this helps clarify what I posted and why I posted in that manner.

Fiona
x

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I think the difference between us is what the rules say versus the reality of how different authorities choose to interpret them, particularly when they are carrying out the assessment.
Hi Fiona, thanks for clarifying that. I don't disagree that there is what I now call a continuing healthcare postcode lottery.

I am merely concerned that so many people may have read your post as being one related to the National Framework itself, rather than an 'interpretation' of it. And, as you know, it is the incorrect interpretations of the NF that are doing the damage. Not the original NF itself. (Although I have concerns about that too! :rolleyes:) So I have had no choice but to quote from the original, rather than rely on what A or B or C may have said through ignorance. Not knowing is the most common reason why so many people fail to achieve CHC, alongside the intricacy of the assessment process.

Perhaps I work from the other end, if you pardon the expression. I find it appalling that there are so very many Social Workers, NHS CHC assessors, Care Home mangers, GPs .... the list is endless .... who have never read the 'rules' as you call them - but they are, in fact, more than rules really; it is statutory Guidance handed down to support decisions made in the name of the NHS and laws that already exist, plus loads of case law - Coughlan, and Grogan and others - and that came about as a result of the fiasco that existed prior to 2003/4 and earlier, then 2007 when the first NF came about.

What you were told at CHC assessments was wrong, and I should now rest my case. If the comments you have made came via CHC assessments, the people conducting the assessments require further training.

Please forgive me, Fiona, but as you know, I've been bitten hard by 'systems' in place, so I will forever question some of the 'words spoken' by those who should be in better control of the knowledge they hand out, as if gospel.

Have a good weekend. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry Izzy, Fimo and Scraggedbloke but you're not correct on this matter. NHS Continuing care funding can be provided in any setting ie. a care home, hospital or at home. I looked after my mum at home and she received NHS Continuing care funding. The care given does not have to be by a medically trained person - I have no medical qualifications at all. The whole subject is a minefield and little understood by the general public and many of those who are supposed to implement it. I suggest you download 'The national framework for NHS continuing healthcare', it's a revised edition dated 22 July 2009. You'll need to know it inside out and back to front. There are others on this forum who can explain it much more succinctly than I can and I hope they will see this post and respond.

Izzy??? Mowood I made no comment at all other than welcoming Paul. I have no experience of this and would not presume to make any comments in relation to it.

All I would say in relation to the comment about Scotland is that we have free personal care for the elderly. I know that to be true as my husband gets it and my mother got it.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire

MoWood,

If you check my post I never said that CHC could not be carried out at home. I said that the NHS can discharge their responsibilities to a care home because Paul's mother is in a care home.

Fiona

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hi Paul - sadly it does seem to be a "post code lottery" for CHCF. If you search CHCF on this site you will find several references to it already which might help you. It does seem to be a minefield and having to fight for funding when already stressed is something we could all do without - all we want is what is best for our loved ones.

Despite having AZ, Parkinsons, being doubly incontinent, unable to walk unaided, falling most days, has no communication at all, choking-very badly so all food has to be pureed and drinks thickened, therefore needing 24/7 care, he was still turned down for CHCF. I have put in an appeal via a Solicitor as that seems to be the only way we MIGHT get the funding. Good luck. Sox

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think the problem is 'The State' is reluctant to define Alzheimers or any other sort of dementia as a medical need. Needs money, needs a budget of it's own. It is an issue that must be addressed. By Parliament not councils. The Labour Party were going to introduce a Care Health Sytem, that would have run along the lines of NHS. I hope they include it in their new manifesto.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi Fiona

I would just like to add that, in my view, your analysis of the reality of CHC assessments would make for a much clearer framework than the current ambiguous mess. At least we'd all know where we stand.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Chemmy,

I hear what you say. However, Fiona's post was only about 'her' reality of her CHC assessments.

Fiona's reality is possibly very different from 'someone' else's reality of their own CHC assessments. The information Fiona was given during her assessments, is far removed from the real content of the NF. So it was inaccurate.

That's what the continuing healthcare postcode lottery is all about. The National Framework is being badly translated into the 'reality' of other people's lives. That's why it's taking people years to work their way through all the appeals, and then managing to overturn the previous 'incorrect' decisions made. That is extremely distressing all round.

Surely it is more important for the existing National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare (revised July 2009) to be clarified on the forum, and explained properly, rather than giving newcomers to CHC the impression that Fiona's experience was the only reality.

It certainly wasn't clear to me (or to some others who posted on the thread) that Fiona was citing her own experience only. The impression given was that it related to the NF as it 'should' be interpreted in general, and that was very misleading.

That's why I am grateful to Fiona for the fact that she went back and edited her original post to make it clear that it was only her reality, some aspects of which would have been incredibly misleading if left unchallenged. I appreciate the fact that Fiona took that on board.

The whole point of the NF when it was first introduced in 2007 was that it should remove the regional/county-based/local interpretations. We all know it failed in that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still try to make sure it is interpreted correctly by the CHC assessors.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
There is a continuing healthcare postcode lottery still at work in England.... To qualify for CHC you have to have a ‘primary health need’. .

What I have yet to see, on TP or anywhere else, is clarification of what is meant by "primary health needs".

If that was done (and this is what the authorities in Fiona's area have presumably tried to do, even if you don't agree with their interpretation) then we could all - service users and professionals alike - decide if they are applicable in a particular situation.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Funny that you should ask, Chemmy, because I am in the process of tracking one down. As you know, there's no formal/legal definition of the term; it was conjured out of thin air by the DoH and Sec of State.

But Coughlan gave the best example pre-NF: where the primary need (for care) is a Health Need, then the responsibility is that of the NHS, even when the individual has been placed in a home by a local authority.” That's where the Coughlan Test came from.

The judgment also said that the ‘vast majority’ of people in nursing homes should have their care fees fully-funded by the NHS, and that only if someone’s health care needs are ‘incidental’ to their overall care needs should the responsibility be passed to Social Services.

That phrase from the Coughlan judgment was subsequently conveniently adapted and diverted!

There was a brilliant document on a local authority website that I found a couple of years ago now, that gave the closest-to-reality explanation of it all. Surprise, surprise - it has now been removed from that LA website. But I think I may have found another one. I'm going to have to read all 30 pages first though, before venturing to post any of it here. (No, I won't post the lot! Just selected extracts. ;))

In the meantime, this may help - just put 'primary health' in the search box :
NHS CHC Practice Guidance
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh.../@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_115477.pdf

The NHS Continuing Healthcare (Responsibilities) Directions 2009
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh.../@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_106175.pdf

PS. I don't think that's what Fiona's bods were trying to do - or if they were, they botched it badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul60

Oct 3, 2012
Western Australia
Thankyou all for comments received so far.It clearly shows the breadth of this subject.
In response
- Firstly in the positive my Mum is in a safe environment and is in a place that can monitor her 24/7.
- To clarify the picture my mother is in the last phase of AD and came very close to death only 8 weeks ago, being put on the pathway.She survived but with a marked downturn in her health.She has been moved from a care home to a nursing home (Sorry I may have got my terminology wrong here-put it down to jet lag from visiting to try and sort this out).

- The NHS CHC is clearly a minefield and in my experience(based on discussions)is applied differently throughout the country. Recent statistics confirm this and it depends on which area you live.
- There is a distinct difference to the DST framework descriptions and how they are scored.According to the guidelines my Mum scored enough points (by the assessors)in the catergories to be awarded CHC but was still refused. My feeling is that this is just a money thing and nothing to do with health.That said we must now appeal and continue the process.It is interesting that the latest forms ask if the claimant is deceased - It obviously takes that long to go through the process.
- During the review I was refused access to the review by Skype/telephone. I relied solely on my representative over in the UK.No satisfactory response has been given as to why this could not occur considering we would have used our own equipment and hence no security breach.I will be taking this up with the court of protection.
- On the subject of Scotland and Wales the main difference is that the family home is not counted in as an asset when conducting the various means tests.So if you are close to a border it is worth moving.The bodies that are quick to deny assistance are very quick in claiming their money for care against the house (currently standing in the region of £40000 ). So if you think your home is safe (England)be aware.
Sorry to vent my frustrations on everyone But my Mum and Dad (deceased)worked hard throughout their lives to build a home.When help is needed this basic principal is attacked.
- Finally I feel for others that due to misinformation are not getting what they rightly deserve or who have nobody to help them.The people who control the processes have an inherent interest in keeping it this way - mainly budget.

Thanks to all - All information is a good thing.
Let's hope that AD and other such conditions get recognition by the government of the day and are not just looked at as a phase in life.